Home General Discussion

originality, paintovers et al.

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
A friend of mine who enjoys digital painting recently produced incredible works of almost photoreal quality. He really does draw well, so although I was surprised at his leap in skill, I didn't suspect anything. Not until someone else let me know in secret that he'd been painting over stuff. And that stinks of cheating/stealing to me.

Years ago, I used to think that using reference was cheating. Obviously, it's common practice, and even something that should be encouraged, a vital part of workflow, and today I'm constantly Googling reference.

It seems that if you made a Frankenstein of photographs or models, and then painted or modelled new strokes or topology around them, it'd be difficult - if not impossible - to catch.

What do you think of paintovers? Or building models around existing models? Is it okay, as long as you're not lying about it? Or is it outright fail? Is this some industry best practice that I've never heard of?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It depends.

Some concept artists make a basic scene in 3D, then do an extensive paintover, and that's totally cool. 3D is a great tool for quickly working out perspective. There's also nothing wrong with painting over a fully-developed 3D piece, as long as it's yours, or it's owned by the client and needs re-working.

Some artists do paintovers on photos, combining them into a larger painted piece. This is generally not a good idea. It can cause legal problems for the artist and their client, unless photo copyrights are secured beforehand. And the results generally look bad because the styles don't jive with each other, unless it's completely painted over.

In general, using reference is good, but tracing is not.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't see any problem with re-using anything that's legally available for you to use in your artwork. Smart re-use of textures and models can be a huge time saver in a production environment.

I've met a few very highly regarded professional concept artists in person and seen how they work, you'd be surprised by how they get from new file to finished digital painting.

The only time problems arise is when someone takes work made by someone else (usually without permission) and claims it as their own.

Unfortunately, I've had the displeasure of seeing people sneak into the industry by ripping models/textures from well known games and frankensteining things together to call their own work. With this method they usually ended up with derivative garbage during production. When called upon to make original artwork that couldn't be frankensteined, said people were hard pressed to make anything worth using. Suffice to say these types of people don't last too long in the industry before they are found out.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Professionally its reffered to as matte painting ;). (well for enviros anyway)

Imo, for illustration in your portfolio it isnt so much a good idea, but in production it is perfectly fine. Simply as speed is super important.

But when your practicing its still best to do stuff from scratch.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Elyaradine wrote: »
    What do you think of paintovers? Or building models around existing models?

I'm "half-half" on this. I don't have a problem when Massive Black or Steambot Studio concept guys use 3d as a paintover base. But it annoys me when I see someone who I suspect uses Daz 3d/Poser as a base and successfuly land 2d mag commission, Ballistic/cgtalk promotion, etc. (my suspicion is based on the fact that the femme illos are polished but the male char ones by the same artist have shoddy anatomy, lighting, weaker design and rendering).

Using Daz/Poser is still legit even if the user doesnt admit to it. I just find it personally annoying. If they modeled their own base fine, right? It's ironic because I acknowledge that art assets in a production pipeline usually have more than one artist involved in the creation. Not sure why using Poser as a tool by others doesn't jive with me.
  • Dreamexpress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you cant combine two photos without interfering with each others perspective so you cant make much more concept work other then character paint overs

and with modelling over anothers one model, you will not get any work with that either.

however if you want to make a "youtube speedpainting video" with 1 million views, yes, you can do that. Infact, the average person doesnt seem to care wether its a photo copy or not.

What matters the most? up to the person to decide
  • Elyaradine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks so much for all your insight.

I've seen 3D paintovers done before, but they've generally been paintovers of primitive geometry with some posed stock biped rigs for perspective and proportion, things they clearly made themselves. I think that's a great timesaver.

It's more that my friend seemed to have Googled a lowish-res image, screen-grabbed/copied it, scaled it up, blurred it a bit to hide the artifacting, and then used that image as the pose for his final painting and painted over that. It was still a lot of work, and in the end, the "original" wasn't there any more except that the values and pose were virtually identical - in effect, what Eric said: "tracing".

