Home Technical Talk

Beginer question 3ds max11

Hello my first post,

My model is a hot poker for a fireplace and i have split my model into 2 peices so i could add a lens effect glow to the tip of the poker.My center shaft is seperate so it doesnt contain the lens effect glow.

How would i combine these 2 peices back and yet keep the glow effect just on the tip of the poker?

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    You could use Material IDs to assign the glow to the object - just set up a specific effect ID on a material, then apply that material to the tip of the poker after combining them.
  • SiN13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't mean to hijack the thread but I've been working with lens effect glow recently and I was wondering if there was a way you could go even further and mask out the glow on the surface with a map. From what I could find there were only simple filters to apply glow by object id, material id, image hue, etc. I couldn't find anyway way to mask the glow on a material that has other parts to it that will not glow.

The best I could come up with was rendering out black and white images and create the glow in post.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    To be honest for any big project I'd probably recommend doing the glow in post anyway using masks, because it's more flexible that way - faster to re-render out just the mask and tweak the glow effect in an external app (eg. Photoshop for stills or After Effects for movies).