Home General Discussion

HP7

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Firebert polycounter lvl 15
Kicks. Ass.

If you are a fan of the books, this is the one movie that will not let you down.

If you've just watched the movies, you will have no clue what is going on. SO GO READ THEM!

Saw it.
Loved it.
Can't wait to see it again, and very excited for part two.

Replies

• d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    I'm going today and I'm pretty excited.) And yeah my gf just keeps yelling that we'll finally go to see another harry potter, so it's nice to hear that it turned out right.
    too bad there'll be a long wait for 2 part.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Just about to take my family, in about half an hour.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Watching it tonight, can't wait! I'm such a fan of the last book in the Harry Potter series.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Hated Harry Potter. Was mindless childrens shite. Whats the point.

Then I watched the first... And became hooked :D Can't wait for the new one, should be a right blast :D
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    Thought it was great.

Dobby and Kreacher's CG was some the best I think I've seen.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Really good! Super violent though. Some of the magic in that movie was basically gunfire. A fair amount of blood and death too. I saw a good few kids who were visibly disturbed by the intensity of things.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Man, I should read them again. They were good reading during those cold cold winter nights. The movies have been hit and miss with me, everything after nr 2 being miss :X
    But I'll give this a try :0
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    I thought it was a great movie! It could have lasted another hour or two to be honest! It ended very abrubtly, leaving you longing for more!

Also, the actions scenes were pretty awesome! Except everyone of them ending with them teleporting away from danger. :)

Can't wait for the second part.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    How does the flow of the narrative fair. I've found as they've gone on the Harry Potter movies have tried to cram more and more stuff in which has resulted in them being a bit stilted and in some cases more like a bunch of disparate vignettes than a really coherent story.

I do like the movies and intend to go see this one when I have a moment, but the quality did pretty much peak with the third one.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Well, I've gone and seen it yesterday.

So basically it felt like a half of a really great great movie based on a great great book. It's still a half, but still great. I wish they would release it as a single 5 hour movie with two parts. Like Ridley Scott did with the directors cut of The Kingdom of Heaven. Although his movie was way shorter.

Last part felt a bit disappointing because it raised a lot of questions and gave little answers(for those unfamiliar with the book). This one felt better in terms of narrative, even though I kinda miss the 1 school year - 1 big mistery/event - 1 movie thing.
    This movie kinda lacks the huge emotional buildup and release during a climatic scene. It's more of a little build up - a little action scene, rinse, repeat. So I'm really looking forward for the conclusion. And for the sake of immersion and integrity I'd rather consider the both parts a single movie.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum wrote: »
    Really good! Super violent though. Some of the magic in that movie was basically gunfire. A fair amount of blood and death too. I saw a good few kids who were visibly disturbed by the intensity of things.

This movie, from my perspective, was made purely for the fans of the books. Hands down.

The violence: The book is more violent than the movie and is surrounded by the impending doom and theme of death.

The gunfire magic: Again, book related. In the previous chapter of the series (Half Blood Prince), they continually talk about casting spells without speaking them. This is very key in the whole world of "defending yourself against the dark arts", because if your opponent doesn't know what spell you are casting, it makes it all the more challenging. The entire concept of not speaking your spells is not even mentioned in the movie version of Half Blood Prince. So if you've only seen the movies, then yes, it will appear as nothing more than gunfire magic. But then again, would you really know what the spells were meant to do if you heard them saying them? Just sayin' :)

Jackblade: the quality is much much better with this one. Not crammed at all, and even if you haven't read the books, you won't get bored and you will be fairly happy with following the overall narrative.

Being released in two parts is fair in my opinion. It may be partially due to get more money, but I don't think that is entirely the motive. You are talking about a movie that has a lot of effects work, and cramming all of it in to do the story proper justice (lengthening the screen time) and still yield a high standard of quality, two parts gives the studios enough time to achieve that.

