Home General Discussion

Is the way game artists texture bad?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
I was recently reading a blog post from a game developer I respect a lot, Jon Blow. In it he said:

"t seems, in video games we have developed a tradition of “bad” texturing, whatever that means: unsubtle, unrefined, or just plain ugly"

http://the-witness.net/news/?p=668

Is he right?

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    He doesn't sound entirely like an expert on the whole 3d thing, and his article on what "bad" is, was kinda vague.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Well quite often I spot bad UV'ing and seams on lots of props in games but to be fair their sheer scale and the fact most of these props are not made for long glancing makes up for it.

Texturing can take ages if done to perfection but then would some games be finished in time :D
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think he is saying standard textureing practice is bad, he's just saying that it is bad for the style of his game. Although, I did get the impression that he has looked at some poor portfolios.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    yeah, he certainly didn't explain what he meant by "bad" very well, but just that isolated statement is something i can completely get behind.

from my studies, game artists in particular have some really bad tendencies when it comes to texturing, something i generally don't notice in film/archvis/other forms of CG artists. i am betting the cause is just misinformation, but perhaps another reason is because so many of these artists are lacking traditional art skills, or just forgetting to apply that knowledge to their textures as well. here are just a few of the really common flaws i've noticed:

overloading textures with too much stuff (this one is super common)
    poor/wrong use of spec and gloss maps
    too much high frequency noise, not enough big clear shapes.
    not enough localized detail
    keeping archaic techniques (normal map blue channel as AO etc)
    not thinking about how the surface is in the real world (bright diffuse scratches etc)
    making things look too 'gamey' (trying to imitate other game art, which likely has several of the above flaws)

rarely is it that i see a portfolio where the art doesn't have these issues, and most of the people who don't succumb to these mistakes are already hired and often don't have a portfolio, so i wouldn't even get to see their art.

i dunno, these are just some things i've noticed.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    It would be cool if he would show some bad examples he is referring too and then some good ones...
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    It could also be he just discovered GI radiosity renders and thinks they look totally rad, sort of how new artists explore the amount of shapes they can render that way.

I mean, I love braid, but sometimes some developers try a bit too hard on writing essays on quite simple things when it boils down to "didn't like that, so I'll do this", especially if they're not too experienced in some area.

"And, it seems, in video games we have developed a tradition of “bad” texturing, whatever that means: unsubtle, unrefined, or just plain ugly."

Tradition?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMDteRruyx0[/ame]
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    to be honest.. there are a lot more people out there who can create fantastic highpoly models and fantastic bakes but waaay less who are able to create good looking materials (and I say materials instead of textures)

for lowpolys it's bit similar... I say you need to be able to draw and paint to be really good.. you can learn to model if necessary.. but learn to texture without knowing how to draw and paint is way more tricky
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 wrote: »
    yeah, he certainly didn't explain what he meant by "bad" very well, but just that isolated statement is something i can completely get behind.
    [examples...]

I think this is some of what he is getting at. I don't think you have to be an expert in 3D art production to judge if something looks good or bad.

My original reaction to the post was that he was wrong. For example, you have something like this:

204476471_bb2066ffaa_b.jpg

Which looks an awful lot like "bad" game art, but it looks that way because of contrast levels and lighting, which are often outside the 3D artist's control.

And I didn't like how he seemed to conflate the ideas of "bad" and "ugly". Not all good art is beautiful. Some people think Thomas Kinkade paints very pretty pictures, but most art critics think he's terrible.

Or maybe it was a case of sweet lemons, sour grapes. Because he didn't think he had the art resources to do "next gen" art, he decided he didn't want it anyway.

But then I started to worry that he was actually right. That the bad art we have been making is one reason so few people are willing to take games seriously. I guess what I am interested in is, if he is right, what would good game art look like?

maybe these are good starting points:

mirrors-edge-20090108014124856_640w.jpg

ref_tf2splash.jpg
  • thomasmahler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasmahler polycounter lvl 14
    We're currently working on an independent game where we're pretty much trying to fight exactly that. Pretty much every games artist I ever talked to knows this problem - you have your highPoly and it looks great, you do your loPoly and bake the normal and it still looks great, then you have to slap colorTextures on it and because of not enough textureRes it doesn't look as polished and nice anymore as the model with normal map / ao.

