Home Technical Talk

Gamepad suggestions

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Japhir polycounter lvl 16
Hey everybody!
Just bought some games that would probably be better when played with a gamepad. (new Lara Croft game and some others)

So I have absolutely no idea what a good (cheap) gamepad is like. Are there significant differences in quality? How many buttons are necessary/nice to work with etc.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Replies

• glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I got myself a XBox 360 wired pad, specifically for racing games.

Works great for any other games that need a pad, too.
  • NathanA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've had a Logitech Dual Action VV713 for a long time now. I originally bought it because its pretty much a PlayStation controller but more comfortable (in my opinion). I just got the Lara Croft game as well and I'm stoked that I can play 2 player on this with my wife on the same computer. She uses the gamepad and I use the mouse/keyboard.

Back on track though if you like the 360 controller I would say go with that like glynnsmith recommended. Never know when an extra console controller will come in handy (LANs, easier resale value, etc, etc).
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    I've got a 360 wired controller as well. Seems to be very widely supported, and works great. I wouldn't recommend the wireless controller for PC. It no longer works for me since upgrading to windows 7 from xp! The irony...
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    If you already have a 360, then just buy the wireless receiver. Works with up to 4 controllers/headsets.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Windows-Pc/dp/B000HZFCT2[/ame]
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    A lot of games, especially titles ported from consoles or ones that use Games for Windows Live, will only support the 360 gamepad so that's the best option.

There's a program which can make other gamepads to 'simulate' the 360 (I'm using it to play Darksiders right now) but you might as well just cut out the hassle and get a 360 pad to begin with.
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    I also like the XBOX controller. I've actually got an old XBOX-S controller from the first XBOX, which I've modified for computer use. All you need to do is hack up a USB cable and an XBOX break-away cable; there are numous tutorials online. If you have an old XBOX controller laying around that you dont use anymore, it makes a pretty cheap solution! Oh yeah you also need to go find the XBCD drivers for it to work.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    im using a xbox360 controller with psx analog sticks (harvested from old malfunctioning dualshock) except for the digital pad its the best controller out there
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks a lot guys, seems like a unified answer! :). I've just ordered one.