Sounds dubious to me, but it certainly saves time.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    We used to do it all the time at the concept studio I worked at. We had a lawyer in-house to ok the images (odd yeah), but when your focus is the execution of the idea and not the rendering, it's definitely a valid technique, especially with the volume of projects we had. You still need a good eye to tie the elements together in the end, ask an artist with a untrained eye to comp together some photos or work from a lit 3D blockout and chances are he'll mess it up.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I rather like this dvd by Dylan Cole on matte painting.

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/59/The-Techniques-of-Dylan-Cole-3

The end result is a bit photochoppy in areas, but it really shows how you can combine painting and photos in unique ways.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well there is no cheating in art, there is just solutions that fit your requirements.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Ruz, I like to do 3D paintovers myself when I have the chance, they save me lots of time in perspective, its all about solving a problem, what do you need that for?.

If you need to block out a scene, a machine or whatever, mostly hard surface I can speak of as I haven't done too much character work yet. I say go for it, thats my opinion, also I agree with snowfly....not because you put together some photos, some 3D blocking and you try to paint over means that everything is gonna hold together harmonically, in fact I think it takes lots of skill to accomplish this in an outstanding manner. and match lights, color palette, shadows, textures and so on... in a way that you won't notice any obvious flaw and see the end composition itself holding together nicely.

Now I am not saying you don't need to know how to do everything by hand, I encourage you to do so, and to draw a lot... that way you ll have a better understanding of the principles and if you choose to use any of the above mentioned techniques, you'll become faster at choosing your approach to a specific piece and gain some time by doing it.

I am also big fan of dylan's work slum, awesome stuff, take a look at Andree Wallin folio, dude is insane like his style a lot, he does paint a lot and also uses some of the other techniques said before.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    It kind of depends... what's the artist's intent? Are they claiming they did it from scratch? Would they be able to do amazing work on their own, but are simply using the resources available to them to save time?

Where I work (ArenaNet) some, not all, of our concept artists use photos to block out their scenes or to come up with interesting ideas before painting over it all. It is sometimes obvious, and sometimes so different from the source material that you'd hardly recognize it. Whatever gets the message across clearly and quickly is game.

Usually it's not a problem if the artist is honest about what they're doing, but it can be a real fine line sometimes. I can see how some people might see it as "cheating," but artists have been using techniques to help their work for centuries going back to the days of using mirrors and things like that.

However, I have seen many examples of people who insist they used no photos when they obviously did, and others who basically steal other peoples ideas and compositions without much effort to make it their own expression... this is very bad! For better or worse, the digital age has given everyone the ability to (re)produce imagery, and there may be a time when our thinking of what is correct or not will be completely different from what it is today or what it was 500 years ago.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    http://www.gnomonschool.com/master/matte-painting.html?KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=450&width=640

Is another concept artist who use photo ref in his digital paintings.

Having watched his videos though, he gets basic form, composition, and concept through pencil sketches, and then uses photo's for colour palette, as well as cutting up photo's for details and painting over them.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As everyones already said it's an industry accepted technique. Studios pay for your time, the more high quality concepts you can produce in shorter lengths of time is always for the better. (*provided it doesn't raise legal issues)

Whether or not you can really call it "cheating" really depends on the artist in my opinion.. If you watch some of Dylan Cole's other dvds where he actually paints entire scenes from scratch you can see he has the ability to do convincing matte paintings from imagination.

I think when you have the ability to get an at least similar quality result working from scratch as with hacking together photos and doing paintovers, it becomes much harder to argue that you're misrepresenting your abilities as an artist.

Edit: Also I don't include tracing in this, cause you aren't saving shit for time with that unless you have zero figure drawing skills.
  • Saiainoshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saiainoshi polycounter lvl 9
    Matte painting anyone? Just sayin.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz wrote: »
    well there is no cheating in art, there is just solutions that fit your requirements.
    But art IS cheating! I had a similar conversation earlier in the week, actually. We as people tend to use the newest tools and techniques available to us, and many have an acceptable level of purism that a line may be drawn at.

I think we can all agree that outright plagiarism is a no-no, and paintovers can sometimes cross into that, depending on the intent, as discussed already.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    If you think painting over photos is cheating then you are probably not a very good artist because that kind of attitude holds you back.