I think one solution, the easy, cost effect solution is to simply pick a style that works within this limitation - Mirrors Edge did it and they made the conscious decision to make things whiter, show the color bleeding and the GI. They turned it into their art direction. It's clear, readable and they added strong color elements to guide the player through the maps. It's pretty elegant, we're also doing this on Warsoup - the colorTexture takes the back seat and is only being used for decals / text. The highFreq detail is in the spec.

The problem, imo, is mostly the resolution of our textures. Compared to cinematics / film, our shading / texturing / lighting is just incredibly primitive and if you have close-ups, you'll see just that.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    my beef with lots of peoples texture painting is that they don't establish a solid structure before adding textural elements. Often times people's stuff has what ends up looking like photoshop clouds plastered over everything.

Edit:
    Racer hit the nail on the head
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Ninjas wrote: »
    But then I started to worry that he was actually right. That the bad art we have been making is one reason so few people are willing to take games seriously. I guess what I am interested in is, if he is right, what would good game art look like?

As an indie developer you really shouldn't try to make that the focus of your game, the game should foremost be fun to play, just compare eskil's LOVE to minecraft, both similar, but look at which one is the seller.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Game art, in most cases, doesn't try and recreate exactly how real life looks. For example, lighting. I've played so many games where there are blue lights here, and red lights there, that do not reflect the real world in any way. Does it make it bad? No, probably not. The author might be getting at the fact that real-time graphics aren't based on global illumination, and therefore aren't good, or real looking enough.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    As an indie developer you really shouldn't try to make that the focus of your game, the game should foremost be fun to play, just compare eskil's LOVE to minecraft, both similar, but look at which one is the seller.

I agree to some extent. One thing I thought about game art is that maybe it has evolved to be more "readable", and this conflicts with it's aesthetic qualities. I actually think the art in Minecraft is a lot better than in LOVE though.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    For me personally I find it harder to get advice when it comes to texturing. It seems to be the one field that's sortof left for the individual to figure out on their own. Everything else has tons of resources on it.

Even when it comes to getting crits. When doing the sculpt, people will point out all sorts of problems with proportions, anatomy, design and whatnot. But when it comes to the texturing, the response goes way down, because it's a field that people are generally struggling with more than the others.

One thing that bothered me a while ago is the sheer lack of good tutorials on the subject. I mean especially paid ones. Like Gnomon for instance, I don't think in their entire library there's even one DVD that touches on texturing for game-art. I remember getting the Vitaly Bulgarov DVD when it came out, and was really excited to see how he does stuff, but then all of a sudden it just cuts right before the texturing part. The second DVD never came out.

That's just one example, but it's the way it is all over. They have lots of information about the sculpting/modeling part, but hardly any on texturing.

I think if there were more resources out there on texturing it would alleviate the problem.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I think I'm reacting the way I do mainly due to the way some developers will talk about their games in these ways instead of being busy making them.

Or in other words, I have much more respect for developers who dare talk about what they did wrong in their previous game, and how they would fix it.

There are a ton of better, cheaper and way faster and way better looking ways of dealing with his artstyle issues rather than throwing tons of post processing filters and GI sollutions on what will most likely be not so good models.

I think the discussion we've spawned here is totally legit though, but most likely not anything to do with jon blows adventures.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    So is he talking about bad texturing or noisy art direction? That's a bit of a difference to people on Polycount.

If he means that a lot of games just plunk in detail for detail's sake, then hell yeah, he's right. I think 90% of everything on Polycount, including everything sci-fi and most fantasy, is ugly. Something being impressive doesn't mean it's [/i]pretty[/i]. Something pretty will never win a Dominance War.

He never actually talked about texturing though.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Game art, in most cases, doesn't try and recreate exactly how real life looks. For example, lighting. I've played so many games where there are blue lights here, and red lights there, that do not reflect the real world in any way. Does it make it bad? No, probably not. The author might be getting at the fact that real-time graphics aren't based on global illumination, and therefore aren't good, or real looking enough.

Not sure I can agree there. Global Illumination is getting more and more common in the newer engines. Take Beast(the lighting engine Mirror's Edge used) and UDK(the light engine name escapes me at the moment), they both do a baked GI pass that ups the realism on every static object in the level, and before that level designers would usually manually place lights in order to fake the global illumination.

