Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Thrall_Redesign WIP

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
jmiles interpolator
Hey guys.. had an itch to do some warcraft art again... I was inspired by Firstkeeper and I'm attempting to use the technique she did and obtain an uprezzed yet colorful solution to this figure of Thrall.. so far I've finished his weapon, although I may plan to go back to it to see if I can push it further, and tonight I finished up the base mesh of Thrall.. He still has room for optimization.. I'll be looking for ways to reduce his poly count.. he stands at a little over 20k tris right now... there are still other details i'd like to add, like more studs.. but I think that's about it.. he stiil looks good.. posture and proportions feel good.. I'm basing my reference off of Glen Rane's works, as well as model structure influence from FirstKeeper.. hopefully I'll pull it off as nicely as she did.. anyways.. C&C always appreciated.. posts:

thrall03.jpg

Replies

• xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    his proportions look way off!
    he's only 5 heads high, the legs are too short.
    also i never have seen any warcraft orc having such a skirt.

the hammer looks promising, but would you tell me which logo is on its side? i cant recognize it as any standard warcraft orc sign...
  • bglopresti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed. Needs to be taller. Plus he looks like hes wearing slippers with spikes on them. On the bright side the hammer does look solid.
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not really. I agree, the proportions are off and the skirt is a bit off.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the proportion is way off for sure. Taylor / xXm0RpH3usXx are right. At first I thought he was on his knees, then I thought 'wait.. he's standing up?!'.

The top half looks pretty much right, but below the belt is far too short.

Your best bet would be rip an Orc model out of the WoW Model Viewer and use that as a proportion guide.

The head looks pretty good though.

With regards to the skirt, I guess the Shaman Orcs wear robe/skirt things but is Thrall a Shaman? That's a genuine question and not a sarcastic remark by the way. I'm not familiar with WoW lore enough to know.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, the head is awesome. The hammer texture is looking great, and the detail is pretty sweet. But those legs are way squashed.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    hey all thanks for the great suggestions.. did a quick proportion change to the hips and legs.. also.. I did create a version of Thrall wearing his leg plates... need to model straps around dem boots and leg plates yet :S

@ xXm0RpH3usXx-- the hammer is the Doomhammer from the WC universe.. the symbol on the head is of a wolf, or worg or w/e.. I believe Thrall came from the Frostwolf tribe and he inherited this hammer and his gear from his father.. blah blah blah.. if you look it up, there are versions of it on the web.. Shamens also have a tendency to wear thick leather kilts-- this was kind of a tough design choice because you would need to worry if people would recognize him in this new design. I wanted to try something different than normal, but I have his regular gear done too! :)

@ creationtwentytwo-- yeah man, Thrall is a shaman even though he normally wears all the plate-- Warcraft III would explain all that.. I chose to take this art direction because of a piece of concept art I found, where Thrall is actually wearing more chainmail than plate.. so.. granted I had to keep some recognizable features from his original gear, but he will be wearing the thick leather kilt with chain mails and some plates to add to his silhouette-- all in all, redesign and try to make him look cool

thrall04.jpg

thrall05.jpg
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    Thanks Itismario :) yeah, all diffuse color and potentially a spek map
  • Ampaist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks awesome so far, looking forward to seeing this textured
  • jrmenace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alot of floating geo, kinda never really get the hang of that awsome model tho,question where would i find some good tuts oon that subject of floating geo
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guess I don't know my warcraft characters and correct proportions. I don't know why I didn't see it earlier, but the proportion issue is totally clear to me now; idk guess i was just tired.

This is now deserving a public appology to Morph, please forgive me terrible eyes and judgement <3<3<3

and now on topic, he looks great! The side view looks perfect, but something is bothering me about the front view, though I'm not really sure what it is
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    @ Jrmenace-- really all you have to do is get your shapes the way you want, and place! Shift + translate objects to duplicate them around, or detach objects from others and set their pivot points to x0 and mirror or use the symmetry modifier.. some things I used symmetry, other things I duped and hand placed myself to give a little bit of a hand-crafted look and unevenness. Perhaps it would be a good idea to attach some of the floating parts to the bulk of the mesh.. some things work, other things might just create an over-use of tris.. really it's you to you in the end.. hope that helps :)

@ {SF}Three9-- yeah man my proportions were pretty off.. no worries! I had to do a double take from my reference.. hopefully this helps the character and makes him feel more massive.. I'll take a look at the details in the front.. let me know if you figure out what's bothering you and I'll see what I can do.. thanks!
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    okay, you are definatly right about the shaman thing...
    dammit, i modded wc3 for over 5 years and it totally slipped out of my mind.
    (i remembered about him being raised by blackmoore, thus thought he couldnt have a shamanistic bnackground, then i read that he was initiated by Drek'thar, meh, my fault)

i like the redesign, doent alter him too much, but makes good sense and even educates :)
    go, go, go!
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, this could turn out really good although I also feel the proportions are weird - but I think I know why.

