Home General Discussion

Realtime Rotoscoping

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Firebert polycounter lvl 15
While I don't think this will replace the need to have artists, this is still fairly cool. Some pretty decent results as well (but that storm drain is not a good example at all.)

Discuss amongst yourselves.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgTq-AgYlTE[/ame]

They could have come up with a better frame for the poster image though :P

Replies

• Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice. Could save a hour or two here and there if you integrate this tech in compositing apps like after effects or fusion.

Messages about changing your world, imagination being only limit and dreaming about better world is kind of silly though :D Removing mobile phone from table is not THAT important :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's pretty cool, even if the hype is a little silly and overselling it quite a bit, like Sandro pointed out.

I was a little confused by the title "Rotoscoping" to me that means making a 3D model based on real world referance plates. This seems more like digital real time airbrushing?

That drain grate had some serious predator visual voodoo going on...
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    making a 3D model based on real world referance plates.
    projection mapping or photogrammetry like Image Modeler?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your big words confuse me... If you mean this, then yea that's what I think of when I read rotoscoping. Not really your fault my pre-coffee brain was a little slow to pick up on what they where doing. I'm all up to speed now =)
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    don't worry... my pre-coffee brain only knows how to copy/paste... i couldn't spell those big words even after i had coffee anyway :P
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jackalope polycounter lvl 11
    looks like real time content-aware fill
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The storm drain is kind of a good example, while it does point out the flaws, it also demonstrates that it's probably not anything faked.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I'd like to try it out on nipples...

whut!? don't you judge me :(
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    I'd like to see it on a high quality video. It's kind of hard to find artifacts when the video feed itself is a low quality live stream. I have a feeling in a 1080p shot every one of those examples would look as bad as the storm drain one.

Still cool though! Seems pretty useful as a 'first pass' for film post-production.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Cool stuff, though that storm drain example was pretty bad - you can see similar artifacting on the desk example at the beginning of the video.

I'd definitely like to see some higher-definition videos, maybe focusing on some more complex objects like multiple wires and cables shot against a sunset or something a little more challenging to roto. Maybe some moving objects, too.

Could be a definite plus for lower-budget films.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    Maybe this will put a damper on so many people having to "fix it in post"

It does look really cool, and if they can get it functioning properly it will be extremely beneficial.