(doh, pressed report first time I tried to post this, doubt any admin would take it serious thou! Sorry! :i)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Racer445 wrote: »
    rarely is it that i see a portfolio where the art doesn't have these issues, and most of the people who don't succumb to these mistakes are already hired and often don't have a portfolio, so i wouldn't even get to see their art.

Good points, Ive found that over time Im developing more of an artistic eye for things. Now that Ive got a couple of years experience with 3D Im able to spot what Im doing wrong more often.

I dont think there is some magical rule of thumb that represents good art practice and we can all just implement it without any experience or learning. So I dont see what this article is trying to imply.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    probably because it's easier to learn to model than to texture.
    it pays to have a good grounding in traditional art to make a good texture artist
    but not many courses will teach you to paint or to use specific techniques.

also to get all the members of your art team to texture in the same way is tricky , so perhaps a simpler style helps in this regard
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I personally believe that bad game texturing is a direct result of Bad Art Direction.

Mirrors Edge, and TF2 (as previous examples) have little to do with texturing practices, as much as it has to do with stellar art direction.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    I personally believe that bad game texturing is a direct result of Bad Art Direction.

Mirrors Edge, and TF2 (as previous examples) have little to do with texturing practices, as much as it has to do with stellar art direction.

Well, but to be fair we're also talking about personal work. Like personal projects, or competitions such as Domwar and the likes where it's all in the artist's hands.

Earlier the problem was described that every artist is familiar with, where you start working on something and the high-poly looks great, then the low-poly and the bakes look great, but at the texturing phase it actually takes a turn for the worse. I have that problem too, and I feel that way every time I do a new piece. But I don't know how to help it exactly.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Ruz wrote: »
    probably because it's easier to learn to model than to texture.
    it pays to have a good grounding in traditional art to make a good texture artist
    but not many courses will teach you to paint or to use specific techniques.

also to get all the members of your art team to texture in the same way is tricky , so perhaps a simpler style helps in this regard

one of the things that also helped in the specific case of Mirror's Edge is the small team size, as far as I know a single level artist got to work on 2 or 3 levels by his own, therefor keeping the consistency of the levels pretty much a like.

Whereas in huge teams, with many 3d artists and texture artists using different texture painting techniques, more often than not you'll have a lot of style discrepancies. Yes, that's what the Art Director is for, to bring a style together, but the bigger the team, the harder it gets.

Just sayin.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Great thread, I just learned a lot by reading what you guys been saying..cant really put my own opinion out there cause I don't know much T_T but this is what I feel whenever i see game art and its mostly great modeling and 'okay' texturing. It could be just me though, not saying I'm a great artist though since I'm still a student, but i try to texture and have more of an artistic direction when I'm doing a project
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I can see where he comes from when he says "When you run a radiosity algorithm on a scene full of unpainted geometry, it has an elegant, sophisticated, scent-of-the-real kind of thing going on; but it is very easy to spoil this sophistication through texturing".

The funny thing is, ancient roman and greek scultpure was originally painted in quite bright colors, which would in out eyes probable take away from the beauty of the well defined shapes and distract. It's similar with modeling, as soon as color and material comes in you have more things to focus on than just shape. And all of it fights for attention in your brain.
    Usually the weakest then wins - because it doesn't feel "okay". Sort of "it's just as good as the worst piece of it". So I can see how he can say that textures can ruin a piece.

While some 3D artists are incredible at their craft - they're just not good designers - putting too much detail, too gaudy colors etc. That's why I prefer working from other people's concepts who're better than me finding the right balance.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    This is where i think diablo III most excels visually, they toned down textures and rely more on lighting, the recent shots look incredible.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    I think Blow tends toward categoricals, so he is suggesting something as universal when it might not be universal at all, yet that doesn't mean the problem isn't real and worth dealing with with. He's a really interesting and rigorous thinker; Ninjas and I have had more than a few conversations about his talks or posts.

I think it's a combination of different things--not only the practical question of getting his game done and looking good without being to AAA style spec, but I think just asking the wider question if we can't grow our idea of what constitutes good art styles for games. Mirror's Edge and TF2 get a loooooot of play in discussions like this because nobody had ever done that kind of thing before, and now it's something that is established and we can point to it when we're talking in otherwise some very hard to agree on/hard to define problems and solutions.

