Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – David Hagemann, new content and new design

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Davision3D polycounter
Finally got my new website with lots of (semi) new content up and running:
http://www.vitamin3d.com/
Hope you like the content and the navigation works good for you. :)

P.S. Im currently looking for a freelance job

Replies

• UNCCheezy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UNCCheezy polycounter lvl 10
    Looking much better. One thing though...Why is it so wide? It's gota be like 2000 px wide...Also why is the white container box so long?
  • grimmrobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grimmrobe polycounter lvl 9
    You've got a rouge <TD> which is causing the width problem. You'd be better off using the image as a background on the <body>.

Also I see you've used imageready to slice your site up. You could definitely improve the the performance of your site with a drop more CSS and by ditching the table based layout.

If you need any help with that you can send me a message or something.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    UNCCheezy wrote: »
    Looking much better. One thing though...Why is it so wide? It's gota be like 2000 px wide...Also why is the white container box so long?
    Because the screen is then filled with the background for every screen size, didnt know how to do it more elgant. Container box has space for more artwork coming in the future. ;)
    grimmrobe wrote: »
    You've got a rouge <TD> which is causing the width problem. You'd be better off using the image as a background on the <body>.

Also I see you've used imageready to slice your site up. You could definitely improve the the performance of your site with a drop more CSS and by ditching the table based layout.

If you need any help with that you can send me a message or something.
    you mean i should just make the whole design 1 background image? I currently have the outer parts tiled, its 4 different tiled images. Dont know much about css and i think i better leave it as just a table, the most part of that table layout is generated by photoshops export for web thing.
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    you got some good stuff there, but like I said before some things just do not belong.

Here's the issue with putting up good work mixed in with so-so. It makes it seem like you can't properly judge what is good and what isn't. This leads to the problem of a client thinking you're going to maybe be hit or miss on models which they don't want.
  • grimmrobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grimmrobe polycounter lvl 9
    Sorry, no not the whole design. I should be more clear.

Just for your background stuff, i.e. the liquid type thing in the top left and the squared pattern and the diagonal lines could be one background image applied to the body tag, then it would fill the screen without forcing scrollbars as happens now because it is trying to accommodate your wide table element.

Your content block and your nav and your header, could then be separate elements or if it's easier in a single table on top.

If that makes any more sense...

But you'd have to do some mark up by hand and so on rather than using the stuff that photoshop generates.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    you got some good stuff there, but like I said before some things just do not belong.

Here's the issue with putting up good work mixed in with so-so. It makes it seem like you can't properly judge what is good and what isn't. This leads to the problem of a client thinking you're going to maybe be hit or miss on models which they don't want.
    well i got rid of quite a lot of older stuff and theres no sculptures gallery at all anymore. For me its hard to judge my own work, there is much more connected for me to it then a viewer can see. I think a problem is then also that my past work was really varied in specs, styles etc. and clients often like to hire people that are only good in that one specific thing that they need.
    grimmrobe wrote: »
    Sorry, no not the whole design. I should be more clear.

Just for your background stuff, i.e. the liquid type thing in the top left and the squared pattern and the diagonal lines could be one background image applied to the body tag, then it would fill the screen without forcing scrollbars as happens now because it is trying to accommodate your wide table element.

Your content block and your nav and your header, could then be separate elements or if it's easier in a single table on top.

If that makes any more sense...

But you'd have to do some mark up by hand and so on rather than using the stuff that photoshop generates.
    yea i think thats quite a lot of hassle for me to change it like that. Dont think the scrollbars are really a problem, should be easy to see that there is no need to scroll it.