Home General Discussion

OnLive is live...but is it any good?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Slum polycounter lvl 18
OnLive has finally been tested, is currently open to everyone. They are running free trials, and recently cut the subscription plan. Has anyone given it a go yet?

Replies

• MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    I downloaded and installed...and found out my internet connection isn't fast enough =(

I wish they had a speed test on their site before having to DL and install anything.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I tried it out tonight, playing Arkham Asylum and Mafia II. The lag was negligible to me for those kinds of games. They have Unreal3 but I didn't try that. So twitch shooters might have more issues.

Graphically, they are rendering everything pretty much maxed out. You can see their servers struggle a bit sometimes, so it's not the butter-esque gameplay they promised. I also noticed considerable compression artifacting in a few scenes, but was pretty good overall. I have a 25mbps connection as well.

If your PC can handle the game, buy it normally, somewhere else. If you have a low end machine or are looking to play games on a laptop or other portable device - this is 100% for you.

A lot of the other features are enjoyable, though. The hot-clips and spectating functionality is really quite awesome.