Home Technical Talk

help regarding generating low res models from high res

mixeh
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
mixeh polycounter lvl 8
Hi all,

I'm somewhat familiar with most methods of generating low pollies from highs, but I'm curious as to what is considered acceptable or not in some situations. For example, I'm currently creating a tree in zbrush that is very organic with flowing roots and so forth (similar to http://www.wyred4sound.com/uploads/74030/images/140877/tree_roots.jpg). Is it okay just to polycrunch this in meshlab for the low poly, or should I manually retopologise in zbrush/max?

I guess it's obviously preferred for cleanliness, to manually do it, however in the industry wouldn't it be better to get a similar result and do it much faster by just crunching it? I'm creating this tree for my portfolio, which is the main reason I ask, and I feel I should do it however is considered more appropriate.

I believe to manually do it will take me a very long time that could be deemed unnecessary, but I'd like to hear your guys opinions. Thanks!

Replies

• Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    There are some automatic retopology techniques that are a bit cleaner than polycrunching, like 3Dcoats auto-retopoloy, where you can place some initial loops to guide it.

In many cases, I just use decimation myself (for rocks mostly), for a tree the result could be kind of ugly on the actual tree trunk, so I'd be careful, but test and see what works best really. Retopology shouldn't be a very long process if you have the right tools otherwise.
  • mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks Bal, I'm yet to explore decimation master, i'll try find some info on it, I take it its better then meshlab. I'm doing a lot of stuff like broken statues and pillars for this scene, so I'm hoping to find something I'm comfortable with for making the lp versions.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    decimation master is highly useful when you want to bring a really highpoly to a fairely lowpoly so you could retopolize (is that a word?) it. I see people tend to use topogun quiet a lot :)
    Im a noob so i cant help you further <_< good luck