Home Technical Talk

[3DS Max] Crashing

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
Recently my 3DS Max has been crashing when I do simple operations like Connect or Bevel. By recently, I mean today on a new model. When I do pretty much any operation, even if it's just on one polygon or two edges, my Max just freezes and I have to force it closed. I've never had this problem before and it's quite annoying. It shouldn't be caused by the model because it's a fairly simple 400 triangle model. Does anyone have any ideas on what's causing these freezes?

Replies

• animax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animax polycounter lvl 15
    Try working on a different model.If max doesn't crash then it's the problem with that file.You can create a new max file and merge the model into the new max file.

If max does crash on your other model files also then, maybe re-installing should solve the issue.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you tried creating a cube, convert it to edit poly, attach your mesh, delete the cube element?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried your cube method Vig and when I went to select the polygons to test after deleting the cube Max crashed, so I'm going to say that one didn't work.

Then I merged it into a new file and it still crashed while trying to transform.

Then I tested out some operations on a new cube in a new file and it worked perefctly fine. I guess there's just something wrong with this model although I don't know why. Do you guys have any other suggestions?

EDIT: I started playing around with the model and it turns out that it's only being crashed when I work on certain areas of the model, even though they're on the same element. Have any idea why that would happen?

EDIT: Garrrr... I tried opening a backup of the file from last night that I saved and somehow that file is corrupted or something because it just won't load. Why is this model causing me so much trouble!

EDIT: Okay so after I was able to get a few things done on it while enduring the crashes I was about to take a picture for you guys, but Max decided it doesn't want to load this file ever again and freezes when I load it. I guess I'll just restart the model from scratch and try to avoid whatever caused this to happen on that area of the model.

Thanks for trying to help!
  • Pedro Toledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pedro Toledo polycounter lvl 17
    Sometimes you can accidentally create some "illegal meshes" with faces with no edges, or different verts with same ID's. And the file will work until you try to edit one of these elements.

If you can merge the model into a blank scene you can try converting it to edit mesh and then back to edit poly to see if some part look broken, weird shading, flipped faces.

Or, as you said you were getting this problem when editing an specific part, try deleting this part only. It may save the rest of the work.

Have you checked your autoback files to see if you can recover something?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sometimes you can accidentally create some "illegal meshes" with faces with no edges, or different verts with same ID's. And the file will work until you try to edit one of these elements.

If you can merge the model into a blank scene you can try converting it to edit mesh and then back to edit poly to see if some part look broken, weird shading, flipped faces.

Or, as you said you were getting this problem when editing an specific part, try deleting this part only. It may save the rest of the work.

Have you checked your autoback files to see if you can recover something?

I'll keep those things in mind next time this happens, but I already re-modeled the entire thing earlier today and it's working fine now. Thanks.