Home Technical Talk

Unity android model viewer

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
Would this be possible, use unity to make a model viewer for android? can unity access and load files on the device like that?

Replies

• Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Is there Unity for Android yet? I searched for that like last month, all I found was "coming soon".
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    Some people have access to it some do not. its still in beta. was just wondering if anyone here did.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    i'm waiting for my android plugin but unity tells me i didn't buy it.... dammit
    that was my first little project to do, get some models to my cellphone and later be able to exchange them

hu beta? you can already buy android pro for unity, i did that and paid a shitload of money for it :O
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    what'd be really interesting is an app like this for android & iphone, that could be pointed to a "package" of a model/texture/material setup (specially formatted zip file?) anywhere on the web that it could open up and display.

Do that with a bookmark list, and a few options for lighting or something, PIMP.

Then you give it to these polycount folks so that it can be made into a forum plugin. Then you could do stuff like [modelview]http://stuff.com/awesome_model.zip[/modelview] and get a little unity model view right in your thread.

PIMP I SAY.
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    Carlos, I was working on something like with one of the forum admins here :P The unity part is mostly done but I guess he never implemented the forum plugin part of it.

Actually heres a test I did:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5055465/pcviewertest/pcviewer.html

It streams an obj file and some png's from the internet.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pimp indeed.

But how secure is it? I remember in past web model viewers, people could rip models and textures...
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    even if you could rip some models, you could use it for SDK's
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    It's possible..
    For android publishing You will need download and setup Android SDK so Unity can find libraries when you make your build. You need to digitally sign it also. This is no issue cause this sign you can easily create yourself.. Google for Android SDK and you will find all related information there..
    For web viewer look for Unity wordpress plugin if You are confortable with PHP and little Java it should be easy to convert and implement it in forum.. But as Vig said it's rip able i think like all of 3d stuff... If you look into 3D Ripper DX features.
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    Pretty badass as always, Kurt!

Doesn't Unity support OpenGL? Not impervious to ripping I'm sure, but probably more difficult...?

Ripping is always going to be impossible to prevent in some form or another. I would imagine that in forum form, this would be reserved for learning-related stuff rather than presentation-stuff.

Now as for an android/iphone app, it'd just be nice to be able to show off your stuff on a mobile device like that in an easy way. To whip out an ipad and have some of your 3d stuff on there so easily, would be pretty damn cool!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    of course ripping might not be impossible but just an easy pose will make reusing stuff so much more complicated that its not worth even thinking about it. ripping textures, dunno they are sooo assetspecific that ripping them will never really help anybody, so why really fear it?

awesoem unity still thinks i never paid for the upgrade, just awesome, paypal says its a unity problem end unity says its a paypal problem, just greeeeeaaaaat