Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - John Reusch

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Illusions polycounter lvl 18
Hey Everyone. After a long time working on it, I've finally completed my online portfolio enough to show it off. I'm looking for critiques on both the site itself, and the content.

The Portfolio of John Reusch

At the previous company I worked for, BioDigital, I mainly worked as a generalist on medical animations and illustrations, doing everything from animating to modeling, texturing, etc. including even compositing, some minor sound work, and 2D After Effects power-point style work. I've tried to whittle it down to mostly stuff I solely worked on, in the realm of modeling, texturing, and shader work. I have some additional stuff I would like to include, but was going to wait until after I got some feedback. This additional work I'm either unsure of the relevance of showing, or how to show it appropriately. For instance this includes: a Maya shader that through attribute controls morphs in appearance from a translucent stem cell to marbled cardiac muscle cell (relevance), or work done for an episode of Mystery Diagnosis and some 3D illustrations for an anatomy book (not well known, difficult to link to).

Going to start posting r

Replies

• onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    Hey i like your portfolio, but what type of work are you looking for. oh yeh got a question about how u did the wires for the EndoWrist. is that normal map or displacement?
  • Charlie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would suggest maybe breaking up the areas when you show off the various assets for your pieces on the site. Maybe offer thumbnails for them and then bring them in to a larger size when you click on them. At the moment my eyes don't have anywhere to rest. I want to admire some of the great models you have but instead my eyes are being pulled down to the next piece.

Also the "Jump to" bar, I didn't actually see it the first time, I went back and looked around for something like it and only then did I see it. Maybe detach it from the header and move it down and bit to make it stand out more. Also make the links stand out more.

I'm sorry if I'm not being very useful or this isn't what you wanted. It's just some of my ideas about it!

P.S That has to be creepy modeling so much of the human insides! You do a great job of it.
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    You have too much pictures!!!! And text!! Not necessary to put at least 20 pics per asset you have made. Max 3-6 pics per work.
    Your HD movies is taking too long.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heart valves, I would open the page with the animations on the top. Or probably just pics taken in that style. The thumbnail doesn't really tell you what you're looking at, and it isn't clear in the first few pics. There are a lot of pics I think you should trim them down to just a few.

If you're going for game art, you should probably do some game art res/style stuff. Some environment pieces, maybe a simple scene.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    I think there are too many vids for every one object. The should only be one per object (max).
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    roosterMAP wrote: »
    I think there are too many vids for every one object. The should only be one per object (max).

This^

I enjoy the simple layout however
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    @ onionhead_o - Mainly modeling and texturing work. I find it the most fun and enjoyable part of 3D work. As for the EndoWrist, since we were using Maya 8.5 at the time, and had not yet started using Mental Ray for rendering, the ropes were done using regular bump maps. If I remember correctly, at least in 8.5, normals didn't render well in the software renderer, and I hadn't looked into how to generate them procedurally.

@ charlie - Will look into that. They do sort of blend together, so I'll experiment with seeing if a larger margin between the images helps break them up. I'm going to see if I can get on a few other computers besides my own to check out the jump list links issue. Things are either over bright on my desktop or really dark on my laptop.

@ vofff, roosterMAP, Purplepaint and Vig - I'd spent a fair bit of time on this so thanks for pointing that out, as I'd gotten into a mode where I thought that the pages feeling so long was a navigation issue, and not a there-being-too-much-stuff issue. Gonna go through and see what I can trim, and will try to combine the videos in a logical manner so there aren't too many of them either. I can also try to reduce the file size and dimensions on the videos so they aren't as large and take as long to download, but this may end up being a hosting issue. The JW Player has a way to play youTube videos, and I've recently found out that youTube has private videos, so I'm going to look into that.

@ Vig - I hadn't thought of that. Glad I asked around. I'm just used to looking at those shapes and seeing heart valves. As for the game art thing, I'm pretty excited to start watching some DVD's and making some stuff.