Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

BrainSplode! indiegame

mod
Offline / Send Message
rooster mod
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-Tt4rTeGh0[/ame]

DOWNLOAD PAGE:
http://www.redprodukt.com/blog/?page_id=100

BrainSplode is a new game from Rust Red Games about rockets and busting some alien brains! They came to suck the life out of the planet, but they didn’t expect to be BrainSploded!

As the game progresses, more stages are added to your rocket allowing for complex and exciting manouvers! Then, choose your own configuration to burst the brains!

-physically simulated explosion funnels down tunnels and around scenery!

-bouncy yellow pads!

-multiple solutions!

12-300x203.jpg22-300x203.jpg
4-300x203.jpg5-300x203.jpg

Replies

• Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Cool game!

First notess, make the power less twitchy, was hard to get that pressure just right. Though if this was a touchscreen game that input would work better.

Let the user drag around the screen and zoom instead of using the mini map.

More player rewards, score, combos, a par to beat. All super simple stuff but can make the game much more compelling. Also lets you add leaderboards.

Other than that with some polish and a sweet theme i think you have a winner.

Oh and having a tutorial instead of instructions would be great, show dont tell :).
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    i was just about to post that i couldn't get the last two blocks in the first level, and saw now as Muzz posted that i could adjust power, my own fault for skimming through the instructions.

Definitely a fun game, I'd love to have a high score, or even limited shots, to make it a bit more challenging, definitely a thinking game this. Favorite bit is when using all the power ups to make shots.

I'm looking forward to see how you integrate story with this gameplay.

Agree with Muzz about the minimap, it's a little unintuitive to have to drag around on that, when i would rather drag around on the screen.

Would also be nice to have a zoom function, so i can choose whether or not to zoom out, as opposed to the current treatment of zooming out when panning with the map, and zooming in during firing.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    awesome suggestions Muzz and kaptainkernals! thanks for the feedback :)

the first thing i'm trying to address is the control resolution, a few other people have commented on the twitchyness too. I've updated the download link to move the aiming/power to UI giving much more resolution to it.
    there's also a little laser pointer thing to aid aiming, although ultimately I'd like a little arc predicting the first part of your shot.

cheers!
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could even go with a Worms approach, homing rockets, or even the odd grenade!
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Playing a bit more, it come to my attention that I didn't always have the handle behind the cannon for aiming and adjusting power, it just sort of disappears after i've finished the first level, this happened on both 1024x768 windowed, as well as 1920x1200 fullscreen. So maybe look into that.

:edit:

Just tried the latest version, and my aiming and power block, even when in the UI disappears when going to a new level, definitely disappears going from level(complete) to level two. This was on 1920x1200 fullscreen, 60hz

I haven't really had much twitchyness,was quite smooth my side, can't wait to see some more finished artwork and better sounds, I quite like the gameplay as is. Though what you've said you'll add is definitely a good path. I'd go for the small arc as opposed to the laser.

And in the latest version, with the controls in the UI, it's hard to aim the left flat with zero power, you have to put the block just before the corner, otherwise it tilts up slightly.

Mike, if you decrease power, you'll find they easy to hit, and some others require mid air detonation to hit
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    This was way fun. Beat all the levels with relative ease, but then, this is one of my favorite types of simple games.
    I like that the straight ahead laser aimer doesn't show the exact path your shell takes, and I really love the "choose your own powerup combo" at the end. It really makes a LOT of wild trajectories possible.

I really do think this could be even more fun with real challenge levels, and par shots, that sorta standard fare. I also like that you've limited the cannon to a 90 degree arc. Its not standard for shooty physics games, and it makes for a fun limitation to think around.

The one big suggestion is: An exit button. :)

Other fun achievement: I destroyed a target with rocket exhaust then another one with the eventual impact. :D
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    This game is excellent! It makes me think of lasers and mirrors, but with more interaction. This is honestly the only trajectory+power game I've enjoyed (besides worms of course). It's not too difficult, but that doesn't bother me, because it's quite fun trying out different things to hit stuff. Also the last level owned
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    jimmypopali: yeah, I have ideas for loads of alternative 'components' to alter the behaviour. I don't want to go too worms though, I want it to be a different game rather than 'worms but without multiplayer'

mike: hmm, I don't know if you have time to comment further, but it would help to know which targets are causing trouble?

kaptain: aah, yeah it's actually meant to do that. The problem I had when introducing new rocket components was that often instead of tweaking the component or altering the timing as intended, testers would go back and try to aim the cannon differently. So I disabled the aim/power on some levels intentionally so that people are forced to experiment with the full extent of the component flexibility.

It mentions in the instructions 'aiming and power are locked for this level' but I need a better way of getting this across. any ideas?

Vailias: thanks man! oh and yeah exit! doh! (for future ref, esc quits, but I need a nicer way of handling it :) ) I'm going to add another couple 'free form' levels at the end where the user is free to get targets in a variety of ways. and a par system is definately a plan

PatJS: thanks bud! the last level is really how it's intended to play- the others are to get players familiar with the different elements, so its great to hear it does all come together :) I personally like the satisfaction of figuring out the whole plan, and succeeding, much more than being presented with the solution and then having to achieve it
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Thrusters all the way! Parachute is for wimps. Nice game.

