Home General Discussion

How does your 2D education help you as a 3D Artist

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
jocose polycounter lvl 11
It's been said, many times, a background in 2D can be a huge help for any 3D Artist.

I'm curious, for those of you with a 2D background be it in painting, illustration, graphic design, fine arts, or whatever else, how does this foundation help you on a day to day basis do what you do as a 3D artist?

What I've noted is that people that were originally 2D artist find it much easier to keep the end result of any 3D project in perspective. Ultimately a 3D model will be displayed on screen as a 2D projection and as such will follow all the same rules and principles of any drawing or illustration. This visual/design language should be considered from start to finish when working on any 3D piece.

If anyone has any examples or thoughts on this subject I would love to hear them. Just been on my mind lately.

Replies

• Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    It's just years of experience man.

Consider 2 people who are learning 3D for the first time. One has been doing 2D art for 5 years, the other hasn't. A year after they got started learning 3D, the 2D guy will be doing MUCH better stuff than the 3D guy. Reason is simple. He has 6 years of experience, and the 3D guy has 1.

I don't think there's any magic to 2D, or that an hour spent practicing 2D is more valuable than an hour spent practicing 3D.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I studied design and worked in a marketing design studio for 3 years before getting into games and it helped immensely. A person has to learn to use the right colours and composition and ultimately know what looks bad and what looks good. 3 years in design has been a huge help in sharpening those skills.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    It's just years of experience man.
    I don't think there's any magic to 2D, or that an hour spent practicing 2D is more valuable than an hour spent practicing 3D.

Thanks for the reply,

I think some might argue that 2D can, for some, get you there faster. However, this isn't a world of fixed paths, everyone learns thier own way.

I'm just fishing for perspective, well aware that 2D isn't "required" to be 3D.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I think taking different courses (anything from sculpture, anatomy, life drawing, painting, architecture, etc etc, anything slightly relevant) will give you a wider perspective of knowledge and background.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    2d is making shit look good from a white page. 3d has a set of predetermined rules that can be used as a crutch
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzz wrote: »
    2d is making shit look good from a white page. 3d has a set of predetermined rules that can be used as a crutch

I certainly see that point. One of the key issues here is design. A 3D artist with no 2D background can copy things very quickly and very well; not necessarily knowing why what they are copying is looks good, or visually appeals/ speaks to to others.

If you are a trained 2D artist though you may tend to look more at the big medium and small design elements, how they relative to one another and other aspects of a visual language that make something up.

You can then use this knowledge to prioritize, build, and expand an idea instead of just copying it.

That said, I have learned a great deal of that from trying to fill in the gaps in concepts I have copied in the past. So its not as if you have to have a 2D background to learn these things, but I found it much more painful and slower going that route that just learning it by sketching everyday.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18

Oh no you din't!

They both have rules. 3D you have to be worried about all views. Versus 2D just the one view you shade to give 3D appearance.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your missing the point. You dont HAVE to use any rules in 2d. If you fuck up it just looks bad, Not so in 3d.

Eg, Go watch the secret of kells and tell me that the limited use of perspective harmed it.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your missing the point. You dont HAVE to use any rules in 2d. If you fuck up it just looks bad, Not so in 3d.

Eg, Go watch the secret of kells and tell me that the limited use of perspective harmed it.

If you fuck it up in 3d it also looks bad. You do have rules in 2d. #1 being dont draw outside the confines of the space.

Also let me point out. Im talking 3d in general. Not CG 3d.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This argument is stupid. No matter what 3d you are doing, you are relying on computational power to make the work easier. (not in the sense of less time but in the sense of thinking, because you know your brain doesnt have to work as a 3d renderer, the 3d world ect when making 3d art. )

With 3d you can also break it down into distinct parts. Eg, design first, then posing then lighting. Not something you can do as easily in 2d without redrawing the thing many many times.

In the end 2d is still making something out of nothing.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Some things are easier to do in 2d, somethings are easier to do in 3D, its the nature of the beasts.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This argument is stupid. No matter what 3d you are doing, you are relying on computational power to make the work easier

What part of "Not CG 3d" Escaped you? Talking sculpture bub. Clay/Rock/Metal etc. and an idea.