If we knew how to come up with a crisp, easier-to-pipeline art style hopefully we'd be doing it and then nailing the wider world with the surprise of how good it looks :)

eld: I really admire Blow but I also thought that video was really funny, pretty great caricature of his speaking style
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    the thing is you should n't try and separate the texturing as some kind of final pass, its integral to the whole process. I try and get a texture on as soon as possible as the faults in your work then become more obvious with a texture applied. generally its a case of the normal map not being strong enough. its just a big balancing act.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    he sounds like every other smug indie douchebag complaining about mainstream games being crap while crowing that his own game is far better
  • thomasmahler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine wrote: »
    he sounds like every other smug indie douchebag complaining about mainstream games being crap while crowing that his own game is far better

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/braid

His last game had a 93 metascore. Just saying.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I don't really understand what half of that post is about. -I don't mean technically, I mean he is very vague and dismissive of.. something, and its not clear what. He presents a solution, which looks to me like a step backwards from most game art, and I'm not sure what the problem is.

:S
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Exactly, he did create a good game, so I'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt and believing that this might be a good game too, but I don't see any weight in the art at all.

one_vs_two_tones.jpg

final_with%20GI.jpg

Problem is, the more one guy is allowed to get lost in his words, wise or not, the further it goes, and it can end up like this: http://iloapp.quelsolaar.com/blog/news?Home&post=79
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12

I would dare to say that Braid was greatly overrated. Sure, it was a good game (I absolutely loved the puzzles myself), but it’s not a life-changing experience as some critics would like us think.

I see its success more as a result of industry being so starved for unique ideas that it will accept anything to fill the void, even if it’s filled with triviality hidden behind a façade of pretence. It might be me, but in spite of all the fun I got out of it, Braid strikes me as cold and calculated product. Ironic, considering that it’s what Blow was trying so hard to avoid.

Don’t get me wrong, just like Blow I also don’t like the direction that gaming has taken, but I am also not sure if I like his idea of what gaming is meant to be.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18

it was a good platform puzzle game, but look at the reviews and tell me it's not full of assholes trying to convince us that games are art
    It's is a game that makes you think about your own life as much as it does about gaming.
    Eurogamer wrote:
    It stretches both intellect and emotion, and these elements dovetail beautifully rather than chaffing against each other. Still wondering if games can be art? Here's your answer.
    1up wrote:
    Braid is made truly divine with emotional depth and a bittersweet humanity

if it was sonic bouncing round manipulating time, it would have got scores in the 80 range, braid got such high scores because it's an indie art game, and reviewers love that shit because it lets them point to games and go "see, we have pretentious bollocks too"
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    maybe they enjoyed the job blow did on braid.
  • thomasmahler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, but I think that's complete and utter bullshit.

Braid is a completely focused experience that, well, focuses on one thing and just gets it right - sounds familiar? http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/portal - This game did the same thing. And a lot of times, that's all you need to create a great game. Here's another example: http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/flower

Not every game has to be an insane, epic, $50 million rollercoaster ride. Most of the time it's enough if you get one thing right - because frankly, even though most AAA games offer more, their core often isn't necessarily stellar to begin with.

I think what Jonathan refers to is simply that a lot of times bad texturing and memory limitations ruin video-game art and that there are ways out there that we can use to create different styles. Now, I don't think that the progress he shows is particularly impressive, but I do get where he's coming from and I do appreciate him showing and discussing his research.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I think I've interpreted it as this:

on his budget and looking at the portfolios of artists he could afford with it, models usually look better when they're GI-lit and not so much when textured due to the inexperience of those artists.

And in the end a game on that budget couldn't afford good texturing, so to solve his problem he'll skip out as much on texturing as he can.

He's right on one thing, good looking 3d games are expensive.
  • trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trancerobot polycounter lvl 7
    Kwramm wrote: »
    I can see where he comes from when he says "When you run a radiosity algorithm on a scene full of unpainted geometry, it has an elegant, sophisticated, scent-of-the-real kind of thing going on; but it is very easy to spoil this sophistication through texturing".

