Home General Discussion

Moving to Austin - Roommates?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
Howdy!

I just got hired at Vigil Games in Austin Texas on the character team and I need to move down there sometime before December 4th or so (starting the 6th).
Time is very tight, so some urgency is required...

Having been unemployed for ages before this, money is very tight (non-existent), so I'm looking for something as inexpensive as humanly possible. They are, unfortunately, also unable to provide me with relocation assistance. So! I am doing this on a shoe-string budget, and having to borrow the shoe-string.

I'd love it if I found somebody who's already got a place in town with an empty room they are looking to fill, as I do not have money for expensive deposits, application fee's and such. I have budgeted 450-600$/month for rent + utilities.

I am just bringing myself, my computer, a few clothes, and my cat.:poly122:
I am 31years old, straight white male. She's a short haired black cat, 7 yrs old.
I also cannot currently afford a vehicle, so I would love something near the office (North West part of town) and or public transportation.

Reply here or send me a PM to get in touch with me if you're interested or know of somebody who may be!

Thanks!

Replies

• moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    I have a friend who actually just got hired at vigil himself, I'll ask him see what his situation is, pm you the results.

congrats btw!

[edit]

no results :[
  • Rayph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    I am looking to move to Austin shortly myself and it can definitely be tough. One thing I might recommend as sleezy as it may sound is hitting up craigslist to see what you can find. You can occasionally find some good deals on there.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Scoob! Let me know when you're in town, I live in Austin. And I would certainly offer but my apartment is of the strictly single bedroom variety, and my life is not (yet) a sitcom :)
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    congrats Scoob! Austin is an awesome city! Looking forward to meeting you finally :)
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Hey welcome to Vigil! I don't need a roomate, but just wanted to give you a heads up on the housing situation. Housing is pretty cheap, you can get very nice 1 bedroom apartments in the 500-700 range. Your options are going to be pretty limited if you don't have transportation, there are only a couple places within walking distance of the office, Texas in general is very spread out and the office isn't in the city. You could probably get a bike to give yourself some more options.

One thing that caught me off guard is that the housing is very cheap, but the utilities suck balls. I live in a 1 bedroom in the $700 range, and I have to pay 3 separate utility bills to 3 different companies that are each the $50-80 range, not including broadband. Also watch out for any "valet trash services" that they will hype up, it all sounds good until you realize you get charged $25 a month for a service that you can't even use if you don't get home by 8 PM and they won't let you cancel. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about it if you live within the County, but make sure to factor that into your budget.

If you end up not finding a roommate and need to live by yourself, I can send you the apartment locater agent I used who was very pleasant and did all the legwork so I didn't have to. There's no charge, she is paid by the apartment complex.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    scoob, any luck i may be heading that way in the next month or so. and needing a temp roomie just for a bit tho, have to get my own place when my girl shows up.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Rhinokey your moving to Austin too! awesome! There's a Austin Dev Beer night next month, (Thursday, February 3 · 7:00pm - 10:00pm) if you guys are interested in drinking with local devs :) Hit me up on FB so I can invite ya!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Rhinokey: I take it you found yourself a job here in town? Congratulations!

I'm moving into a 2bedroom right across from the studio on the 31st, so I'm all taken care of now. That said, we're going to have an entirely empty living room, so if you can find yourself a bed/couch/whatever I'm certain I can convince my new roommate to let you crash for a bit if need be.

Lee: I dont drink, but am always up for meeting new devs & polycounters! If I can find a ride to and from...count me in!