Oh and guess whats part of 3d that you just admitted? 2D. "design first". So you need multiple skills. I have nothing against this thread. I just had to point out your flaw in thinking 2D can stand "above" 3d. Wrong.

They both rely/need understanding of perspective/anatomy/light/color. Etc.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah for 3D and 2D you have to understand materials and lighting, although it may be in different ways and aspects.
  • murph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    in my experience they both inform each other immensely. learning 2d will make you a better 3d artist, and vice versa.

I'm of the belief that 3d artists (especially in games) should always be learning and progressing with their 2d skills.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is really a personal theory more than anything but I think people with 2D backgrounds tend to have better quality of work simply because they focus on core artistic principles where as when you learn to work with 3D often times the majority of what you're taught is simply how to use the tools effectively and efficiently. You lose out on really fundamental concepts like color theory, gesture, and composition.

The biggest advantage to working in 3D is that you never have to solve perspective problems and lighting will always be as accurate as you want it to be. Both technical issues. The ideas that make good art good are still missing and thats where the real art happens.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    For me it works both ways, 2d helps my 3d and 3d helps my 2d work. Both help me understand form and other key features. I wouldnt trade my 2d background for the world though. I think its really important to understand design and composition, colour theorem and other artistic merits. I hated uni at the time but the knowledge I got from it was priceless.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should stop posting short statements when im meant to be working. they spawn too many long winded arguments.

Sure be a smart ass and poke holes and argue semantics, it doesnt change that learning 3d is learning how to work around a medium and get the best you can out of it, be it digital or clay stone or taco filling. 2d bypasses a lot of that in sacrifice for everything needing to be thought about.

So i guess what im trying to say, is simply, if you can make people stare in wonderment with what you can make from nothing but a white page, you will go a lot further when working in a constrained system.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    In a way being good at 2d means you have to do believable 3d... in 2d? I'm sure i can word that better but thats the jist of it.

It'd be interesting to hear the opinion of anyone whos learnt to exclussively model an accurate 3d figure then try and redo it to the same quality in 2d. I'm kind of the opposite in that I've only been learning to draw and i can ignorantly say that the only thing i feel that stops me from going to 3d is the software not the fundamentals.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    , it doesnt change that learning 3d is learning how to work around a medium and get the best you can out of it, be it digital or clay stone or taco filling. 2d bypasses a lot of that in sacrifice for everything needing to be thought about.

They both share both qualities you state. You have no argument.

2D: The medium. What type of flat surface. Are you painting? Drawing? What drawing material?

3D: Everything needing to be thought about. Starting with the 2D sketch or idea in head and then attempting to convert into something that has actual physical space.
    So i guess what im trying to say, is simply, if you can make people stare in wonderment with what you can make from nothing but a white page, you will go a lot further when working in a constrained system.

Thats fine but again your trying to separate them. They both are constrained systems. They both rely on rules. One compliments the other. Some are better at one or the other. Knowing and improving both is always good.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    In 3DCG perspective is done for you, i've not studied perspective anywhere near as much as i should have... I could probably wing it and draw a tank/sci fi interior but i definately know i have a weakness there. Thing is, if i was to have a simple box model with all of that done for me it becomes a matter of rendering form / lighting. (even the lighting can be setup in 3d, resolving a lot of cast shadows).

With a bit more experience i could say with more confidence that i'd be able to do something of the same quality and time would be the main factor in the 3d base vs entirely 2d perspective illustration, but as of right now it'd definately be a helpful crutch.

In short, i agree and get what muzz is trying to say, way i understand it is - regardless of 3d medium in 2d you have to create it ALL, volume, depth etc... whereas that aspect is done for you in some others.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackwhat wrote: »
    In short, i agree and get what muzz is trying to say, way i understand it is - regardless of 3d medium in 2d you have to create it ALL, volume, depth etc... whereas that aspect is done for you in some others.

There is a miscommunication speaking about CG 3d and 3d. Also. You have to create it all in 3d as well including using your 2d skills.

This is silly. All I'm saying is trying to pimp up 2D over 3D is a non starter as they are linked to one another and rely on the same understandings to do well.

