Home Technical Talk

Photoshop crop creates blurry images?

Ged
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Ged interpolator
Ive just been trying to crop a series of pngs(animation), there are about 400 frames so I created a photoshop batch process to take the canvas size from 569x320 to 512x320 but when I compare the output images to the input images there is very noticable blur! this is really wierd as I thought the image would not be resampled.

When I tried using canvas to crop within photoshop the blurring did not occur :(

this is photoshop CS5, anyone got a solution?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you want to crop the images and get rid of a few pixels? Or squash it down and resize them using something like Main Menu > Image > Image Size?

The Crop Tool shouldn't resample unless you specify a height width or resolution, then I don't think it has any options for what sampling method to use. So if you're going to crop you might want to clear those boxes and set out guides where you want to crop (possible action?) and do it with those boxes clear.

Image Size has a "Resample Image" check box with a few options that help control what it does to the pixels. "Nearest Neighbor" is probably your best bet for per-pixel stuff but because its squashed its going to be messy.

You can record an action of yourself cropping one image using the Crop command instead of the tool and then use batch to apply that to all of the images of that size

Measure out the space you want to crop, lay down some guides.
    Start recording
    Marque select the area
    Go Image > Crop
    Save
    Stop recording
    Batch that action on a folder and go get some coffee.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Vig wrote: »
    Measure out the space you want to crop, lay down some guides.
    Start recording
    Marque select the area
    Go Image > Crop
    Save
    Stop recording
    Batch that action on a folder and go get some coffee.

thanks vig might give this a go tomorrow, yeah crop(canvas size) really shouldnt resample or blur an image at all but when I ran a canvas size action on a folder it blurred all of the images. Your method of doing it with a selection sounds like it might work but really this must be a flaw/bug in photoshop.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    it works! thanks alot, dont really understand why canvas size makes things blurry but I wont use it in that way again
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea there are a lot of pieces of photoshop that leave me scratching my head. Glad it worked!
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    You didn't actually type in your new dimensions in the type in field at the top with the crop tool? That is a resize action and would explain the behavior.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    kodde wrote: »
    You didn't actually type in your new dimensions in the type in field at the top with the crop tool? That is a resize action and would explain the behavior.

nope I was using canvas size to crop at the beginning but it seems canvas size does not actually physically crop but slightly resamples but it only does this when used on a batch process, it doesnt blur/resample at all when used in photoshop on a single image.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    That's way weird. Good to hear that it worked out well anyways.