Home General Discussion

Video editing career.

I'm curious at to what this career entails. Perhaps I have the wrong name for it?

Does anyone know the term for someone who goes into film via editing software like Sony Vegas Pro and adds effects, moves scenes by the directors wish and stuff like that?

I'm studying media and TV in College and I'm wondering what sort of career would cover something like editing the shots of say, for example, just because I love it, Lord of The Rings?

I'm really, really interested in Machinima aswell, basically film making in general, is there a term for the career that say, isn't all based on stuff like editing scenes from Coronation Street or something? (As that is what is probably most local or something like that for me)

Is there a career for Machinima? I know that you have Blizzard's Video Production Team who work on all the trailers basically in the same way a movie is made, via storyboards, ideas, scripting, production with WoW model viewer in this case and finishing. About editing shots from camera from a fantasy movie, what would that job title be?

Yeah, I know it's really specific but that is just a better example.

I'm working in Sony Vegas Pro 10 and I'm making short movies and stuff, tried Machinima.

I know you can get small companies like Machinima.com who are actually based upon making cool content around games for their site and Youtube channel, but of course, stuff as nice is that is based in the states...

Thanks.

Replies

• StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    sounds like compositing might be your thing... its not the same as editing though. It's more like editing together multiple renderlayers and background plates, adding effects, defining the look of the film together with the director and stuff like that.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    I worked in video production for a while, and there are many jobs that you could move in to. It all depends on whether you want to work in film, or broadcast.

If you want to work in film, living in London is a must. You'll want to start trying to get your foot in the door by landing a runner position, which basically means allowing your 'employer' to abuse you by fetching tea, delivering / collecting tapes, cameras and whatever else from various places around Soho, and generally teaching you very little and paying you even less. Eventually, you might land a gig doing simple roto work like removing wires, or some basic compositing if you're very lucky. Then, it's the same ol' routine as other industries, work your way up.

Alternatively, working in broadcast might not seem as glamorous, but you'll likely graduate to a 'real' job from a runner gig sooner. If editing is your thing, you could end up as either an offline (assembling rough cuts of the raw footage into sequences for the online editor) or online editor (actually cutting the polished, final edits that will be seen by the audience) for a TV station, but there's loads of other less obvious roles that are easier to get into, like vision mixing / VT operating. This can lead to various other roles in a studio environment, like VT Supe or Floor Manager, which is a high-pressure role, but pays very well.

Editing is a highly-specialized career path, and it takes a surprising amount of focus and study to successfully land a job as an editor. Vegas is a good suite to learn, but even today, professional Avid desks are still very common (moreso in larger broadcast environments), so bone up on them if you have access to one.

If you're looking for work, mandy.com is a good bet for landing a runner gig, and shootingpeople is a great way to network in the indie scene and offers access to some good training courses. Also check out Skillset for some decent resources / advice. You should also probably check out Broadcast, the industry rag, and its jobs board, Broadcast Freelancer for more jobs / info.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I want to do is go into some raw footage and put music over it, change the scenes to give it a story, change the lighting in the scene via video effects, green screen, dialogue, storyboard... basically an indie film maker/machinimist.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Okay, well, making a (paid) career out of machinima is going to be tough. Really tough. Unless you've got a good eye for shot composition and film-making in general, as well as excellent writing ability (or find a good team), making memorable machinima is tough. As I'm sure you're already aware, there's tons of machinima out there, and only the genuinely great stuff gets any attention (i.e. Red vs. Blue).

As for working on indie films, that's easier for sure, although there's a distinct difference between genuine independent film and amateur student crap. If you can genuinely edit and composite, you're more likely to find work, but make sure you understand the art of editing (always cut on the action, etc.) as well as which buttons to press. Editing, despite having a strong technical side, is more of an art, whereas compositing is more of a technical discipline.

I'd strongly recommend joining shootingpeople.org, and trawling mandy.com for positions that need editors / compositors, but be aware of the different nature of the two disciplines, and make sure you understand the principles behind each, especially editing. The golden rule of good editing is if the audience doesn't notice it, then you've done your job.