If he wants to argue about CG 3d being easy. Thats fine. CG 2D is easier as well. Neither have those helpers in real materials.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Bad analogy time - I could line up loads of different shaped boxes and take a photo of it from a wormseye view and i essentially have a city, the perspective is there as well as various other things. I could do that in a simple 3d package too - but if i were to draw, on paper or photoshop, id have to understand perspective in order to simulate what i've created in a 3d space.

I do agree that they are linked in a lot of ways, i just feel that in order to do things in 2d you require the fundamental knowledge, such as anatomy, colour theory and all that good jazz.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i just feel that in order to do things in 2d you require the fundamental knowledge, such as anatomy, colour theory and all that good jazz.

Again good 3d needs the same knowledge. Your making a separation that doesn't truly exist.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I agree that the same knowledge can be applied to 3d. I guess the keyword in what youre saying is "good", and you could then go onto argue how a bad 2d artist can draw and produce passable results but with a better understanding produce "good" results.

Perhaps im trying to make a seperation in 3d game art if anywhere, in that you could learn a 3d program or whatever and start making maps but then apply colour theory and composition to their layouts in order to make them even better with goals and whatnot being more obvious?

basically, fundamentals are applicable to both D:

- And totally my opinion, but i still want to say that I could paint over a car from a 3d box model but I dont think the result would be as good or accurate if i were to do it freehand, i think its because its already represented in space for me... right?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    It seems like some of you guys are trying to make this weird separation between two things that are actually very closely tied to one another.

2D art such as drawing, painting or doing stuff in Photoshop/Painter/Whateverthehell all boils down to the same set of principles. Line, perspective, shading, form, composition, blah blah blah. You know this.

In the same way, 3D art — be it sculpture, CG, stop motion puppets or anything else — incorporates the exact same principles.

Let's look at some examples, shall we?

Click to embiggen.
    lolarts001_thumb.jpg

lolarts002_thumb.jpg

lolarts003_thumb.jpg

I know these are hugely long images with a shit-ton of text, but I'm trying to illustrate a point. Basically, you can't separate 2D and 3D art, no matter what the medium. The same principles apply across the board and a guy who has experience and skill in one area is going to naturally have skill and aptitude in another area.

If you can't understand how composition works in two dimensions, you're not going to understand how it works in three. If you don't understand light, form, perspective or color, then you're going to make crap no matter what.

This is a game art forum, yes, but it's still an art forum. You can't separate one form of art from others because they all tie into each other.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great post swizzle, exactly the type of thing I was hoping someone might illustrate like this.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    great post indeed!
    tnx for the images swizzle
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kinda off topic, but anyone have any good resources they can recommend about color?

Handling color is something I'd like to improve on. So ideally, as it relates to what we do.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    It lives in how we take off the jacket, how we put on the jacket. It lives in how we treat people. Everything is kung fu.

^ It's sort of like that, except with arts.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    TF2 is a great example of how it is one whole thing.

I'm not trying to seperate them as such, its just that i KNOW i have a weakness/gap when it comes to perspective and if i have painted over 3d bases to create things i would have found far harder if i didnt have them.

If that isnt skipping that aspect then what is? I'm no scott robertson thats for sure, but i have practiced rendering and whatnot so i can apply that aspect to the base i have...
  • murph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swizzle hit the nail on the head, imo. it's all the same stuff. that is all. ;)
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No-one was arguing that you dont use the same rules. The subject was about "how does your 2d education help your 3d".

I was just trying to get across that its easier to learn that stuff working in 2d as you are forced to do everything. Obviously i failed in communicating that.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    I personally find 3d a better medium for learning anatomy, Not that 2d isn't but in a 3d environment you need to think about the connections between muscles because you actually need to make them. In 2D it isn't always so clear when you try to copy/study drawings of muscles from books like Loomis and Hogarth for example. You draw the things you see in front of you , try to analyse how it connects and where it's located in 3d space but in 3d all of that stuff is actually happening so you see it happen and grasp it right away.

2D is great because it makes you think about every choice you make and won't just be flipping switches until something cool happens (not that any good 3d art is made that way but lucky accidents can occur :P)
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    2D is great because it makes you think about every choice you make and won't just be flipping switches until something cool happens (not that any good 3d art is made that way but lucky accidents can occur :P)

Trust me mate. A lot of 2D art is random or accidental. There's a reason a 2D artist would have a shit ton of difficulty replicating a painting in its entirety, even if it's a painting he did himself. In fact I don't remember thinking very much at all doing the one my avatar came from. ...probably why it turned out better than some of the shit I put a lot of thought into.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kinda off topic, but anyone have any good resources they can recommend about color?

