Home Technical Talk

help with export issue in zbrush

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
so i'm new to zbrush and for the last few days i've been sculpting my highpoly-mesh for normal map purposes. i use xNormal for this and i tried once with a unfinished highpoly, with good results.

but now that i have a somewhat more detailed mesh the normalmap that comes out looks wack. as i try to figure out why i discover that somehow the oreintation of my new highpolymesh is different from the old one. if i export everyting to maya i see that it is rotated in some weird way. and the worst part is that i can't find any way in zbrush to fix this. i checked transform;info and those numbers doens't match between the the two meshes. i tried changing it so it would be the same but that doesn't help. the only thing that improve the normal map a little bit is putting both meshes in the sameplace in the tool;preview window. but this is really frustrating since it's really hard to align it with precision and it shows on the normal map.

what should i do? it's very annoying since i can't use my newly-sculpted, awsomelooking mesh to bake a normal map.

Replies

• kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Also curious about why this happens and how to fix it.
    Anyone?

Thanks.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Should only happen if you rotate the mesh in zbrush with transpose or a deformation. Would be easier to export it and just match the low-poly to it's new orientation (as long as you didn't scale it, they should still share the same bounding box?).
  • Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you have earlier iterations where it works?
    (Assuming the newer versions you've only been adding higher frequency details, not changing your lowest subd) you could always try export/importing the lowest subd model that works into the one that has weird values. ... (similar process to importing uvs) I image that could work....? I would try it out...

importing uvs (minus creating uvs):
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-184443.html

Hope you get it figured out :)
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    preferences > importexport > eFlip ?
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    thanks for all suggenstions but i think the problem lays in me messing around in the preview window. it seems logical since the high poly is rotated and such. so i kind of fixed the problem, and now i have a nice normal map. but it is still weird. what happens if i accidently touch the preview window in the future? do i have to import the lowpoly i based it on and change it's position? there should be a way to reset the x,y,z's for the tool that you have in zbrush. does anybody know a way?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Dragging the red cross in the preview window will change the model's center. There's a store and restore button on the preview window, perhaps store it before you make any changes. Personally I'd just avoid opening the preview subpalette altogether; I don't think it has much use now that the document seems to update instantly to deforms and other modifiers.