Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Help with space marine texures

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
dannedadon polycounter lvl 11
Hello polycount community! After a long lurking time I thought id join in. I started an earlier thread about a project me and a friend of mine were working on but since then we got an insane amount of schoolwork so its now on ice. I also got an internship at a company here in sweden so i dont know if our project will ever see the light of day.

Anyway. Im working on a character that was supposed to be for that project and im texturing right now. id like you suggestions on the color scheme. Im trying some different stuff out and ive narrowed my focus down to these three. But if you have other suggestions id love to hear them.

WHICH ONE DO YOU LIKE?

A lot of the texturing is still missing but im more concered about the base colors. All thoughts welcome =)

Replies

• achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as matching each piece of clothing, and having a consistent style / color scheme, I think number 1 is way out in front. But I would like to see some color. Maybe try some different colors in place of the white in number 1? And I mean, all the white.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I like 2 & 3
    maybe do some more on 2 continuing the theme of white as an accent color.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    drop little bits of accent color on 1 and your be golden. orange/yellow would be pretty choice.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Well, realistically speaking, what strikes me about all the color schemes is that the helmet has the black/white contrast that makes it stick out and therefore be a prime target in a firefight. It just screams "shoot here." That's my main issues with 1 and 3, and why I gravitate more towards 2, minus the bright white on the helmet.
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Honestly, I like the high contrast "shoot me here" colors. It may not be realistic, but the rest of his character is realistic enough in proportions to hold it up for me, and I'd rather see something with style than the constant dull modern military simulations, which this character isn't. Plus, as far as bad guys go, shoot me here cues are pretty good things in some cases. Look at HL2: all the humanoid bad guys had glowing eyes, and the elite troops had the biggest reddest target and highest contrast of all, which is part of how you knew they were bad-ass -- they didn't even make a cursory attempt at camouflage!
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    konstruct wrote: »
    drop little bits of accent color on 1 and your be golden. orange/yellow would be pretty choice.

I'm going to second this. I was thinking red, but orange/yellow, could definitely work. Just feel like some warm accents on #1 would make it feel real solid.
  • dannedadon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the responses everyone! Really appreciate it. I went ahead with nr 1 and im experimenting with some small additions of colors. The yellow/orange thing is happening. Ill update tomorrow when im back in school. Also made a shield based on a massive black concept which was very cool.
  • dannedadon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    new update folks! I went with nr 1 and just added a click of color to make it not look like a desaturated version of my marine :P Here he is some images with some extra gear. ALSO: a lot of texturing done. im probably going to spend 2 more days with him and texture. Also havent touched the specc yet so all the metal defintion is yet to come. =)
    thanks again for all the comments and id love to hear more as we go on this journey together.