Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Steam powered submarine, Nordenfelt 1886

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Simmo polycounter lvl 12
Hey, after a short break from doing 3D I decided it's time I got to work on creating more content so I can finally get my portfolio online.

I wanted to do something old fashioned, old steam-age machines have always fascinated me and I wanted to do something different and somewhat unique :)

After some searching I came across Will Wardrop's page, this guy has some awesome physical models and steam-age creations on his page, and this sub caught my eye:

0qN5Q.jpg

This is the only decent picture I can find, none of the real sub or anything at all, so some of it is improvised. Anyway, the hi-poly:

jM6UO.jpg
wGvCU.jpg
lfa2w.jpg

This is as far as I am now, before I start on the lowpoly I wanted to post it here to get a bit of feedback and critique, any glaring errors or observations. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for looking :)

Replies

• Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    I totally dig this! Not over complicated but good detail to draw the eye in. Looks like it will bake down well as long as you commit enough polys to the cylindrical geometry. Good work!
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks!

I'm thinking I'll allow myself a fairly generous amount of tris for this. I'm planning to actually model in the support rib things that go along the main body of the sub. I'm not sure what a good tricount to aim for is, I want this as something that would be used in a FPS or sim where you see it up close.

I should mention that apparently there were two of these built, one sank immediately and no one wanted to get in the other to test it, so it just sat in dry dock till it was destroyed :P But it still looks cool!
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woah thats one smooth model!

great work man!