Home General Discussion

Advice / experience selling stuff on TurboSquid?

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
Thinking about making some models to put up for sale on TurboSquid and I was curious if anybody else here has done so, and what their experiences were.

- What subjects usually get the most sales?
- What type of models tend to sell better? (realtime vs hi poly)
- How long do sales usually take to trickle in?
- Is there any way to see what's in demand most at the moment before you start building something random?
- Which price points tend to get the most movement?

Figured it's worth a shot to try and bring something in on the side, but I wanted to do some research before I started building random models.

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cut yer hair and get a real job, son.

But really though, I've never sold anything there or know anyone who does. On the Demand side of things, I think generic props would be the best way to go. Maybe I'm being to pessimistic, but I don't think there's much demand for anything specific. Just people not willing to pay real money to have something made to suit their needs.
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    I don't know throttlekitty. Alot of people I've spoken to have said alot of places buy models from turbosquid. From a business standpoint, it makes sense. It's alot cheaper to buy a $10 crate or chair than it is to model one inhouse.

Obviously, if you want to be successful you need to make generic objects, it'd probably be pretty boring work, but I could see it bringing a small amount of extra cash in.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    It's good if you have a bunch of generic models sitting on your hard drive and don't mind selling them. But I wouldn't spent time modeling new assets. Unless you have hundreds of models for sale you probably won't have a ton of success. Plus turbosquid takes 60% of the money. I put up about 30 models a year or so ago, and it's made enough to pay for my gas money every other month and that's about it.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
    I've seen some members make thousands of dollars, but that's only because the majority of their models are over 100$
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Advice:

Dont waste your time on creating junk for turbosquid in the hopes that it might bring in a couple of bucks every month. Instead concentrate on making a badass portfolio that will get you a sweet gig in the industry and where you wont care about making a few bucks one silly turbosquid models.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, employers pay better than turbosquid.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Autocon wrote: »
    Advice:

Dont waste your time on creating junk for turbosquid in the hopes that it might bring in a couple of bucks every month. Instead concentrate on making a badass portfolio that will get you a sweet gig in the industry and where you wont care about making a few bucks one silly turbosquid models.

Usually, that would be the plan, but without a roof over my head, electricity, food, and a net connection, it'll be hard to build a portfolio. Making bills happen has become higher priority so I can build some time for portfolio work.

I would look into a part time job somewhere locally, but I'm worried about sufficient return on time demand vs income from it, and the growing "legitimate job" gap on my resume is getting larger by the day... I've been working niche freelance since Jan 2009... :\

I've kind of backed myself into a tight spot and was just kind of looking at TurboSquid as a possible small side-income.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    I'm working as an intern at a Arch Viz company here in Denmark, and last week we used around ~350$ dollars on models from Turbosquid for a project. Way way cheaper then having on the employees do it.

Our entire model libary consists of bought models(mostly from the packs that Evermotion sells) and a handfull I've modelled.

To answer some of your questions:

- I'm not sure, but my guess would be generic stuff used in Arch Viz.
    - My guess would be high poly objects.
    - No idea
    - I'm not sure. You really have to do some good work or large packs in order to stand out from the crowd.
    - We bought 2 helicopters that each were 150$, the price didnt matter to us since it still was alot cheaper than doing them yourself. When I was looking for them, I had to make sure it would work at a close-up since they would fly right past the camera. So having a good mesh and materials would help you alot.