Home General Discussion

PS3 to PC Monitor

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Revel interpolator
Hi guys, recently I bought a PS3 and I know most of you guys here are also a gamer. I wonder is it possible to play it through my PC monitor?..since the monitor doesn't have build-in speaker, I try to search a device that convert the RCA/ HDMI cable (from the PS3) branch out into VGA (for monitor) + USB/ Audio jack (for speaker) but couldn't find anything. I'm not really familiar with hardware (combining cable stuff), so I couldn't think of anything right now.

Hope some of you guys here can help me out~
Thanks in advance!

_Revel

Replies

• glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Yep :) I have my PS3 going through my monitors. My sound is connected to my PC, so I have great sound and a really nice image to look at.

My monitor has HDMI input, so I use that for the video. I use a high def optical audio cable to run sound from the PS3 to my Soundblaster X-FI.

Depending on what inputs your soundcard and monitor you have, you could use different kinds of cables to get the job done. You could probably plug your speakers directly into your PS3 if you don't have the cables.

Can't really offer specifics without knowing what monitor and soundcard/inputs you have :)
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    I dont think you can play your PS3 on your VGA monitor as PS3 is a HDCP compliant device (a digital copy protection) and seeing as VGA is analog while DVI and HDMI are digital, dont think its possible.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Man. I'm tired. I completely missed the part about VGA :(
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Only DVI is possible, does your monitor support it?

Most monitors support HDMI or DVI these days. A HDMI to DVI cable can be picked up pretty cheaply.

VGA was only really ever supported by the xbox and dreamcast.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    Yep :) I have my PS3 going through my monitors. My sound is connected to my PC, so I have great sound and a really nice image to look at.

My monitor has HDMI input, so I use that for the video. I use a high def optical audio cable to run sound from the PS3 to my Soundblaster X-FI.

Depending on what inputs your soundcard and monitor you have, you could use different kinds of cables to get the job done. You could probably plug your speakers directly into your PS3 if you don't have the cables.

Can't really offer specifics without knowing what monitor and soundcard/inputs you have :)

I had something similar, I had a 26" monitor with the HDMI input, which the PS3 supports, and I used the old (also new) component cables (the yellow, white and red ones :)) with the ps2 input for sound (looks like a big USB input).

I used a small compact disk player/radio that had a red/white input. I set up the PS3 audio settings via the ps3, and I was blasting foes with my BASS BOAST on :poly136:. Not sure but you can use Headphones with the PS3 directly? I used headphones sometimes connected to my CD/radio player.

If your playing the new Socom (wow the game was fun but, just wow so many problems, sound was good though, actually the sound was amazing :)) your gonna need a HDMI to spot those mercenaries from the bell tower :).
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    It pretty much giving me a headache..my desktop monitor is "Samsung SyncMaster 2033sw" only support VGA (analog) and DVI (digital) input no HDMI. My graphic card is nVidia GeForce GTX 275, which only has 2 DVI (digital) output.

Now I'm trying to look for a TV (with component and VGA input) that has a DVI input for my CPU, but apparently doesn't exist. So is there any PC monitor (with DVI) that support HDMI input?..I'm confuse, so if the PC monitor does support HDMI input, what about the audio?..since I never saw a PC monitor with build-in speaker.. :(

Sorry if my question is kinda noob about hardware stuff, but is there anything that you guys need to know (spec or someting) in order to give you a clearer idea about things that I should buy (cable/ converter device/ etc..) to connect it?..I'll try to look into my system spec and post it here later. Thanks!

_Revel
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    what about a component to VGA adaptor and a PS-port to component cable? never tried such an adaptor but they're cheap enough. to my understanding component is still an analog signal after all. ;)

component works at least up to 720p, good enough for games.
  • Dis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dis
    Hawken already gave you the answer. Get an HDMI -> DVI cable.
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Eforcity-Black-Meter-HDMI-Cable/dp/B000E8SY5Q/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1284464569&sr=1-2[/ame]

As for the sound, you can simply plug the audio cables (red and white) to an adapter like this one:
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Console-Adapter-Convert-Single-Pc/dp/B0006U3ACY[/ame]
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I dont think you can play your PS3 on your VGA monitor as PS3 is a HDCP compliant device (a digital copy protection) and seeing as VGA is analog while DVI and HDMI are digital, dont think its possible.
    I go from HDMI to DVI on my Dell 24" with my PS3. Movies play in 1080p because my HDMI port has HDCP. If you go HDMI to VGA it will not play in 1080p, but other resolutions will be fine.

Check your videocard box, you might have an DVI to HDMI adapter in there somewhere.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Lamont wrote: »
    Check your videocard box, you might have an DVI to HDMI adapter in there somewhere.

This is true, you might also find a audio adapter in your spare-techy-bits-box too like I did.... after I bought the 2 things :(

Oh well, they're cheap anyway.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Alright, thanks for the solution guys!..will try to search those things, hopefully can find a good one. At least for now I know it can be done with a correct rig. if anyone have any solution/ pictures/ anything to share regarding this issue, will be much appreciated!

@Yozora
    Dude, you can send me those 2 things of yours if you don't use it..lol :)

_Revel
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    Hmm, I was actually interested in doing the same thing. What i tried doing was taking a HDMI to DVI adapter that came with my videocard and running it through that. However my moniter displays "Signal not recognized" or something like that. Is it a problem with my monitor or am i doing something wrong? the monitor's a Acer X223W.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Lamont wrote: »
    I go from HDMI to DVI on my Dell 24" with my PS3. Movies play in 1080p because my HDMI port has HDCP. If you go HDMI to VGA it will not play in 1080p, but other resolutions will be fine.

really that's sweet. Then yeah OP check and see if you have a DVI to HDMI adapter.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Owh sorry haven't mention it before, yea I checked my videocard box already after Lamont mention it, but I found DVI to VGA intead of DVI to HDMI :(

_Revel
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Guys, another question before I go buy the HDMI to DVI converter, is it possible to output a progressive scan with the converter cable?..because interlace just looks...well, bad...my monitor is 1600x900, for sure it won't output fullHD 1080p, but what about 720p?...or is there any kind of device that help it output the progressive scan?..Thanks in advance~!

_Revel
  • woody_294
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You'll probably find that you can do that through the nVidia drivers :)
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    nVidia drivers on his PS3?
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Make sure your monitor is HDCP compliant, else the HDMI-DVI converter won't do much. As for progressive, yes, you can. I'm using my PS3 with an LG Flatron, and since it maxes out at 1680x1050, I can't do 1080p, but I /can/ do 720p.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Yea, my monitor is HDCP compliant.
    Great, thanks for the info guys!

_Revel