Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Eve and serpent-sculpt

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Dan! polycounter lvl 6
hello, more art push-ups- here is a statue study- I intend on taking this to UDK someday with some happy funtime shader work and authentic battle damage but right now here is the sculpt. C+C appreciated.
eveshotsDan.jpg

Replies

• PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    I think you should do more to hint at the body beneath the drapery. Check out these Greek statues: notice how even though they don't completely reveal the form (though some statues did), they give quite a few hints.
    http://images.travelpod.com/users/bubba_oliver/1.1217682000.greek-statue.jpg
    http://arthistory.we-wish.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/img_6646.jpg
    http://costumegirl.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/sabina-greek-statue.jpg?w=470&h=972

Even the last one is fairly easy to read, despite how heavily clothed she is. Note that I'm assuming you are going for a classicist statue look, which means you want fabric that looks thinner than what you have right now. Your fabric looks kind of mushy and thick, because of the large folds and soft transitions.

Also, the folds make it look like she's holding up the cloth on her left, but it's higher on her right hip. Not only doesn't that make sense, but it's kind of ruining your contrapposto.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Dan, dig the sculpt so far, and I think I can offer some crits that will hopefully help... though I'm not familiar with the statue you're studying.

- the anatomy is good but the pose is very stiff right now. I like the tilt in the hips, maybe try adding a similar opposite tilt in the shoulders.

- the cloth sculpt needs some work. Right now it reads very strangely, hard to tell what's underneath it, or where and how it actually folds. I'd recommend (depending on the reference statue you're using) choosing a couple spots as points of surface tension, like her left knee and outside of the right thigh. Once you've decided on points like that, you'll have a much easier time designing realistic folds that can radiate out around them.

- The bottom of the robe appears to tuck in, which makes it look a little like a bag with a hole cut in the bottom. Maybe choose a section of it to trail behind the rest, and that should help make it look more like a cloth wrap.

- the forehead recedes too much, it looks like it ends at the headband and the hair sprouts too far back to indicate a skull continuing along the front top of the head. Just pull the front of the hair out a bit and that should help.

edit - Pat ninja replied while I was writing this so some of mine's redundant now... he's right on with his crit :)
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys I appreciate the crits- I definitely needed to spend more time on the cloth- It's not perfect but its getting close to where im happy with it for this porject. Hair is a bit in the wip stages also- experimenting with some curls or tendrils- adjusted her stance and shoulder placement a bit as well. Also tooled around with the face as well..still more to go but here is the progress so far---
    evewip2.jpg
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    sculpt is mostly done- started playing with some texturing/material ideas - any crits/suggestions welcome
    evetextshots.jpg
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    I would say a lighter stone is a must, especially if you're going for a more classical look, but honestly this looks amazing.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Looks awesome. I like it a lot.

Only suggestion I would have for you, is it seems kinda off that the cloth is hanging there by magic. Seems like it would just fall right off to the ground. What I would do is, since you already have her left hand right there, just make her grab the cloth with the left hand. It would also add some cool interaction between the cloth and the figure, and gives you an easy tension point right where she holds it.
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    That looks great! I agree with Bigjohn about grabbing the cloth though.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Not crazy about the dark shader. It's bringing the color to almost black and you're losing a lot of detail imo.

ps... told ya she should hold onto the cloth :p