Home Technical Talk

zbrush auv displacement map problem

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
theStoff greentooth
Hello,

I was recently trying to practice with the uv mapping tools in zbrush. I had a zbrush model (top image) and was trying to add geometry to this. I learned that I should first create a displaement map using AUV, then export the lowest geometry level model, bring it into maya, add the geometry and bring it back into zbrush. Once i finished adding my geometry I brought it make into zbrush and applied the displacement map but the result is a very sliced up model (bottom image). Could anyone tell me why this is?

img2.jpg

img1.jpg

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    AUV is pretty much going to make every face it's own UV island (probably why the topology becomes so visible on the last pic). Did you change the UVs any in Maya (and do anything for the UVs of the new faces you've added)? Did the displacement texture need to be flipped like other textures imported into zbrush?

Couldn't you just use GoZ to make the changes, or bring in the new mesh and project the details onto it from the old mesh?
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Yes I did change the UVs in maya but not on the part of the model I am showing. I did not need to flip the displacement map because it was both used and generated within zbrush. As for using other methods, I did not know of any. What is GoZ? Also, is there any way around having AUV make every face it's own UV island?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I think that's just how AUVs work. If you wanted something different you could try PUVs or GUVs, or just use UV Master.
    What is GoZ?
    http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/features/GoZBrush/

"With a single click of a button, GoZ will transfer your mesh to a GoZ-enabled application of your choice and instantly set up all the appropriate shading networks for you. Upon sending your mesh back to ZBrush, GoZ will automatically remap the existing high-resolution details to the incoming mesh, even if you’ve significantly changed the topology in your other application! GoZ will take care of simple operations such as correcting points & polygons order, as well as more advanced operations that require complete remapping. The updated mesh is immediately ready for further detailing, map creation and transferring to any other GoZ-enabled application.

GoZ is based on core features of ZBrush. This means that you can even use the ZBrush portion of GoZ’s features in non-supported applications. You can import an OBJ file which includes topology changes and ZBrush will automatically updating your current sculpture without losing details".

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8jeMB9lIA8&feature=related[/ame]
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    I tried PUVs and GUVs with the same result, as for UV master I still don't know how to use that. Also, thanks for the link and information about GoZ although I unfortunately can't use it because I don't have Zbrush 4