Handling color is something I'd like to improve on. So ideally, as it relates to what we do.
    I REALLY loved Gnomon's Practical Light and Color DVD by Jeremy Vickery of Pixar. I'd honestly say it's their best instructional DVD, maybe the most useful DVD I've ever seen period.

It is EXTREMELY technical though.

They also have another one simply called Color Theory but I haven't checked it out.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    No-one was arguing that you dont use the same rules. The subject was about "how does your 2d education help your 3d".

I was just trying to get across that its easier to learn that stuff working in 2d as you are forced to do everything. Obviously i failed in communicating that.

I was responding to people who seemed to be saying that 2D and 3D were different, but this is no big deal. You did seem to be sending kind of mixed messages, though, so I didn't want to try zeroing in on your posts or anybody else's specifically.

Anyway.

I agree with Ravenslayer about learning anatomy and how it works, though it can still be very helpful to do drawings to understand anatomy. The key thing is to do it not just from references, but from life. Life drawing classes with teachers that will show you how bones, muscles and flesh work are absolutely the best thing a 3D artist can do.

As for how 2D art education actually helps me as a 3D artist, I'd say that 2D art helps me see in three dimensions by forcing me to represent those three dimensions with one of them missing.

God knows I still have a long way to go before I'll be a really good 3D artist, but by practicing in two dimensions, I can more readily understand the extra one.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    "As for how 2D art education actually helps me as a 3D artist, I'd say that 2D art helps me see in three dimensions by forcing me to represent those three dimensions with one of them missing."

^
    Thats kind of what me and muzz were trying to get across. And also the fact it FORCES you to represent them with one of them missing is why its such a challenge... it was never an issue that 3d doesnt have these values, but when one has to represent 3d in a 2d space you are taxed with having to think around the form and do it yourself as such.

It does sound like im saying 2d is easier, and im sure i could go on conceptart and find you people who draw squares that arent in correct perspective who could create a square in max with correct perspective? Not quite sure what my point is D:

As for colour theory;

http://www.huevaluechroma.com/

Also, the dvd by the pixar dude for gnomon is good because its practical and relatively simple, the other one delves deeper into paintings talking about the how and why painters used specific colours in eras. Its definately interesting and insightful but not as practical.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    What a great post! Swizzle great stuff you put up. Thanks.

As far as color, a buddy hooked me up with this book years ago and it helped.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Itten-Elements-Treatise-System-Johannes/dp/0471289299/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291077895&sr=8-1[/ame]

Also I took a class here http://www.calartinst.com for a few years studying Plein Air painting with Karl Dempwolf. It was a mix of housewives and awesome Animators with years of exp and the computer art guy (me). That was probably the best thing that helped me get a handle on color with 2d and translating it to 3d.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually have that Gnomon DVD, but I didn't find it too helpful. I should probably watch it again though, cause the last time I did was when it came out years ago.

At any case, my main problem seems to be coming up with a color palette. It takes me ages, and I usually just start painting and then adjust the colors wildly as I go. Eventually I settle on something. Also picking a color scheme, etc, stuff like that.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My God Swizzle. That is exactly what I was trying to show. Except it made sense.

Get this on the wiki!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Without wanting to constantly say the same shit, the way i understood your argument Oxy was that;

If you can model something, 3DCG or traditional you can therefore draw it in 2D just as well because you need the same understanding to do both?

Because thats what I and, i think, muzz were trying to argue - not that the same values can be applied to 2D and 3D art because thats a no brainer.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Without wanting to constantly say the same shit, the way i understood your argument Oxy was that;

If you can model something, 3DCG or traditional you can therefore draw it in 2D just as well because you need the same understanding to do both?

Because thats what I and, i think, muzz were trying to argue - not that the same values can be applied to 2D and 3D art because thats a no brainer.

I guess my ability to communicate is poor. No that is not what I was saying. All I was saying was they both relied on the same core so saying one was better than the other was a non starter. I felt it was tooting horns saying that 2D were the "real" men/better.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin