Home General Discussion

Game industry and living in Canada

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
Hopefully I'm not being too vague but I have very little experience with Canada but have been curious about moving there. I'm wondering what the quality of life is like there, cost of living, that sort of thing. Currently I'm between jobs and was thinking of applying to the neighbor up north. Insight?

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    i live in toronto, do freelance for various small studios, work is fairly regular.
    i pay splits at around $1200/mo for rent with a roommate in the west end rite by ubisoft's new studio. tack on another 100$ or so every couple months for utilities.

Cant really comment on the quality of life deal since all i've ever known is ontario. Good health care, clean streets, minimal crackheads, decent pub. transit.

Toronto has a lot of smaller studios, but if you're looking for a consistent full time position then montreal might be a better choice. Rumor has it ubisoft is gonna be doing a major wave of hires around march of next year though

feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Im up here in vancouver, rent is definitely pricey, im paying 930 a month for a bachelor apartment (studio apt). going out for food can be priceyer than when I was in Montreal. its a nice city to live in though, lots to do and besides lots of rain the winters are not too harsh at all, and summers are gorgeous.

I love both vancouver and montreal, montreal for the wicked nightlife, smokin' hot women party atmoshere etc, and vancouver for the nice scenery and the fact there is so much to do like skiing/snowboarding, hiking, hitting the beach etc.

the vancouver job market is almost all contract for artists right now, while most places out east are still hiring fulltime employees which is nice.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any one know what the rents are like in Montreal (and the overall cost of living for an avg month)?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably start by hitting some apartment hunter sites, look them up in Google street view to cruise the neighborhood as long as it isn't this place, you should be good?
    epic-fail-street-view-fail.jpg
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey e-freak, Montreal is a really cool place, lots of things to do, you can get a room with some roommates for around 350-450 each, in a cool spot (I pay 250 and still have a nice loft!). A 2 bedroom/kitchen/living room/bathroom, is roughly around 650 - 950 depending on the area. the most expensive to live is Plateau Mont Royal, but is also a really nice place too. I ll say take a look around Rosemont or Villeray neighbourhoods.... if you dont mind living outside of the island... there is Laval, where you can maybe find some cheaper spots still cool if you look well, but expect a 30-40 min ride to Montreal by metro.... kijiji is your friend man. Good luck.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    I've heard good things about montreals :) espicially girls :D
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You heard right Jungsik. Girls are awesome here man. Just learn some french, and you ll be ready to go...
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    I live in London Ontario (about 2 hr from toronto).
    There are a few game studios here.

Quality of living is great, for the most part housing is cheap (to rent or buy). It is a small city (350,000 population) that tries to be a big city.
    You get the quiet, safe, and overall atmosphere of a small city. But the big city stuff is there when you need it.
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    Some of us aren't as girl-crazy but that's good to know I guess ;P
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    but I have very little experience with Canada

-40 degrees celsius/fahrenheit will render your bare limbs/body parts numb in seconds

:poly127:

You have been warned :)
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I love it here in Vancouver. There's only a couple of other places I can imagine I would want to live.

The problem is the price. The cost of living is pretty ridiculous. Housing in particular. I've been looking for housing lately and it's expensive. I don't have a very high paying job, and for me and a roommate we're having to look a bit out of our price range to even get available places to show up on the map. We're not looking downtown either. Just centrally located in Greater Vancouver.

Rainy weather. I guess it's probably fairly similar to what you have now in Redmond though. So if you were to come here it would be mostly the same. Lots of rain.

I'm not a very outdoorsy type, so I don't get anything out of the hiking/skiiing stuff but the scenery is still awesome. Looking over rivers and mountains on the way to work everyday is definitely a plus.

Seems like good people in general(if you can keep out of Surrey) and the transit system is bad but not the worst.:)

Lots of game studios, lots of VFX studios and lately a lot more open positions. As PixelMasher mentioned, mostly contracts.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    maze wrote: »
    You heard right Jungsik. Girls are awesome here man. Just learn some french, and you ll be ready to go...

learning already :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD