Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tata Nano.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
Hey PC, don't mind my noobish work :(, I haven't done this is almost a year and I thought I might as well start again.

At school I'm working with SOLIDWORKS and Autodesks INVENTOR, but I wanted a bit of a break so I decided to find my 2009 cd and installed it :).

I started working on this car today and this is what I have so far. It's neither low poly or high.. mid poly?

Not to sure what I'm going to do with this, maybe rig it since I know nothing about car rigging and animation, so that might be cool.

This is my progress so far, more to come as the days go by... Also throw me suggestions and whatever comes to you mind, I love that stuff :).

Replies

• XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little update, I had a lot of HW... well not really, I'm almost done all my course work (I think), took a little break and did the bumper while listening to Weezer :).

It didn't turn out so good, but I just checked the time and it's randomly 4:03 am and I have school tommo...today! Damn mechanical drawings today :), prof. is teaching me the mathematical way to draw in perspective? Should be fun.

Did a little bit of this in paint :).
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just some randomness, getting so much HW, and here I thought I was almost done everything... silly me...

No time to model... so I just used the best script ever made and did a simple render.

Makes me happy :)
    1606geh.png

Man they need to stop giving me so much work! Thats what I get for taking two courses at one I guess... Yeah I'm bad.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weekend time is near! It's the final countdown!

28rmp6u.png28s3n9x.png21azrmg.pngwjxfv8.png

2ur83eu.png9rk8qq.png2ibiv6r.png2bp3fa.png

EDIT: I'm actually done the back as well, I forgot to upload those ones, will do it tomorrow, it's quite late.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    It's coming along pretty well. Keep it up.
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there - cute car :)

Not much to say about the modeling since its obviously still wip - however - what do you intend todo with this when finished? Gonna texture and render it? Gonna rig and animate it?

Would be nice to know to stay objective.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy wrote: »
    It's coming along pretty well. Keep it up.

Thank you LRoy :).
    JGcount wrote: »
    Hey there - cute car :)

Not much to say about the modeling since its obviously still wip - however - what do you intend todo with this when finished? Gonna texture and render it? Gonna rig and animate it?

Would be nice to know to stay objective.

I have decided to rig and animate it since I have never done that before. Maybe with reactor? Not to sure how I'm going to approach it, I will do some research on car rigging for animation.

I think for animation I might have to create one of those boards that controls the car, or reactor, I wouldn't mind making the board.

I'm also going to render it (I love rendering :poly142:), but texturing may be as simple as a MR Car Paint material and presets, since this is more of a modeling and rigging tutorial for me rather than texturing (I don't like texturing all that much ahaha).

Thanks for the reply :).
  • dansher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dansher polycounter lvl 8
    heres a pretty cool tut on car rigging by Laurens Corijn, ive only watched a bit of it but it looks really good, not sure if this will work for u tho, i dont know alot about it, are you using 3ds max?

http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/autodesk-3ds-max/create-an-advanced-drifting-car-rig-in-3ds-max-day-1/
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dansher wrote: »
    heres a pretty cool tut on car rigging by Laurens Corijn, ive only watched a bit of it but it looks really good, not sure if this will work for u tho, i dont know alot about it, are you using 3ds max?

http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/autodesk-3ds-max/create-an-advanced-drifting-car-rig-in-3ds-max-day-1/

Thats perfect dansher, thank you sir. Wow!
    In this advanced level tutorial, you will learn all of the steps necessary to build a fully functioning car rig in 3D Studio Max. This rig features working suspension, steering and body roll, as well as some functionality for drifting and powerslides. You will learn how to set up internal functionality through links, constraints, expressions, and parameter wiring. The final result will be a robust rig with easy, and accessible controls.

• Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Thats perfect dansher, thank you sir. Wow!
    In this advanced level tutorial, you will learn all of the steps necessary to build a fully functioning car rig in 3D Studio Max. This rig features working suspension, steering and body roll, as well as some functionality for drifting and powerslides. You will learn how to set up internal functionality through links, constraints, expressions, and parameter wiring. The final result will be a robust rig with easy, and accessible controls.

Cheers dude :p

Also your car is coming along fine, though those proptions are so funky; wheels seem tiny. I'm pretty sure the real car is like that also though.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Cheers dude :p

Also your car is coming along fine, though those proptions are so funky; wheels seem tiny. I'm pretty sure the real car is like that also though.

Thank you Xoliul, yeah your right, the car is the cheapest in the world, so they downsized everything.

I have a question guys, is anyone interested in rendering this model for me? The laptop I'm currently using is quite old and cannot handle what I want to produce :(.

Also it's not mine so I don't wanna wreck it with constant rendering and tweaks, so if someone doesn't mind helping me out, I would greatly appreciate it.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An Update.. but the thing is, when I render, since I have my GAMMA set to 2.2, it changes it when I save the file (.png).

Umm if I set my output of bitmap files to 2.2 as well, from 1, will the image be... well 2.2+2.2? or just 2.2?

2dm9yrt.png
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I have another problem.. I was doing more rendering tests for my final "look". So I set my output to 2.2, it seemed to fix the image, on the computer. Then I uploaded it on tinypic, and it was over contrasted...

Edit: Nevermind.. it seems that tinypic makes it that way.. lol.. I guess I need another upload website.

Also I just have to fix the bumper, I'm done with the glass parts, and also with the rubber guards for the glass (not seen in render, old renders). Tires next :). Lot of good tutorials out there for making tire patters, soo yay! Also the tail and head lights.

Edit #2: It seems that the outside render looks good in the thumbnail, but when you expand it, it gets over contrasted... great! Also.. they are low quality because my laptop sucks.. sorry guys, if anyone can lend me their beast of a computer to render some sexyness later on, I would wub them and hug them :).
  • trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trancerobot polycounter lvl 7
    I tend to avoid messing with gamma. The system default is different on Apples and PCs, and in general it can get very confusing if you don't know what you're doing.

I think it's still a bit early for you to be worried about beauty renders anyway. But you have a good start.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • KatieR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for sharing this information. I'm sure many people will find this very helpful. Anyway, the Tata Nano is, Tata Motors has verified, going to be delivered to the U.S. down the road. It definitely won't be the $2,500 bare-bones affair sold in India, but rather manufactured to meet laws to be sold and it will be a bit more expensive, but still affordable.