Home Technical Talk

How can i render only visible in 3d studio max

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
kunglao polycounter lvl 18
I am using 3d studio max 2008.
I have a female character that i am optimising.
She is 1 continous mesh and made up of several material ids ( multi sub-object).
I hide parts work on remving edges and do a quick render and the parts i have hidden are visible in the render.
Would appreciate some advice

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    Open the 'Render Setup' dialogue. You can find it on the menu under Rendering>Render Setup. There is also a button on the main toolbar somewhere near the Render button.

in the Common tab, under Common Parameters, there is an Options section. There should be a checkbox called "Render Hidden Geometry" or something similar. Make sure this is unchecked. Hopefully that solves the problem :)
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    If you are rendering in Mentalray..it has a tendency to render elements/polygons that are hidden using the "hide selected" button in the editpoly modifier.... one possible solution would be to add a mat in your multi-subobject material that is completely transparent..and whenever you want to hide those certain objects..set their mat id to that of the transparent material
  • kunglao
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kunglao polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks fgor the replies.
    Although changing the settings in the render output does hide in renders objects that are in selected i am still looking for a way to quick render with faces that are hidden when working in editable poly mode that are part of the mesh.
    For example- i am working on her hand it has several rings on the fingers.I hide the faces that make up the rings but they are still showing when i quick render.
    I could detach them but it would mean re-attaching again and i really need them to be part of the mesh.Its not only the hands but other areas too.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Is it a game character? Why not just use a DirectX shader? No need to render anymore then.