Home Technical Talk

Amplify Brush in Zbrush?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
BradMyers82 interpolator
I'm sure you Mudbox users know what I'm looking for here. The Amplify brush in Mudbox is a great brush for making surface details pop out more. It makes recessed areas more recessed and peaks more further pronounced. Thus exaggerating surface details.

Is there an equivalent to the Amplify brush from Mudbox, in Zbrush? It would definitely come in handy. We use zbrush at work and I have been looking for something like this for a while now.

Replies

• sebi3110
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also want to know that :)
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Cavity automasking would have gotten you something similar, but I think it's bugged in Z4 at the moment. You can workaround by using tool>masking>mask by cavity to mask off the recesses. Invert it for the opposite effect. There's a few brush settings that'll do something similar too, under brush>depth.
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    you used to be able to do that to a crappy effect by using alt with smooth, it was only useful for really fine details but I dont think it works with 4 now.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Thanks a lot for the advice guys!

CheeseOnToast: I do indeed use the cavity masking in zbrush, but it didn't occur to me to use it this way (I use it mainly for polypainting). Actually for me in zb 4 I haven't run into any problems with using cavity masking. It didn't work too great untill I played with the curve though. Did you try that?
    Thanks!

Unleashed: I'll try that out first thing tom. at work thanks dude! :)
  • Buzzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alt+Smooth works fairly well. Its not perfect as Unleashed mentioned, but its functional. It actually exaggerates larger details pretty well. Just go to a lower subD and use a bigger brush.