Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sculpt WIP - Lion vs Bear

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
Hey,

i've been working on this sculpt for a while and I think its time to get some feedback on it. Originally it was going to be for the CGHub Warriors comp but as Mudbox absolutely refused to work properly I ended up working on it in ZBrush for a personal project.

Its been quite interesting so far, sculpting anatomy in a posed position rather then sculpting in a tpose has forced me to interpret the underlying forms in a different way and pay more attention to the way everything interacts with each other.

However, I feel i've hit that wall, where I can see that flaws exist but don't quite know how to fix them.

i5pys0.jpg

292le6r.jpg

44bwo.jpg

ayuly.jpg

Replies

• Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    This remains me of The Island of Doctor Moreau, I would add more fur around the bodies, but thats just personal taste ^^

Nice stuff

PS: the bear is too fat :P
  • ziikutv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ziikutv polycounter lvl 9
    This is really nice. One small advice I can give you is that you need to look at some bear references. frank_full.jpg

The face of your bear looks rather like a rodent. You may want to correct that. I love the work on the Lion because it reminds me of a god, Narasimha, an avatar of Lord Vishnu
    narasimha-avatar.jpg
    Some reference, if you want to really go home with the details.

Right now, your work seems like its on a good road. Keep it up (Y)
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    The anatomy and sculpting is real nice, look forward to seeing where this goes.

But uh, why did you decide to make the animal heads so small? I'm sure there's a reason but I don't really think it adds anything.

Also, I think the lion character's still looking a bit static - his muscles should be stretching more in places, and show more of the effects of gravity. It seems like the pecs especially should be stretching and twisting differently to reflect the position of the arms.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Regarding the head size, I don't think there was any conscious decision to make them the size they are other than they looked like they were the most suitable size at the time.

As to the stretching of the skin and muscles, I agree a lot more still needs to be done to really sell the scene.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    it screams more pig at the moment than bear if anything.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah. I think increasing the size of the head would help make it more bear like too - closer to a bear's proportions. Right now the heads seem too small to fit either the animal's or a human's proportions.

Another thing, I think it would be a lot more dynamic if there were more plane breaking - with both characters the heads seem fairly rigidly placed atop the torso (especially in the case of the lion-man). It's a bit hard to tell form these angles really, but I think it would be a help to push more twisting and expression in the neck/head and the pose in general.
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10

I saw it and thought of the Man Bear Pig from South Park. The heads on both of them are way too small. Well, the lion's head seems about the right size, but needs a better face to mane ratio.
  • Kenny The Eagle

Oh man, Al Gore was right. Manbearpig!

Jokes aside, I agree; it doesn't quite look like a bear to me. I think the ears should be a bit larger and a bit more round. The head should be a bit more circular, too. The muzzle also looks like it should protrude out more with the lower jaw being longer. A fur-like texture might help, too.

dave_bear.jpg

species-spotlight-grizzly-bear-brown-mouth-open-black-nose-attacking-growling-biting-photo.jpg

You can see how wide and round the head is in this pic.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Shiniku wrote: »
    Another thing, I think it would be a lot more dynamic if there were more plane breaking

This is exactly what it needs. The head issue is a direct result of it sitting on an impossibly wide torso. Either it should be bigger to accomodate it, or the torso should be smaller - with more form. See below:

rawr.gif

I didn't rescale the head accordingly, but it should "sprout" directly from the top of the torso mass. The masses r exaggerated, of course, but I hope this gives u a direction.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback.

Ive been working on this a little more, changing the bear's head as well as small tweaks elsewhere. Regarding the fur texture, I will try to add this after I have sorted out the proportions only they will be dominant around the face and shoulders rather then encompassing most of the body as I want to emphasize the human physique underneath and I feel that the fur will mask that.

I feel there is some way to go...

jqoun9.jpg

9lixpt.jpg

6dzpzs.jpg

ip2wsn.jpg