Also, be prepared to work cheap - very cheap - while you build your experience and cut your reel together. I'd recommend trying to find work as a runner / junior offline editor in broadcast while you do some indie work, to give you some professional experience and establish some credibility. I'd also suggest separating your editing and comp work into two separate reels, if you're serious about finding meaningful work (read: work that will actually be finished and seen).

A lot of student films or wanna-be indies ask for both roles in a single individual, as they either can't afford two people (bad) or genuinely don't understand that they're two completely separate roles (worse).
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you need to order you ideas a bit, be a one man show is not easy, and if achievable, you ll need to excel in more than one area to pull a whole project at the same quality level (sound, post, effects, and so on) if not you ll probably end up with something called frustration by achieving something less quality than expected.
    Now, I am not saying this is not possible, I personally know people doing this, but they arrived to that point after several years working in different post areas.

I will suggest you start by deciding, is it sound or video first that you want. If you go for compositing, there are also several paths you can do, matte painting extractions, rotoscopy, color correction, matchmoving...etc, each one takes time to master. Then you can eventually move to a whole project, thats my 2 cent, hope it helps.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say I have an excellent eye for cinematic shots, tension and story telling. I'm a fairly good writer. Being an autodidact I have a strong ability to learn and adapt.

I've made some short movies in Sony Vegas Pro 10 but that isn't all I've done. If you think about the movies we all watch and how enveloped into cinematic music you are and such, it really develops your skills and creativity.

I'd say the only strong asset I have on me is my technical skills, learning capability and imagination.

Most of you should know me as having a 3D Artist/Animator background from a young age too.

I can also do some voice acting, as in, quite professional sounding.

I shall look over what you've all said. Thanks.

Edit: I was making stop motion movies when I was nine.

Think... Tales of the Past III WoW 90 minute long machinima.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol.
    How about you actually do something before you tell us how your an autodidact.
    So far most of your ambitions ended pretty quick and are very similar to your lets play dragon
    age on youtube... it ends after 3? parts where the whole game would be 30+
    Maybe you should get into some job where you convince people that you are something
    your not, you seem pretty good at that.

No offense it just seems like a running gag, looking forward to being prooved wrong.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting input, Stu. I'm afraid I can't really comment on the Dragon Age thing as it's pretty trivial.

Are people not allowed to change their ambitions? Be grateful I'm not going from animation to some unrelated job. That'd make your life very confusing as you seem to stalk me =]
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I sent this to Machinima.

Greetings, Machinima.com. I don't want to waste your time so I shall make this a short one.

I'm seventeen years old and in College, studying Media.
    My background includes stop motion, 3D Artistry for Mod teams and animation, all at a very young age.

I have recently gone back to my routes of "film making" by trying out Machinima in Sony Vegas Pro 10.

In the states there are a whole bunch of studios and places that will serve students the more "underground" forms of art, such as Machinima.

I live in the UK.
    I've always been extremely interested in Film making and I'm wondering where to go next. Do you think Machinima will become an actual "proper" form of film making?

I'd like to specialize in exactly what a Machinimator would do. Rearange shots, add effects, dialogue, voice acting, scripting, story boarding and everything else it would entail.

What should I do?
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    You most definitely should not have ended that with "what should I do?"

Immediately I think of the Lebron commercial/South Park Parody...

edit* Link
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Oh cool Tyler, another dramatic career change! Please do keep us informed on a daily basis about this, don't think I'd be able to handle the excitement otherwise...
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    "all at a very young age"

heh
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    You should spend less time asking people what to do with your life, and more time actually doing things. If you really love something, you'll find a way to make it work for you.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Lets see some proof man, if you keep bringing up your age lets see something for it. I want to see what you can produce with 8 years of stop-motion animation work behind you, you should be pro level, right?
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm afraid I have to agree with Stu and Xoliul, they were also my exact thoughts when I saw the author of this thread was you.