I usually didn't want to wait around to see the explosion effect. My mind was way ahead and planning the next move and I found myself to click LMB in hopes of firing the next missile. I had to wait for the explosion effect to finish.

My 2 cents would be to let the player launch the next missile immediately after the explosion effect has been triggered, even if it hasn't finished.

Is this related to Quest3D somehow? I remember using that way back in 2002 or something :)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    kodde: hmm, ok man will have a think about that!
    yeah i work in quest3d. i love it to bits!

here's a colour test I'm playing with for the levels:
    colour_test.jpg
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perhaps instead of stating aim and power are disabled in the help at the beginning of the level (i never read it, and alot of the functions are quite intuitive). and don't really need lengthy explanations, even instead of a wall of text, have a pop up with the ICON of the power with a small blurp, instead of the longest explanations.

And i reckon a simple 30s tutorial explanation the most core functions, and later level powerups explained through icons and blurbs, or even image sequences. Have it play the first time you play the game, and never pop up again, unless a person wished to rewatch it.

When the help is closed, have a small blurp pop up, or even keep the aim + power box open, and just have a message or icon over it stating disabled/inactive. As opposed to it simply disappearing.

Can't wait to play the next version.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    more colours: (yeah, I'm going kind of far out with this..)

colour_test2.jpg

kaptain: defo agree about cutting down the text- at the least I want to replace it with images
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Great work man, I just played through all the levels and really enjoyed it. I had fun fiddling with the controls, nothing felt broken to me. Really any feedback is stuff I'm sure you're already thinking about but haven't had time to implement yet. Keep it up, and I'm loving the color schemes :)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    thanks hobodactyl!

some more pix:
    gun.jpg
    brain.jpg
    bots.jpg
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    All those color schemes on the circle make me think Loony Toons. :)

But why limit yourself?
    Use several of them. Perhaps different color schemes represent different areas with differing gravitation and or air viscosity mmm?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    update!

see first post for download link

been working mainly on graphics, but there's some gameplay tweaks too.
    its much quicker to fire a new rocket after you've taken a shot- you can fire it quickly after the explosion, and grabbing the aimer will set the camera to its aim position

also I've added in these little creature things.. try not to kill them, or not :)
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1 little niggle I have at the moment, is that while zoomed out, as soon as you fire the camera zooms back in again, and makes it hard to judge when to activate some of the powers - e.g. rocket or parachute, and as such you require to shots for something that should require one.

So it would be nice, if zoomed out, it stays zoomed out while the shell / missile is in flight.
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Very nice! I like the spinning projectile, it makes the rocket feel more ballistic for whatever reason. I also agree with your choice of target; everyone knows that disembodied brains are bad news (Metroid, Futurama, Robocop).

It is really hard to avoid inadvertently killing the rabbits!

e: also, for whatever reason I'm getting really iffy collision detection with the bounce pad in front of the launcher in level two. sometimes it bounces, sometimes it passes through and explodes. I don't remember having this problem with the last version.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Hey man, congrats on getting listed on the Indie Games blog! :D

http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2010/10/freeware_game_pick_brainsplode.html

Now just get rich ;)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    wah! its not finished yet! oh well, I'll ask them to post an update when it is :D
    awesome :)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    so, this is the first full release! see the original post for download details and spread the word pretty please :)

one thing I need a bit of help and feedback on if you play the game: the tutorial icons. I'm a bit burnt out on the game right now and everything seems obvious to me, but i've recieved feedback the icons could be clearer. I want to avoid using text though. Any ideas in this area is greatly appreciated!!

-new final level
    -improved aim accuracy
    -level flow tweaks
    -new graphics
    -new sounds
    -music from Maf: http://maf464.free.fr/

heres some pics:
    12-300x203.jpg22-300x203.jpg
    4-300x203.jpg5-300x203.jpg
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    That was quick! Will give the new release a go, but I love the new visuals. :)
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hey rooster! nice one :)

One thing I'm wondering.. are you just making this for fun or are you planing to make money with it?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    ey thanks guys :)
    basically I'm kicking out a bunch of prototypes with the aim to develop whichever people seem to dig the most :). each one should take 3-4 weeks
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Good fun! :)
    I think it would be nice if the explosion of the rocket is more radial, more like 1 explosion cloud, so its clear when the rocket explosion hits a brain. That would also seperate it more from the rocket drive fire. I find the later levels overwhelming with so many brains that have to get destroyed in 1 level. I think it would be better to keep the levels short and then more levels and if more brains then making it more brains close together because its really rewarding when you can take out more then 1 brain with a rocket at once. Otherwise im missing a bit the motivitaion why you have to destroy brains with a rocket turret but i guess thats just the matter of it being a prototype. Do you have plans to make a scores system or playing the levels against a clock?
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've polished it quite a bit, and taken all the suggestions and implemented them.

That last level was really nice, had to think quite a bit on how to get some of those brains.

I'd definitely would love to see a full game out of this.

Some crits from a friend i sent the link to, to take into consideration if you decide to work further on it.

"Instead of having the box to adjust power and aim, make it so that U can directly adjust the gun itself.Similar to those pool games where u pull the cue back etc."
    ^ I realise you had this mechanic in you're first prototype, though i'm not sure why you removed it.

"Also make it so that mouse scroll is zoom in and out and be able to zoom out more"

Also can't wait to see more prototypes from you.