Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medieval Farm Pig WIP

Hello all! I am starting a pig sculpt, and came across a peculiar problem. For some reason once I start reaching the 4th subdivision level, some very tiny 'polys' in my sculpt will change color to white. They don't seem to affect the sculpting capabilities, but I have yet to encounter this and wondered if it was a problem..

I am including evidence of the problem, along with some current screengrabs. C&C appreciated

Replies

• n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    try to copy and paste into a new scene.
  • Jonathan Marshall
    Overlapping polys in the base sculpt perhaps?
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    i had similar issues with where multiple materials had a same seam...
    also.. it got no poop hole :)
    but nicely done otherwise till now!

edit: whats medieval on this pig?
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    apply a new material to it. I get this from time to time, no idea why. Usually happens if I use subtool master to apply material to all subtools, sometime later when I subd the model, some new geometry gets the wrong material on it. You can see the reddish material on the squares probably matches one that you used elsewhere on the model.

Good luck!
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe...oink oink.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking pretty cool so far! Don't forget that pig tails corkscrew instead of curl.
  • miamigator09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw wrote: »
    apply a new material to it. I get this from time to time, no idea why. Usually happens if I use subtool master to apply material to all subtools, sometime later when I subd the model, some new geometry gets the wrong material on it. You can see the reddish material on the squares probably matches one that you used elsewhere on the model.

Good luck!

Thanks cw, (and everyone else :) ) this seemed to fix it. the reddish material was the default mat, and once I filled the subtool again it was resolved.
  • miamigator09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i had similar issues with where multiple materials had a same seam...
    also.. it got no poop hole :)
    but nicely done otherwise till now!

edit: whats medieval on this pig?

Haha still a WIP, don't worry I'll be very thorough and get proper.. anatomy done:poly121:

The medieval theme is somewhat trivial on this model in particular, but this will be one of a series for a game set in a medieval period. If there is a difference between modern and medieval pigs, hopefully it will lean towards the latter.
  • miamigator09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello all! Here is an update on the medieval farm pig, I believe I am close to finishing the sculpt, but if anything seems off please let me know! His anatomy is hopefully acceptable now ;)
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    Vig wrote: »
    Looking pretty cool so far! Don't forget that pig tails corkscrew instead of curl.

1+
  • miamigator09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @cupsster: touche..

I took the tip and curled his tail in, though most of my reference don't actually have a corkscrew, I see what you guys mean. I like it better now!

Here are some polypaint updates.. any C&C towards the textures/sculpt and I will take them into consideration, but I am planning on retopping in a couple days.. Thanks for checkin him out!
  • miamigator09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just installed zBrush 4, so with new polypaint layers, I am going ahead and adding some grungy mud to this pig. Will probably stop polypainting by tomorrow to bring this guy into 3dCoat for a retop. Let me know any suggestions on form, texture, or anything!
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Tamworth Pig
    The Page

I'd say take more of that direction as far as texturing, that kind of brownish orange. Or even go more of the dark route

Painting

Atm it pretty much just appears to be a castrated boar thats slightly harrier than normal. vs a medieval pig.

Also old painting
  • miamigator09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Grimm_Wrecking: Those references are excellent! I will try to incorporate some of the bulkiness of the Tamworth, as well as the texture. These are great resources, thank you!
  • miamigator09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent the day modding the pig sculpt to fit the Tamworth silhouette, and am ready to throw it into 3dCoat for a retop.. Textures are still able to be changed according to feedback, thanks!
  • miamigator09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent the day retopping in 3DCoat and playing with UVs in Maya, and am pretty close to calling this piece finished til rigging.

I ran into trouble when I tried baking out the polypaint from my zbrush sculpt in xNormal.. does anybody know the steps involved there? I tried the "bake high poly's vertex colors" and tried both colorized / uncolorized .obj exports to no avail.

Any help on this would be appreciated!
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    hey miamigator nice pig! I am not sure if it is possible to get the polypaint data out of zbrush that way but there are other ways. Personally I like to do the following;

- you can take your newly retopo'd/ UV'd mesh and bring it into zbrush> append the old sculpt w polypaint. Then subdivide your UV'd mesh to the desired resolution and use > project all in the subtools pallette.
    --then use the "new texture from polypaint" option under texture pallette- clone texture(this will move it to the available textures pallette)- then make sure to flip V before export or flip it in PS. You can also generate normal maps this way as well.
  • miamigator09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! wrote: »
    hey miamigator nice pig! I am not sure if it is possible to get the polypaint data out of zbrush that way but there are other ways. Personally I like to do the following;

- you can take your newly retopo'd/ UV'd mesh and bring it into zbrush> append the old sculpt w polypaint. Then subdivide your UV'd mesh to the desired resolution and use > project all in the subtools pallette.
    --then use the "new texture from polypaint" option under texture pallette- clone texture(this will move it to the available textures pallette)- then make sure to flip V before export or flip it in PS. You can also generate normal maps this way as well.

Hey Dan! I enjoyed watching your comicCon progress :D Yeh I have done the technique you describe before, but ran into a few tedious steps of tidying up spots that don't perfectly project.. I'll give that a shot if another 30 minutes of research don't end successfully..
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    I suppose if you're in a pinch you could also
    -AUV your sculpt in zbrush
    -generate the polypaint to texture at the highest res
    -flp v export
    -at this point you can take your sculpt mesh and export it at any sub that suits you because of the nature of the uv tiles
    -now take into your program of choice,apply the texture generated from zb and do a diffuse transfer to your low res UV'd mesh.

hope that helps-
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    @miamigator09
    To bake the polypaint data in xnormal, you want uncheck "Ignore per-vertex-color" in the "High definition Mesh" section. This is turned on by default on all imported meshes.

Maybe if I came to school I could have mentioned that ;)
  • miamigator09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow wrote: »
    @miamigator09
    To bake the polypaint data in xnormal, you want uncheck "Ignore per-vertex-color" in the "High definition Mesh" section. This is turned on by default on all imported meshes.

Maybe if I came to school I could have mentioned that ;)

Ha, so simple! Got it to work, now all it needs is some ao tweaks and spec on the mud, but I'd say it's nearly complete.
  • miamigator09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The pig is now game ready, thanks for the help along the way! Any c/c on textures is helpful, but I will be wrapping up within the next couple days :)
  • miamigator09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to get some closure :) ps check out my new Medieval Zombie Child thread!
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    nice job,
    for a pig thats pretty sexy!

though calling it game ready would be a stretch, unless this is the main character of your game, this creature shouldnt be over 1000 tris or so. And if it isnt an up close and important pig, perhaps down to 500 tris or so. either way with 512 maps.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome pig model!
  • miamigator09
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shrew81 wrote: »
    nice job,
    for a pig thats pretty sexy!

though calling it game ready would be a stretch, unless this is the main character of your game, this creature shouldnt be over 1000 tris or so. And if it isnt an up close and important pig, perhaps down to 500 tris or so. either way with 512 maps.

Thanks shrew81! Well, you are definitely right about the higher than acceptable poly count, I am using this as a portfolio piece and so I gave it a little more resolution than would be appropriate.. I may still whittle away at some edge loops :)