Home› Technical Talk

Cloth folds/wrinkles for games.

I've always had problems with painting cloth folds for game characters so I would need some help from you guys. The problem is simply that I can't make it look right.

I've checked out some tutorials about the subject but I feel that most of them just goes "just look at some reference then paint it. Done!" That doesn't really do it for me...

I've been working on this sculpt lately. Do you have any techniques that works well for painting/sculpt folds for game characters? Folds that look realistic and still works well for animation.

So I wonder what approach you would do for this kind of clothing.

muppwip2.jpg

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well, did you look at some reference and then painted it ? Its not exactly bad advice ...
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some things to try here.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CharacterSculpting

But basically yeah, reference is key! I bet you didn't draw those legs from scratch without developing a visual understanding of the form first. Same is true for cloth.
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    corv Awesome art you got there (and your folio) a lot of style !

Ya you definitely want a good workflow for folds, a common mistake I can pick straight from your wip is you messed around with the folds for too long - which created inconsistencies.

You want to first create the form of the cloth, keep the poly spread somewhat even.
    Only then start with the folds, and be sure you're fairly confident on how they will be made. (hell you can even make roughs of the flow, then undo/revert before the flow) - the idea here is that you want them fairly smooth.
    I use lazy brush for 99% of the folds, (be careful zb4.0 changed lazybrush settings, I changed it back to the way it was) - I often start by sub stroke and then add the fold above it, make nice smooth cuts.

I have a few more brushes I use, flatten which I can apply to the top edge of the fold to simulate gravity, and a wrinkle brush I made which is basically pinched brush that helps the appearance of leather folds, etc ...

As for refs, I suggest saving every pic you like with folds in it to a folder, then when you get to the folds sculpting stage you can just skim through the folder and see which folds flow you like.

Anyway sorry for all the text, hope you get something out of it - the key like anything else is practice + refs, and you slowly get the dingo like anything else.
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    In all honesty, what I've been doing recently is just using a sim for the base mesh of the cloth (then adding a solidify modifier in Blender, or a shell modifier in Max). This can be fairly coarse. From there I subdivide and get in the details, but it's much easier with the weight and basic forms already established. The key to doing it this way is not being too finicky about the simulation, because it can easily lead to nitpicky fine tuning that offsets the time saved. Really, it still comes down to the sculpt.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    You can use Dam_std, pinch and the planer and trim brushes along with clay brushes to make cloth however you like. The trick is to avoid blobbiness and get some believable and readable forms for the type of material you are sculpting.

Your folds aren't completely wacky on that model, but the thickness of their ridges suggests a thick and smooth material, like rubber or something. What material is it supposed to be? Do some studies quickly on a few simple planes or shells from max to get a feel for what you need to do to make the cloth features that you're after.

Good luck!
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
  • Carl Brannstrom
    Thanks for all the advices!

I've been trying out diffirent approaches the whole evening. I realised that the main areas where the folds starts usually start off good but gets messed up when I try to connect them to eatch other. Which often results with it's either too messy, too plain or doesn't read as the material that I intended.
    I suppose that comes with practice.

@Chai
    Lazymouse and flatten brush worked really well for making the folds! I also discovered that the move brush is really useful to make less "perfect" folds.
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    Cool corv - no worries, glad to hear it's starting to work out for you !