Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Game Design Pimping: "Yonder"

Here's a little game I made in few hours, as per the suggestion of posters in my Crimson Haze thread. Made in gamemaker so windows only, unless you have bootcamp or wine voodoo.

http://www.filesavr.com/HKVRRCRHEMTU773

The normal executable is 900x900 and the small one is 600x600 resolution.

Controls:

Space: Thruster
Left/Right: Turn
Up: Regen fuel slowly when not thrusting (useful when landing on a block that doesn't refuel.)
V: Fire volley of bullets (kills monsters and slows down enemy bullets)
B: Enemy bullet resistant barrier (barrier that lasts for 2 seconds and makes enemy bullets bounce back at them, you can fire through it)
Esc: Quit the game at any time.

Hints:

Enemies take one hit to kill with your bullet, 2 with their own.
Grey bounce blocks can be used to propel yourself without fuel.
Thrusting from the ground makes you go faster, and is thus more efficient than starting a thrust in mid air.
It is best to use barriers to deflect enemy bullets, but your bullets can slow theirs down.
Put your ring finger on V middle on B and pointer on Space.

Lots of bugs still, play for fun, not to break it. The only real game breaking bug should be leaving the room on the far left or right, so don't lol. Graphics are by me and are temporary, music is from the game Tyrian.

Features to be added:
  • Lunar Lander type physics with the thruster.
  • Slippery Mario type collisions on blocks.
  • Slower difficulty ramp up.

Feel free to critique gameplay, or if you find game breaking bugs I didn't list. Also, I have beaten every level as they are in this version, so don't say its impossible. But tell me if you think its too hard :P .

Screenshot:

k2Gmt.png

Replies

• conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    need realistic graphics
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    and blood, please, add some blood splatters everywhere
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    Why can I fall through the purple blocks with the cracks in, yet all the rest are solid, also the thruster doesn't function intuitively. If i use the thruster i want to go up, or the direction i'm going in, I don't want to stop mid air with my thruster going full blast.

Also if passing next to a block, I may get "stuck" and just sit there with my thruster going full blast, and not going anywhere, and if trying to move to the side when stuck, the ship will move horizontally as opposed to the expected diagonal.

Then the shield appears to far away from the ship, saying the bullet can go through the shield doesn't help much as the shield is so far up, the bullet disappears just beyond it. (900x900 version)

At the moment, gameplay wise it's not very enjoyable, largely I feel due to the way the ship handles, and there isn't much in the way of fine handling when flying the ship.

Heading the right direction compared to a massive project, just pay attention to finer aspects and add some polish.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @KaptainKernals

Cracked box are fake, I wanted them to look a lot like normal blocks but different enough you can tell.

Yeah I want to add some physics'y stuff.

Working on the collisions and getting-stuck stuff, fortunately you can't get stuck for good, did you ever get stuck where you couldn't get unstuck?

I like the shield where it is, it adds a good amount of difficulty, if it was right next to your ship, or curved, it would block too much and you could just spam it while firing your weapon, the distance of the shield is on purpose as is the short weapon range.

Well, it kept you playing to the 4th level so I would mark that as somewhat enjoyable even if you don't realize it he he. I agree that it definitely needs some fine tuning with physics and collisions though. Thanks for your input.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    Actually i never got past the first level (unless the level system works in a different manner than i'm used to?), as for the cracked blocks, it didn't make sense as i landed on a cracked grey block and bounced up into those spinning things and died.

If you want the block to be "fake" communicate it in a different manner than having them cracked, cracked says they're damaged, and my fall apart over time if you land on them, not that they are fake and not really there - rather make them semi transparent, or changing between solid and transparent.

In regards to getting stuck, it just stops vertical movement - up and down when i tried. I could get unstuck, but it would make me go sideways, then fight with it to make it go up.