Home General Discussion

Goldeneye Wii

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
odium polycounter lvl 18
Anybody tried it?

I've been playing it the past few days... I have to say, aside from some terrible Wiimote controls (I had to use a Classic pad, wiimotes poor in this oddly?) its bloody good. My jaw actually dropped playing the Severnaya level, I just didn't expect that from the Wii, and seeing it run on Dolphin is even better, its just jaw dropping... Some really good art. The club level is so nice to look at and listen to, and its just a totally fresh, cool look at a Craigified version of Goldeneye... Colour me impressed!

Like I said, my only niggle was the damn wiimote control, which is nothing like Metroid Prime 3 at all, oddly... Its like, it moves too much to one side, all the time. Maybe thats just my setup. If I had to give any other crit (and I'm scraping the barrel here) it would be the misc weapon models are very, very poor blocky messes and were obviously rushed, at least when you compared it to the PPK.

But yeah... I'm stuck on the damn tank level atm, dunno if its a glitch or what but i go under a tunnel, these two choppers come in and I die instantly, same place, every single time.

Anybody else pick it up? I've yet to try the DS version, hoping thats kinda like the original but doubt it.

Replies

• thomasmahler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasmahler polycounter lvl 14
    I thought about getting it just because of the novelty, but once I saw that the multiplayer maps are nothing like in the Nintendo 64 version... that was a HUGE turnoff. Can't name a map facility and then deliver something completely different, dammit!
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Well the Facility SP map is also nothing like that original, in fact the entire game is just a totally different beast, but it does amazing work most of the time. As a huge nerd fan of the original, it totally took me by surprise. You start in the most basic, bland, boring pointless training room ever created, then 2 minutes later you think "God damn... This Dam actually looks amazing :|".
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Complaints about the maps aside, is the multiplayer itself worthy of the original GoldenEye/Perfect Dark?
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Not played it, but I hear its COD4 lite... So I doubt very much it will invoke memories of the old fun times :(
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I finally caved and picked up a wii this weekend, got the mario red one. Grabbed goldeneye and dead space extraction which was done by the same guys (eurocom). the art in both games is fucking stellar for being on the wii.

the lighting in some areas of goldeneye rivals some nextgen stuff ive seen, not in terms of shadow quality but the use of color and atmosphere.

I looooved the nightclub level, the use of dancing card silhouettes was an awesome way around the wiis hardware limitations, and the fact that during one of the gunfights they cranked the music to be 80% of all sound and dropped the sfx down to be muffled was awesomeley cinematic.

Im playing with the wiimote, would probbaly be easier with a controler but im getting used to it. On a side note, I also rented the new 007 Bloodstone last week. it was alright, a pretty nice looking game, the gameplay was kinda meh, but the more I played it the more it oozed bond atmosphere, certainly warrants more than ign's 5/10 they gave it.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Apparently this is getting a spruced up PS3 and 360 version. The art does not inspire confidence though, look at the loading slot on the shotgun, WTF?

goldeneye_007_reloaded_17_605x.jpg

Nah it'll probably be awesome.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    goldenduty, tbh
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Played it, the first level is horrible and then it gets really good. It's not the same game but it's a good game!
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Why even reboot it? I don't know. It's not even a remake. Just a game inspired by it using the same name. Maybe I wouldn't have a weird feeling about it if it didn't use use the Goldeneye title.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    ErichWK wrote: »
    Why even reboot it? I don't know. It's not even a remake. Just a game inspired by it using the same name. Maybe I wouldn't have a weird feeling about it if it didn't use use the Goldeneye title.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16