The funny thing is, ancient roman and greek scultpure was originally painted in quite bright colors, which would in out eyes probable take away from the beauty of the well defined shapes and distract. It's similar with modeling, as soon as color and material comes in you have more things to focus on than just shape. And all of it fights for attention in your brain.
    Usually the weakest then wins - because it doesn't feel "okay". Sort of "it's just as good as the worst piece of it". So I can see how he can say that textures can ruin a piece.

While some 3D artists are incredible at their craft - they're just not good designers - putting too much detail, too gaudy colors etc. That's why I prefer working from other people's concepts who're better than me finding the right balance.

I've never noticed this, but now that you mention it... Heh I guess that's why it's good to have traditionally taught artists, vs people who went to game art schools. Still, a simple radiosity solution just seems too easy, lol, as game artists we have to complicate things. I bet there is a nice middle ground somewhere. Maybe Heavenly Sword?

Also important is context. An edgy techno game wouldn't be textured like a Medieval game. In the Medieval game you'd want dirty textures.

[edit/update] Even then the best idea is to be realistic, not noisy. This probably seperates the game texture artists from the film texture artists more than anything.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    eld wrote: »
    maybe they enjoyed the job blow did on braid.

ahahaha
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Concerning his general point about lighting being more important than texture, I think he's absolutely right, and the proof is in how the emergence of new shaders and tools has made it far more common to see really nice looking assets. Marmoset/3ps shader/etc aren't an instant recipe for eye-candy, but they're damn close. What would have looked uninspiring before suddenly looks decent because there are now lighting methods which are closer to reality, and lighting and surface properties are far more important than texture.

This is why highpoly renders often don't require texturing past color and a mild noise filter. There are shaders and material settings which can do all the legwork.

As for "bad" texturing, I can't really agree. It's often ugly due to tech limitations, sometimes due to poor work (those random assets in games that look absolutely terrible for no reason), but on the whole most big budget games with professional staff have excellent texture work. Seems to me he was just looking at sub-par portfolios, or he has a very specific style he prefers.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Sorry, but I think that's complete and utter bullshit.

Braid is a completely focused experience that, well, focuses on one thing and just gets it right - sounds familiar? http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/portal - This game did the same thing. And a lot of times, that's all you need to create a great game. Here's another example: http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/flower

Not every game has to be an insane, epic, $50 million rollercoaster ride. Most of the time it's enough if you get one thing right - because frankly, even though most AAA games offer more, their core often isn't necessarily stellar to begin with.

I fully agree, I'm also not a fan of overblown high-budget experiences like recent COD games that offer little, to no depth (talking about the single player here, so don't hate on me yet :p) and I've always been a huge fan of games that go right to the point.

However, unlike Braid, Portal doesn't aspire to be something more than your regular video game. Quite the opposite, it revels in the geek culture and fully embraces all that comes with it. Its experimental value is also much more subtle than Braid's; often hidden by huge amounts of comedy it doesn't strike you as something that tries to come out as profound or meaningful. It's playful and clever and that's why we love it.

Braid on the other hand could be stripped from its cryptic message and the game wouldn't lose any of its value. All those "story areas" appears as an afterthought; while there is a basic theme that connects the story to the game, they remain separate.
    And then, when you finally decipher Blow's machine code and Braid's meaning clarify, one might start to wonder what all this hassle was all about; it's trivial and not worth the trouble.

A great example of how a game can combine the narrative and gameplay is ICO. Each part of the game (having to lead Yorda through the castle while protecting her from enemies, animation, puzzles, etc.) tells you the story of the characters you control. More so; ICO’s gameplay IS the story; it doesn't rely on cut-scenes or walls of text to make sense, but on your very own experience with the game.

And what's the best about it; it's simple. It's so terribly simple and yet it doesn't try to hide that fact even once. While his games are often put in the same artsy bag as Braid, Limbo, The Path or The Graveyard, Fumito Ueda dismisses the idea of being an artist, or making “art games”. The guy makes fantastic games that keep influencing the industry, but retains his humble attitude. Blow on the other hand often comes off as extremely arrogant about what he’s doing. While I don’t want to resort to personal attacks his persona is deeply tied to the game; people will expect something more from people who make big claims and in my opinion, Braid simply does not deliver.

Sorry for derailing the thread, but you knew that someone had to do it :poly142: