Home General Discussion

Lynda.com vs Creative Edge

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
While not exclusively 3D(they do offer 3D training) based training, I've received the choice of getting a month free subscription to one of these, due to my purchase of CS5.

And I was hoping to gain some impressions from polycounters who've used either of the services, or even better both of them.

The pro's and cons, quality of the service etc.

While a month may not be very long, I intend to use the service to it's full during that month, and doing my bachelors allows to use the service for that entire month.

Looking forward to any insights you guys have.

Replies

• gavinfla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavinfla polycounter lvl 4
    I'm not sure if your still looking for insights on lynda.com or not, but i've used of free methods over the years and learned a lot of bits and pieces and some it stuck and others in one ear an out the other if you know what I mean. The thing with free is they don't tell you enough and your drive ends up being curiousity rather than learning. When you pay its a little more structured an you learn the process and the method behind it and hopefully the rest is your own creativety. Lynda.com has very good PS aurthor, Deke's the best and a master in my mind and Bert Monroy, there is a few others. These aurthors show everything and I think thats the best part. An you have the choice of starting as a beginer and moving up into the intermediate. The bandwidth is good, you can study anytime of the day or night, That's all the pro's that I can think of. For the cons, There's not inter action with the aurthor, you can ask questions or give them input but there no person interaction, there might be something that your not getting or can't seem to make it work, to me that's a problem.
    I'm using it to learn and do 3ds Max, Maya, I know the software and looking to learn all the tricks of modeling but the flow of the coures is not as intuative as I would like. It's all on youtube people will say, but it's not all together and you end up spendoing a lot of time searching. but good luck, lynda.com, 3dbuzz.com, CreativeLive.com are a few that I've found to be good and you can only go so far with them, they are just fuel for your mind, once the fuel gets through the carberator the engine runs, the engine is your mind or creative talent.