Home General Discussion

Steam Rant

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
odium polycounter lvl 18
First of all I've never had a problem with Steam... Its always been one of those things that some people have had issues with but I haven't. Same with GFWL, some people wont even buy the game if it supports it, even if its a GOTY contender...

Anyway...

Steam for me this week, sucks... For one simple reason. They don't want all my money. Which is odd! I'm trying to buy Medal Of Honor, Fallout New Vegas, the L4D1+2 bundle for a friend, and COD: Black Ops (Which oddly isnt even on the steam store atm so I'll leave that off).

But of course, I cant... Because my card is now declined. Why, you may ask...? Well good question. I have no idea. My bank has no idea, either. Even my cashpoint, which is letting me take far, far too much money out than I should be due to spending like a child in a candy store, is letting me take cash out... Yet Steam, for some reason, after like 6 years of use and thousands spent, suddenly decided my money isn't good enough.

And so, I have to jump through all the hoops... Re-enter card details, purchase one item at a time, change the time of day, delete client .blob file... Blah, no dice, at all...

My support ticket was sent off days ago and yet... No reply. Nothing. Yet my casual ticket I asked the other week about why DR2 was out in retail and not on Steam was answered in less than one hour... Yet this one, nothing...

And so, I'm an unhappy panda... With money to burn, but nobody to burn it... The only plus side is that none of the games aside from L4D are out yet, but I'll be mighty pissed if my mate has to spend £40 after the L4D sale ends rather than the £8 BOTH of them are going for together...

*end rant*

Anybody else ever have this trouble with Steam? A quick google search has pulled up quite a few people that have had some odd troubles with cards being declined and so far the only solution* was to start another account with steam up and buy on that...

*Thats not a solution.

UPDATE: I've just been able to purchase L4D1+2 bundle, but not MOH or Fallout New Vegas... Meh... Defo not my card then but a Steam error...

Replies

• Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I had this problem a year or two ago, on two different cards. Bank and credit card companies said it didn't even come through on their end, they weren't declining anything. And then apparently Steam wound up putting a block on my card.

I wound up just doing what you did, sent in a ticket. Got back to me after about a week. My recommendation to you if you don't get an answer soon is to send in another one with a little more force behind it. Only when someone winds up being persistant does shit wind up happening (trust me, I work in tech). Granted, multiple emails can sometimes clutter up the ticket and make things hard to organize but I'd do the same if I was a customer.

They eventually wound up unblocking the card, or whatever the hell went wrong, and I could use it again.

But to be honest I found it so annoying I said fuck it and now use PayPal exclusively.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I dont buy online unless they offer PayPal. The less people with your CC info, the better.
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Use another account and buy as a gift?
    Or as above, pay through paypal
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Two Listen wrote: »
    But to be honest I found it so annoying I said fuck it and now use PayPal exclusively.

Starting to feel that way now... Bit of a shame too because I've NEVER had any issues online before with regards to money, and lets face it, its pretty damn scary having any issues... My bank said the same thing, Steam/nobody has even touched my account other than me at a cashpoint, theres no records of them even trying...

I saw the same thing online, a lot of people getting blocks put on their cards for zero reason, or for what steam say is "fishy activity". Yeah, my definition of "fishy" is a card that spends £10 a pop every week and then buys a fishing boat out of the blue... How dare I buy games on a service that, you know, sells GAMES...
    Pogo wrote: »
    Use another account and buy as a gift?
    Or as above, pay through paypal

All hoops though innit? Hoops I shouldn't have to be jumping through :( I mean, those 4 games are what, £100's worth of stuff, and I'm being made to for the chance to give THEM money... They need to sort out the Customer Support, pronto, as its just no good.

Like I said before, thanfully, I can wait this out a bit with no real loss as none of the games are out yet, earliest is what, 15th October? But I wanted these games paid for, done and dusted, so I could forget them :(
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum wrote: »
    I dont buy online unless they offer PayPal. The less people with your CC info, the better.
    I lol'd
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Utterly, utterly useless... They just emailed me back with a totally pointless "hey i never read the original message so heres a copy paste job!" reply... Heres a copy paste of the entire "event" so far, I'm pretty sure I made it clear its not an issue with me or the card:

Hey,

I'm trying to purchase Medal of Honor and Fallout New Vegas this morning, but for some reason it wont allow me to...? I'm getting a "purchase was declined" email instead. Which is odd, because I was not only paid the other day, but to check I've already looked into my account and yup, sure enough, I can buy 10x the number of items I'm trying to purchase here...

So, is there an error with Steam or something? This is really odd.

Thanks

Gavin Stevens

(additonal update to original message)

Just as some additional info, I went in to check after work and sure enough, everything is fine, I could, if I wanted too, take out way more than needed to buy these items, and indeed have done already with some clothes. I was going to pre-purchase COD: Black Ops as well but you still haven't even got a Steam listing for it, which is very odd... But regardless, I want to purchase these two asap so I can forget having to buy them later on.

I tried again when I got home and I got the same error message from Steam, card declined... Its actually got me quite worried now.

Thanks guys.

