Home Technical Talk

Work flow help

I would say I am at the point where I know whats involved with making game art, however I am needing help on getting a work flow to work for me. Any tips on how to create my work flow? Maybe a tutorial or an article written on this subject? Really any suggestions are encouraged. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    1 draw a concept.

2 draw more of it until you have a clear idea of what you want to achieve, before even touching a 3D app.

3 Pick up a 30 trial of 3DSMax.

4 Read up on primitives creation and the edit poly modifier in the help files. You can also google for the Joan of Arc tutorial series.

5 Read up on the following modifiers : Bend, Relax, Turbosmooth, Shell, FFD

6 Once you have something, come back here for more info :D
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior, I think you misunderstood me... or I wasn't clear with my question. I know how to model low poly, high poly model, unwrap my uv's, bake my normals, texture my uv's, and export them into udk. I guess my problem is, I feel like I am all over the place and maybe I am just looking for a shortcut or a sure fire way to organize my work flow. What worked for you when you were learning?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hehe I indeed misunderstood your question, but now I dont understand the new one either hehe

I dont think you need anything else than what you know already - maybe making sure that your retopo workflow is fast and efficient, and that you bake enough source maps (AO, cavity, and so on...)

Oh and, dont save important stuff on your desktop ? hehe
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    I find this is something I frequently think about; The quest for a better workflow.

Unfortunately, because the difference in strengths, goals, and techniques can be so far from one another, it's difficult to determine what would be the most helpful, to every project, every technology, every team, and every artist.

There is a threshold where a specific task may break outside the state of predictability, and becomes an exception to the process. It is your responsibility to identify the potentials on your own.

Your motivation is to work smarter.
    Your goal is to remove clicks and steps.

I think the very best workflow results will come from within yourself. Others can help show you how to create your very own tools of your design.

Thinking back, I recall I'm always immensely grateful for someone showing me a better way of doing something.

Scripts, Macros, Actions, Hotkeys, Shortcut menus, Conventions, Batches, anything that automates your process without removing quality is key.

Hopefully that was more motivational than obvious.

-kp
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior - I think what you are saying is take what I know and improve upon that... and a good work flow will follow.

killnpc - Basically workflow is something I need to find. Everything I have learned upto this point has been anything but shortcuts and this is no time to start looking for one.

Thanks guys for taking the time to answer this question of mine and I am sure we will meet again on polycount and good luck with your next projects.
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    Reading your response, I can't help but feel as if I didn't help answer your question at all.

It would seem you want to cut off the conversation at this point but, I'm left wondering what exactly you were looking for? I am hoping you might better explain your question so that I might learn something?

At first, you seemed to be asking about how to "create" a work flow. Which would imply you don't actually have a process of creation.

You then explain that you possess the understanding of each step, from conception to implementation.

I then assumed you were looking to "better" your current workflow but, you reply with saying that workflow is "something you need to find"?

So to be more direct, what the hell are you talking about? ;)
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
    Polygon, if I understand your question you are posing then here is an example of my work flow for personal stuff and for my professional stuff.

Have concept/idea, model out in Max. do I need to create a proper blockin first for UDK, usually yes, get my sizes that it needs to be etc. Then model it quickly and place into UDK.

Am I going to use Zbrush or will it be strictly hard surface or both? Or will I just use crazy bump depending on time constraints/what is the prop or object.

is my stuff going to be modular and what do I need and how am I going to get the most bang for my buck.

If I am bringing it into Zbrush then make sure it is quaded properly. Import and sculpt away or use Zspheres and finish sculpt. Sometimes decimate down depending on the object. Or will I need to retopologize?

Export models and bring them into Headus and unwrap them. Retopologize first and then unwrap your new model.

I then sometimes bring them back into Max and adjust UVS if I didn't do them in headus.

I will then export them again into Xnormal and do all my bakes

Next I will then take my UVS and maps into Photoshop and start creating a base texture and check it inside of UDK and have placeholders of appropriate sizes and material setup etc.

I then Finish the texture always checking the materials in Max. I will sometimes use decimation master and then export model back into UDK replacing the old mesh that was placed around from block-in

I make sure all is good and working and if my boss and or myself are happy then I move on to the next task.

That is my workflow right now. Some may think its good, bad, not for them etc but it is what works for me. Of course things can always improve and I am always looking for things and ways to improve too. So I hope that kinda helps you out.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Polygon, if I understand your question you are posing then here is an example of my work flow for personal stuff and for my professional stuff.

Have concept/idea, model out in Max. do I need to create a proper blockin first for UDK, usually yes, get my sizes that it needs to be etc. Then model it quickly and place into UDK.

Am I going to use Zbrush or will it be strictly hard surface or both? Or will I just use crazy bump depending on time constraints/what is the prop or object.

is my stuff going to be modular and what do I need and how am I going to get the most bang for my buck.

If I am bringing it into Zbrush then make sure it is quaded properly. Import and sculpt away or use Zspheres and finish sculpt. Sometimes decimate down depending on the object. Or will I need to retopologize?

Export models and bring them into Headus and unwrap them. Retopologize first and then unwrap your new model.

I then sometimes bring them back into Max and adjust UVS if I didn't do them in headus.

I will then export them again into Xnormal and do all my bakes

Next I will then take my UVS and maps into Photoshop and start creating a base texture and check it inside of UDK and have placeholders of appropriate sizes and material setup etc.

I then Finish the texture always checking the materials in Max. I will sometimes use decimation master and then export model back into UDK replacing the old mesh that was placed around from block-in

I make sure all is good and working and if my boss and or myself are happy then I move on to the next task.

That is my workflow right now. Some may think its good, bad, not for them etc but it is what works for me. Of course things can always improve and I am always looking for things and ways to improve too. So I hope that kinda helps you out.

I'd call this a good work-flow, but to add, I would like to stress a few points about some things I do myself...

1) Make it FUN for yourself, and keep motivation up for the project. How, I'll get into that further down. You most likely are creating game assets because you love it, right? If you don't, you probably shouldn't be in the business of doing these things lol!

2) Start small, block out everything, even with the most crudest of shapes. If you can realize your composition early on (I'm talking environments here), then you can be more quick to realize what is neccesary for your scene / props, and how much you really need to create.

3) Are you working with a team or is this just you making everything? If it's the latter, you need to be realistic and set smaller goals for yourself to get something completed....usualy, that means making things modular. Modular is what it's all about nowadays, man... If you are working with a team, then that's a different story.

4) This kind of goes with 2, but make sure you don't waste your time....meaning, don't make stuff that won't be seen by the player very well super detailed, and just generally know what and what not to make very detailed....

As far as technical stuff....well, that could take a while to explain...and it's different for everyone. There isn't a single best workflow.....for anything, really.

To put it most simply, I block out a shape in Maya, take it to Zbrush, sculpt the hell out of it, export a decimated version of that, bake my normals with the HP of the thing i sculpted in Zbrush, and that's the start of it, along with baking AO and etc...

That's all I have to add, ATM!
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you everyone, I am have a pretty good idea to how I am going to do things.