Home Technical Talk

how to export max (2010) animation (to maya) ...and output it to marmoset toolbag?

Hi there! I just finished a small animation (300 f) for a prop I did and I wanted to import the animation to marmoset for rendering but I read that marmoset just works with maya for this. So I downloaded a trial for maya and basically I just want to export my model to maya from 3ds, and output it from there to marmo.

I haven't export an animation from max before, so if someone can point me to the right direction I'll be thankful! I am not a maya user for the time being, so if you think there is something I should look for when importing or exporting to marmo from maya, that'll be cool too. thanks for your time on this!

Replies

• Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    FBX should work...but I haven't done it myself either...
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Piflik, I exported the animation in .fbx format, but when I import it to maya and try to play it, looks like all the pivot points are messed up, so the animation is not working. Also looks like some elements are a bit out of place. I imagine that I should set the frames in maya to be the same as I used in max?

If you have any clue on how to fix this, or maybe somebody else, that'll be great help. Thanks!
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Dont know if this is anything but is it possible that max kept the z up orientation for the animations?
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, I spoke with a friend that does animation, and he simply told me this is not possible to achieve accurately between max and maya....because of several incompatibilities in those programs in regards to animated objects, so yes it sucks. I guess I'll just render those frames and do a video straight from max... instead of toolbag.
  • aydinuluc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well you could try to bake the animation when exporting. I also did some exporting animations form Max to Maya and had no problems
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi aydinuluc.... hey what about that baking animation you say?, can you pass me a link to illustrate me a bit on this, I haven't bake any animation yet, I am not exactly sure what you mean. Hey thanks.
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    no idea what it's like in Max, but i imagine you can bake the animation to a point cache, which removes the rig from the equation and just records vertex movement from frame to frame.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...mmm I haven't done a proper rigging for this, it is simple keyframe animation using some parenting links for some parts. It's only purpose is to show how a prop I am doing works. I think I understand what you mean. but 'll need to google a bit to see if this can actually help me, thanks Jipe.

Also if someone went through something similar (like wanting to put a max animation in toolbag) I'll really like to hear how u did, or also in regards to baking animation. Thanks!