Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Broken City

Hello Gents

This is one of my first full scenes, I did it while I was still in school and I completed it in just under 5 weeks. I'm looking for some good critics so let me know what I can do better. Complements are also welcome :)

cityscene1.jpg

cityscene2.jpg

cityscene3.jpg

cityWireframe.jpg

Replies

• downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    HOLY NORMAL MAP BATMAN!!!!!!!!!

Normal mapping is a tool to had to the surface you may want to turn it down a notch.

other then that seems pretty good
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the lighting is far too direct. the shadows are either not there or pitch black.
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, figure out how to get some indirect lighting in there. It's a pretty complicated scene but all is lost when you get those nasty black shadows.
  • Mitchell Ford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes I would agree that the normals are pretty crazy in this one and I am not really a lighter, i probably should have put it into unreal or even marmoset instead of lighting it in max.
  • Goat Justice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat Justice polycounter lvl 10
    You've got a decent start. There are definitely some things you can improve though.

Lighting: Its already been commented on, but the lighting is harsh. Things in those shadows disappear completely. One of the cars in your scene is only visible in the wireframe render.

Textures: How did you texture the scene? It would be nice to see the maps. Some of the props like the cars, and light poles should probably have more well defined texturing. Right now they look kinda under detailed. There are some things that bother me about the building textures, as well, but its hard for me to give advice without seeing the maps.

Modeling: Don't be afraid to throw some extra mesh detail into the broken parts of buildings. Shilouette really matters in those areas, and adding even 50-100 polys can be better than a faceted outline against the sky. The broken wall on the lower right behind the car is a pretty good one.

Hope that helps you zero in on some things to work on. It takes a while to really master large scale props like buildings, but once you get a workflow established its not too bad.