Take it from me, someone who has whined and winged about a lack of direction in many an emo post on here, all this useless 'what should I do' crap will get you nowhere. Here's some blunt advice that I've received on many occasions and have recently started putting into practice (protip: it works).

Just shut up and fucking do something already. Stop farting around the Internet looking at pretty things and make something. Animate stuff, model stuff, edit videos, make a film, draw some pictures and post it for crit... Make amendments... Improve... Rinse....repeat.

tldr: A little less conversation, a little more action please.

And if you reply to my suggestion with anything remotely troll like, people will take you for more of an ass than they likely do already.

EDIT: What Slum / Justin said!
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    What everyne else said. Save up, and drop some bones on a digital tutors account. Pick ONE, that's ONE area you want to excel in and just devour video tutorials on the subject. Take what you learn and put it into practice - make something! and you will learn it twice over.

Don't email Machinima.com and ask them if their passion and their art will 'become an actual "proper" form of film making?' It's pretty close to an insult, (although tbf I'm sure they will understand what you mean.)

Good luck!
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lets see some proof man, if you keep bringing up your age lets see something for it. I want to see what you can produce with 8 years of stop-motion animation work behind you, you should be pro level, right?
    No. I said my background included working with stop motion at the age of nine. Not nine years of stop motion.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian wrote: »
    What everyne else said. Save up, and drop some bones on a digital tutors account. Pick ONE, that's ONE area you want to excel in and just devour video tutorials on the subject. Take what you learn and put it into practice - make something! and you will learn it twice over.

Don't email Machinima.com and ask them if their passion and their art will 'become an actual "proper" form of film making?' It's pretty close to an insult, (although tbf I'm sure they will understand what you mean.)

Good luck!

I am looking at tutorials...obviously.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Just shut up and fucking do something already.

Fucking hilarious, dude. Who says I haven't done anything?
    I'm constantly on video tutorials, constantly on programs... how can you POSSIBLY tell that I just sit and post on this forum day in and day out?

I've spent what are supposed to be the best years of my life indulging in creative stuff such as, as I said, stop motion, 3d art, animation, texturing!
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And one last thing. To all the people who don't quite get it yet. I'm done with talking about my age.

What I AM talking about is my background. I'm talking about what I've spent my entire life (which is the younger years ) doing this stuff.

So to all you people who think I'm saying "OOOH LOOK I DONE THIS WHEN I WAS NINE DOESN'T THAT MEAN I'M AMAZING?"

That is exactly the opposite of what I mean NOW.

It's purely and solely in the context of my background.

And by the Gods! How many people have different careers before they settle into the right one?!
    I'm getting flamed for moving my ambitions around and I'm not even an adult! Of course I'm not going to be sure.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    check out fxphd. Best 300$ if you're interested in vfx.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fxphd is great, also cmivfx
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't believe Im typing this despite the complete fucktard response you gave the posts, including mine, above.

Right;

I'm 26... And if such a thing as a king of indecision exists, then I am one of them.

I work as an Arch Viz artist, have done for 4 years. I've taught guitar and composed music for extra income for about 7 years, I'm currently studying a degree in Architecture and I'm trying to get into game industry as an artist.

Since leaving school, I've been a chef, a mechanic, and a music teacher.

Now if that's not experience with 'WTF will I do with my life, I dont know what is'.

My honest advice to you is what people have already said. Choose a subject, learn it, and give it a real chance. If you don't like it after really trying it, move on. You are still very young. It took me 8 years to find my interests and my biggest regret is not finding it sooner.

And most importantly, stop being an asshole on here, didn't you change your name once already to erase a bad rep?
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    maze wrote: »
    fxphd is great, also cmivfx

agree. What I love about them is you get some damn nice footage to work with and by the end of a term you usually have the basics down and can move down the ladder of classes. Plus the two weeks to preview classes is amazing.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Taylor can no longer reply, and there's some sage advice in here for those who want to do editing so I am going to close this thread. If you've a good reason for it to be reopened please send me a PM.
This discussion has been closed.