Did a paintover to explain. So basically, that strip reads like the bottom of the belt which means his legs looks like they start very low on his body. Good thing is that this will probably be fixed through textures anyway:
    thrall05.jpg
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    @ Morph-- it's all good man! thanks for the comments :)

@ JGcount-- yeah man thanks for pointing that out for me.. now that I look at it, it feels like it's causing a tangent for the real belt.. the strap is placed a bit too close to the belt.. I can play w/ placing it differently, either lower it, or make it smaller, or add another strap to make it look different than that actual belt.. but yes, textures will fix this issue too.. if ya look at the version of him wearing his plate legs, the proportions, I believe are much more solid.. but w/ the drapery of the kilt over the legs, that still might need a bit of work to look correct, so i'll work on that.. thanks for the critz :)
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can you post the concept that inspired this? just curious to see where it is going.

also the legs seem a bit bowed right now, and some bend int he elbow would go a long way on making the pose look more natural.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    sure thing woog--

this is my main ref, granted the legs have been cut off and this is where I decided to improvise, but the hammer is based on this art and most of the features...

thrallcataclysmlocation.jpg

this is another concept that has the full body. I'm partially taking reference from his to get the over all proportions correct-- i even own the figure of this exact design, so I can see it in the round too, but the first image is what I'm going for in terms of the over all look:

02a36df0a91801f115e579b.jpg
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    Here's an update to my model.. I will start to unwrap and texture tomorrow

thrall06.jpg
  • Veneficus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is awesome! I'd love to see a redesign of Thrall, and I think you're off to a great start! I think the kilt is a great idea, as I think Thrall needs to have his appearence fit his nature a bit more. Especially the way the setting has moved now, with Grommash and Sourfang being the badass warrior types, and Thrall being the elder, wise shaman.

Really love the hammer and the kilt design. It has a real thickness that I find very orcy:)

I think on the ref, the torso tapers more to the waist, and the arms might also be thicker in relation to the body. Also, on the top ref, the head sits higher on his shoulders. I think you can see on the side view of the silouhette that the placement of the head is a bit weird.
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Nice looking model. I do have a concern though.

The long ornamental skirt is a big part of your design and i like it, but with it being so long it's going to cause a lot of headaches for you if you decide to pose this guy up or animate him. If you ever wanted to move his legs around there's going to be a lot of unnatural stretching and warping, those circular ornaments especially are going to suffer a lot.

I think if you put a split down the middle of the front so it can flow around the legs it'll be a lot less hassle, or perhaps a split down both sides so there's a seperate front and back. It'll also give you a chance to add some detail to the legs underneath which would really look nice when the skirt is flying around.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    the little bolt things don't really add much, i'd get rid of the small ones on the shoulder pads, arm guards, belt, etc and just texture them in
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting better, dude.

Just want to say, Thrall, in cataclysm, is a robe wearing shaman now. So the skirt is kinda justified.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    Finally getting back to this model. I'm taking my time to find places to reduce and I have a goal set at 10k tris.. which I was able to work out tonight. There will be further reductions from this as I plan to be rid of the nubbies all together, but I'm leaving them in here for ref, AO, and light maps-- which will then bring Thrall down to about 8.5k tris.. so I'm really happy about this-- that TRON project really helped me get better at working w/in a budget and seeing what I can get away with form wise.. I have a ways to go on the reduction of the kilted version of him, but I'm not sure I want to do that anymore.. I think he looks badass the way he is now and am content painting him up the way he is originally.. crits/comments/suggestions welcome.. peace..

thrall07.jpg
  • stop619
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stop619 polycounter lvl 8
    jmiles,

Great stuff!
    Could you possibly post a close-up of the Doomhammer?

Thanks.

S6