At the same time, your general audience will not want to sit through a 5 - 6 hour movie, even if there is a break. Keep in mind that you are talking about an audience that have jobs, responsibilities, and most importantly, attention spans. If anything else, this break between 1 & 2 gives me a chance to go back and read the book again :)
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a huge fan of the books, so I'm glad to hear the movie caters to that. Although fun to watch, the movies have never really done it for me, just because it's impossible for them to fit every aspect of the book into 2 hours. It's understandable, but they leave out almost everything not crucial to the main storyline, which is some of the most interesting stuff, IMO.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Firebert wrote: »
    Kicks. Ass.

If you are a fan of the books, this is the one movie that will not let you down.

If you've just watched the movies, you will have no clue what is going on. SO GO READ THEM!

Saw it.
    Loved it.
    Can't wait to see it again, and very excited for part two.

just like past 6 movies amirite!! :D
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think they could of packed the book all into 1 movie, my gf is a huge HP nerd and she said even this felt rushed.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    just like past 6 movies amirite!! :D

Nah, not for me anyway. I think the movies became progressively worse after the Prisoner of Azkaban. The Half-Blood Prince movie was absolute garbage IMO. That book in particular was pinnacle in discovering the true character of Voldemort, and they left about 90% of it out in the film. David Yates definitely brought the darkness that is in the books and put it on film, but the screenplay disregarded a lot of key storyline and character development points in Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince.
    That broken shard of mirror that Harry is carrying around throughout the new movie... that was a really important artifact in Order of the Phoenix book, but was never even shown in the movie version.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert:
    I was wondering about that piece of mirror. I forgot to ask my kids about it. I didn't read the books, so I really was confused what the deal with the mirror was. If it was covered in any of the movies, I must have forgotten.

I liked the movie, but I kind of wish we had passed on it, and waited until the 2nd part was ready. Then watch this one on Blu-ray before going to see part 2. I didn't like how they left the audience on this one, which was a concern going into this.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Firebert wrote: »
    Nah, not for me anyway. I think the movies became progressively worse after the Prisoner of Azkaban. The Half-Blood Prince movie was absolute garbage IMO. That book in particular was pinnacle in discovering the true character of Voldemort, and they left about 90% of it out in the film. David Yates definitely brought the darkness that is in the books and put it on film, but the screenplay disregarded a lot of key storyline and character development points in Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince.
    That broken shard of mirror that Harry is carrying around throughout the new movie... that was a really important artifact in Order of the Phoenix book, but was never even shown in the movie version.

I agree to you 95%. 5% disagree due to my fan-ness of HP series. :( Sorry mate. I did like the Half-Blooded Prince.

I guess its time to switch books to Forgotten realms.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    never read the books, but I've seen all the movies, and this one was awesome.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman:
    the mirror was given to Harry in Order of the Phoenix (book) by Sirus. It is a two way mirror. Sirius has one, Harry has the other. Sirus gives it to Harry and tells him that he can contact him at any time. Harry forgets about it and puts it away. When Harry has the vision of Voldemort torturing Sirius, he tries to get in touch with Sirius through the fireplace to warn him not to go to the Ministry. When he calls out through the fireplace, he only finds Kreacher who lies and tells Harry that Sirius is not at the house of Black.

Thinking he has been captured, Harry then goes to the Ministry to discover that it was trick, Sirius DOES show up, but then he dies at the hand of Bellatrix. Once Harry gets back to Hogwarts, he is emptying his trunk and finds the mirror. Remembering that Sirius said he could talk to him at any time if he only called his name, he realizes he could have saved his godfather's life if only he had used the mirror instead of the fireplace. Still hoping that Sirius could hear him even though he is dead, Harry calls for Sirius to only see nothing. Becoming upset, he smashes it into his trunk.

The shard he carries is what is left of the mirror. Sirius' copy of the mirror was stolen by Mundungus Fletcher and sold to Aberforth Dumbledore (Albus' brother) who is the "glaring blue eye" you see in the mirror reflection. He sends Dobby to rescue Harry from the dungeon. Harry thinks that the eye is Albus'.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert: Thanks... now I wish I could rewatch the movie with a better understanding ;)