(additional update to original message)

Another update to this issue, I tried to purchase L4D1+2 bundle this morning for a friend who doesn't have it... No dice. Even £8 won't work. Yet AFTER steam telling me my card was declined, I took out £50 from the bank cashpoint... So that was clearly wrong, again.

I still have way more than enough to buy my games, so this problem still needs to be fixed. As I said previously, I even spoke to my bank (Because I could speak to somebody face to face right away, rather than wait days for an email) and nope, not a single issue on my cards end...

The steam sale ends soon, and I wont be able to get L4D1+2 bundle at that price for my friend if this takes too long?

(additonal update to original message)

Final update... After deleting my client.blob file I was able to purchase L4D1+2 for my friend, but I'm still not able to pre-purchase MOH/Fallout... So no idea whats going on your end...?

Steam reply

Hello Gavin,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

Our records indicate that your purchase was declined by your bank. You will need to check with them to ensure that you have sufficient funds and that they do not have a lock on your account.

Your bank may also have online purchasing restrictions in place on your credit card. We suggest that you verify your online purchasing options with your bank to ensure Steampowered Games is added to your list of trusted online merchants.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

(My reply)

As I said, I've already contacted my bank, and have even managed to purchase Left 4 Dead 1+2 double pack today, after countless "declined" errors... I just had to keep trying for hours. The reply you just sent me was a standard reply. I'm trying to figure out why Steam wont let me purchase games when I have well over £2000 in that account available to purchase them. I've made a lot of purchases before, ONE OF WHICH TODAY, and theres no reason why I should be getting any card declined errors.

I would love it if you could send me a HUMAN reply, not a copy paste without reading any of the info I sent you in the first place. (such as me checking already with the bank, or being able to purchase a title after trying for ages even though before it said declined).

I'm breaking up from my job as a teacher on the 25th, and if I can't play Fallout for that week I'll be a tad disapointed lol!

Gavin Stevens
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    So have Paypal cleaned up their act? I've heard stories of Paypal locking accounts, holding thousands of dollars hostage because they think something smells fishy.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    I'd quit using such conversational english in your letters. be as short and concise as possible. your tickets so far have been a bit vague and casual.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I never knew I was writing an essay and handing it in for a grade in life to get a job, sorry I'll fix that next time. How stupid of me to think that explaining an error, giving the error message, explaining what I know, explaining what I've tried, and asking for help would never get me what I want.

Next time I'll be sure to send along a dxdiag file as well, also my passport and a photocopy of my foot... That may help more.

P.S. High horse > Jump down. I'm not about to take advice in English from a person who can't even get basic grammar and caps correct.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Despite your needlessly sarcastic reply, Fletch is right. Do you honestly think that Steam's customer service department give a shit that you've bought some clothes recently, or that you'll be 'a tad disappointed lol' if you can't play Fallout by the 25th? Or that you'd 'love it' if they'd change their form-replies just for you?

A more stern, formal email to them would have been more appropriate, especially since you've saved most of your pissing and whining for us.

Seems like the majority of your posts are either rants or complaints.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    It seems that every time you post something it's just bitching and whining. Just an observation. I am probably going to end it at that.

EDIT: Edited my sentence so you actually take some advice from it. Also did not know the grammar police was here.

grammarpolice.jpg
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    "As I said, I've already contacted my bank"
    actually you didn't, you said you got paid and you had money in the bank, I used to work in customer support and I was lied to all the time. They talked to their bank and asked why transaction #234234 didn't go through, the get the response back that the customers bank denied the charges.

Xbox Live did the same to me for a few days, didn't really bother me enough to call support.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i constantly have this with Steam, and resurrected my Paypal account to dodge it. For me, its because i don't officially live in a county ... york is just york, you leave the city, and a sign says 'welcome to North Yorkshire'. This is reflected on my bank statement, as most official things are here. But steam won't let you not enter a county, and any attempts to add something else to the box (such as 'n/a', 'north yorkshire', and these days a '-') result in a decline cos the security check on the address fails. I wonder if people in Bristol have the same issue

anyway, could be something as simple as that. HAve you checked that the address you're entering exactly matches that on your bank statement?
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Address is exactly the same, I live in Shropshire, but not that it would matter I buy Steam games all the time, even one on the day this was happening.
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    I had something like this happen to me when Torchlight was on sale.

I ended up buying through their website using IE instead of firefox or the steam app. Worked perfectly the first time, don't know if that would help you out or not.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I tried to login to my steam account there two days ago because of that monkey island pack being a fiver. I haven't logged in in ages as my laptop died. But I found I couldn't. I thought it was weird, so I sent two of those password retrieval addresses to the email I registered with, but it never arrived. I know this is definitely the account I registered with, as I have purchase confirmations still in my inbox. Has my account been jacked? I bought a hard-copy of L4D2 so I have a product code from the box, can I use that to retrieve my account? I think I saw an option like that.

I wouldn't be best pleased if someone stole my account >:( Thankfully my credit card is maxed out :P
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Anyone know? I'd rather know before I enter my product code and get that nicked too :P
  • Noors