Legally you only have to change enough of the image to make it significantly different than the original, so that is not really an issue.
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    Nonono.. that whole you only need to change 15% (or any set amount) to make it yours is not true.. you're likely thinking of derivative works, and you need permission from the original copyright holder to do that. There are certain exceptions but thinking you can take someone elses photo, change it and claim it as yours can get you in trouble.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Legally you only have to change enough of the image to make it significantly different than the original, so that is not really an issue.
    Copyright myths live on.
    If I modify a copyrighted work, I create a new work in which I hold the copyrights.

Sorry, but no. 17 U.S.C. § 106. Only the owner of copyright in a work has the right to prepare, or to authorize someone else to create a new version of that work. You cannot claim copyright to another's work, no matter how much you change it, unless you have the owner's consent. Derivative works may be copyrighted, but only the owner of the copyright or someone with the owner's consent can create a derivative work. 17 U.S.C. § 103; see Circular 14.

Source: http://www.keytlaw.com/Copyrights/top10myths.htm#modify

Even if you were to assume that your copyright infringement is "small enough" to be legally defensible, that's a matter for a court to decide. No studio is going to let you open them up to legal action under the pretense that they *might* be able to win a case if they have to fight one.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    In production, I'm all for it. From an environment artist's perspective, its all about figuring out a scene before you spend the expensive art time on it, so it is only used as a conceptualizing tool anyway. It's an awesome time saver.

For a portfolio, not so much.

I remember seeing someone's portfolio a while back, and they had a couple digital paintings of spot on portraits of celebrities. I was like holy shit, this guy is awesome. The I clicked on the image, and it showed the exact photograph that he had painted over, down to the smallest detail. I felt misled, and pretty much felt that a couple photoshop filters blended together could have gotten a similar result. I'm sure it is valuable for learning to paint color, but I'd never want to see something like that in a portfolio.
  • sheckee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sheckee polycounter lvl 9
    I personally grab my own character models in maya and pose them up quickly, and use these for the basis of my poses for character designing. I do this when it's a pose I don't understand, or can't find specific reference for. At times I will even directly draw over my model in order to understand the form. It's all about learning. By doing this I understand the forms faster, and begin to be able to draw those forms very quickly without reference.

Same with perspective stuff, I'll use basic primitives in Maya, print screen or render them out into PS and use those as a base.

I see nothing wrong with doing things in this manner. It's my own creations, it saves me a lot of time and it helps me learn faster.

Taking someone elses work and tracing/using it for your own is a bit dubious though. I think everyone has their own working habits, you just have to find methods that work better for you.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    rube wrote: »
    Nonono.. that whole you only need to change 15% (or any set amount) to make it yours is not true.. you're likely thinking of derivative works, and you need permission from the original copyright holder to do that. There are certain exceptions but thinking you can take someone elses photo, change it and claim it as yours can get you in trouble.

Ah, my mistake. After doing some research, I guess there are a few different factors you have to consider for fair use, and how much you change the image is only one of them.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    If you're doing it for production work, to portray a simple idea and get a point across - sure I don't see the explicit harm in it. What needs done needs done.

If you're tracing/painting over a photograph and then explicitly calling it a "painting"...is it wrong? Oh I don't really know. I think it makes you a bit of an asshole, though.

I can see the benefit in whipping up a quick model to use as reference for a pose, or using sketch up or something to get your perspectives for an environment, sure. Legit stuff, you did it. Not hardly putting more than lines down.

But painting right over a photo? Paintings are built up, every brushstroke, every pixel of color however it got there is part of the image. Painting over a photo gives you a A LOT of stuff on the canvas that you didn't put there. Sure it's still art...but I do think it makes you an asshole depending on what you're claiming thereafter.
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    For the purpose of concept work under strict deadlines, I think it's fine, mostly because it's just for the idea, not the final visual piece. If its for the final painting presented as art, Ive never respected the use of photo paintovers, especially when the artist is garnering respect and admiration for it. Its blah. It's visual plagiarism.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    as most here says, draw from reference, don't trace. its very important to get a good feeling for proportions.