Home General Discussion

Is Sci-fi, Robots, and technical art not appealing for women/girl?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
xvampire polycounter lvl 14
maybe I over-analyze it a little bit but here's the question :

Is Sci-fi, Robots, and technical art not appealing for women/girl?

what makes those tech-art stuff friendly for them?

person who really love this
update1-10.jpg
update1-19.jpg

are they love this the same way?
ilium.jpg
me2guides57.jpg

just out of my curiosity :p

Replies

• Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Depends on the girl really. You don't like romance movies, soap operas or hello kitty, do you?
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eh, my girlfriend loves that stuff more than I do. She's a massive Gears of War fan, loves the OTT big guns, gore and sci-fi lunacy, but Mass Effect's too talky for her rather than too sci-fi.

In her case, I think the aesthetic is a slight a barrier to entry but it's the gameplay that matters to actual engagement with - and enjoyment of - the game's content.

It's all fairly dependent on the individual, though. I'm sure you'll find guys who don't care for the sci-fi/mech approach and girls who dig it.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Hello kitty is the greatest thing human kind has ever created.

And no, women generally don't like sci-fi. Interestingly enough, if they really like the guy who exposes them to sci-fi, they may force themselves to like it, or at least tolerate it. It's obvious and intellectual at this point.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    yeah..my wife is into Scifi..she just finished Fallout3..

....and she was into this stuff before she met me

why do all white people like golf?
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Minotaur0 wrote: »
    Depends on the girl really. You don't like romance movies, soap operas or hello kitty, do you?

I'm a sucker for Romantic Comedies, and I wear that badge proud! :D
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Yea, Low odor, let's pretend something doesn't exist because in your world everything is 100% square and differences don't exist.

or you could read just one of a billion examples: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/15/geeky_decor_puts_off_ladies/
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how did my post infer that "everything is 100% square and differences don't exist."

did I offend you with the white people comment?
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    You kidding me? I think you're great, why would you offend me?

I understood your post to suggest that I was making an unwarranted and broad generalization similar to "all white people like golf".

Perhaps that's not what you intended, but as this is a text based medium, the humanity of what is said is oft lost.

cheers mate.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, I know my wife is the exception..I'm a very lucky man..because we can share stuff like Hitchhikers guide, Fallout..etc ...I think the geek culture is still in the closet for a lot of woman...is it due to generalization...I'm sure some of it is. For instance: If you walk into my daughters room, she has a pink fairy canopy bed. Did we buy it because she likes it, or, we just assumed she would like it because she is a girl(she's 3). Am I trying to conform my daughter to some female stereotype.. probably..and its root is in the generalization the I was taught,and absorbed through my life. We are also introducing her to our own values that conflict with the more harmful generalizations(I hope)....but to cut to the chase..Most woman don'l like scifi..it's true..why? Depends on the person....ah but fear not..there are some cool geek chicks out there.

of course none of this applies to honkys
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    my wife is way more into the mass effect and startrek kind of scifi than me, and she's not even the geeky kind.

But yes, I think females quite often avoid to start liking these things (even if they probably would), due to the social stereotype aspects still connected with it, but it's getting better.
  • evilblah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    evilblah polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, my fiance is into all kinds of movies and games including the sci-fi genre. She tries to resist them though because she is worried that if she dives into them, it will start to take too much time from her other areas of interest. Perhaps that's another reason why women in general stay away? My 2 cents.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    All the cool girls like scifi. And zombies. ;)
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    ... Ohhhh, so THAT is why I'm single.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Hate/Love everything and you may just find someone who can stand listening to you talk about how much you hate/love everything :D

But I guess more and more ladies like the sci fi thing the more popular it gets.