finalka50other.jpg
finalka50ordinance.jpg
finalka50wireframe.jpg
finalka50textures.jpg

--- original post vvv ---
ka50hipoly1b.jpg
ka50hipoly2b.jpg
ka50hipoly3b.jpg

The Kamov Ka-50 is an awesome Russian helicopter which utilizes two counter-rotating blades to neutralize torque (instead of the usual tail rotor, which counter-acts it). If you've ever played the old Comanche games (voxels!) this was one of the bad guys. It is also known by its NATO reporting name "Hokum".

Design for this thing was finished in 1985, but production didn't occur until after the fall of the Soviet Union. Because of the sudden budget constraints, only 20 or so were made. A revised version, the Ka-52, is going to see much greater production, but I decided to make the 50 instead because it looks way better.

I plan on making a full game-ready mesh for this project, so it's missing quite a few small details (panels, rivets, and inset details, mostly) that I'm going to either model later or do in photoshop. The mast and linkages for the rotors are pretty basic for this reason as well.

Replies

• Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Man that is a nasty background colour choice. The model looks good I think, but i cant get past the orange!
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah, good point, I've fixed to something waaay more reasonable.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Nice work, looking good so far.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Cool stuff dude. Ka-50's are indeed very cool, the russians always succeed with this sort of bad-ass alternative design.

btw ProTip: don't let the speculars on your presentation material go all burnt out (pure white). Instead, lower the spec level until they just start to go bright. And put a slight hint of color in there, like a really faint brown tint in the diffuse color. It'll look better, honestly :)
  • Bumper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumper polycounter lvl 9
    Xoliul - Good call on the spec.

I'm looking forward to seeing this with a texture. I'm also eagerly awaiting to see how it looks low poly. :)
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks Xoliul, I think that it does look a lot better! I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to lighting and materials so I appreciate all the help I can get!

ka50hipoly3b.jpg
  • Bumper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumper polycounter lvl 9
    I'd pull the spec down even further, almost to (if not at) the point of the surface looking matte.

**I just looked at your page... The welds and scope texture on your VSS look spot on.
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the compliment on the vintorez Bumper! As for the specularity of the high poly model: I think I'll play around with that stuff more when I've finished the game model and am making the final stuff for my website.

Here are the wires of the low-poly model so far:
    ka50wireframewip.jpg

It's mostly finished, except for the Shipunov cannon, the cutaway in the fairing for said cannon, and the rotor/mast stuff.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks pretty good. Nicely optimized. The wire on the exhaust looks a bit complex though, and I don't think you need to actually model that detail on the side of the wing pods.
    Also it kinda strange you spend your polies on nice rounding everywhere (which is ok) but then seem to skip the front of the cockpit class (it's really sharp) ?
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    The exhaust shroud has holes in the side of it that I decided I didn't want to be pitch black texture features, and is fairly bulbous which means it required a couple of loops to maintain volume. Here's a comparison of the lows and highs:
    explainq.jpg
    as for the cockpit, I'm going to see how the details bake, and if they look flat (probable) I'm going to model the window frames on.

I don't mean to be obstinate, I appreciate the criticism. I just feel like this part really needed the volume. Let me know what you think!
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    I've finished the low-poly, for the most part. I've decided to add weapons, since it looks a little empty without them.

Here's lowpoly + normals + AO
    ka50lowpoly1.jpg

I'm not entirely sure about how I'm going to add panels, but I think I am going to model out some panel shapes and render-to-texture them as color shapes, and then use the stroke modifier in photoshop to define them. I figure that I can avoid distortion from the UV unwraps this way. I really hate drawing stuff on in photoshop and then checking back and forth for distortion. I'll probably just chop up the current hull to avoid any unnecessary work.
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
    Love to see this textured.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dunno man, I would always just draw the panels in PhotoShop. The whole idea with unwrapping a vehicle is that you avoid distortion at the cost of more seams, which are easy to hide in most places.
    Your bake looks excellent i must say !
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Oh, good point. I unwrapped the fuselage into only 6 or so uv islands so it's not really suited to that. As an experiment, I'm going to re-unwrap the fuselage and photoshop it, and then slice up the current hull into panels with the knife tool and RTT with my current UV set and see which is faster for me. My favorite thing about baking stuff is that you never have to worry about distortion around curves (which this heli has a lot of). Of course, it can take a lot longer to do the same work than simply painting stuff in photoshop.
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Well it turns out that I'm an idiot and it's a lot harder to chop this stuff up than I thought. I'm just going to do some of the panels on complex surfaces in xsi, and the rest in photoshop. Thanks for the advice Xoliul, I appreciate it!
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Hand painting rivets is a fun and exciting task!

ka50lowpoly2.jpg
    Ignore the red text on the bottom; it's just a reminder I forgot to remove before I took the screenies! Oh and I modeled the navigation lights on the wing pods because they will be two different colors (red and green) and I wanted to be able to mirror the pods.

As for the rivets, I created a 1x2 photoshop brush with high spacing and drew the rivets on. Then, in the normal map, I separated the top pixel from the bottom, used them as a mask and assigned an appropriately aligned normal color to the layer (upwards for the top pixel, downwards for the bottom pixel). For the 2x2 pixel rivets, I did the same thing but with corner facing normal values.
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    great progress so far! looks very good
  • RobertHammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobertHammer polycounter lvl 10
    It looks amazing , btw if you do cockpit i will love you :D
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some pretty nifty rivet work there. Looking nice thus far.
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that looks amazing so far, going to be an amazing piece when you've finished! Also do you think we could see a wireframe of the entire low poly model? :)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is looking really nice!
    If you want some inspiration for textures, check this out: http://polygoo.com/port/rsheli.html
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Holy crap Xoliul that is an awesomely textured helicopter, thanks for the link!

RobertHammer: yeah, I should probably do the cockpit too. I'll do that later on though, I'm on a texturing kick right now. I need to model more of the ordinance too.

lhazard, here's a wireframe. Sorry it's not quads, but the untriangulated version of my model is exploded into a million pieces and I don't want to put it back together right now. I'll do it for sure when I make the presentation shots at the end of all of this, so look forward to it then!

ka50wireframewip2.jpg
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good man, good to hear you got rid of the orange, and the panels are really bringing it to life. Great progress!
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im absolutely loving this thing, awesome!
    really is a lean mean killing machine
  • woody_294
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're right, that is a mean looking 'copter! great job on it too, look forward to seeing it wrapped in some colour :D
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Here's the finished base texture:
    ka50paintedshots.jpg
    ka50paintedrawr.jpg

I haven't applied even an iota of weathering and surface texture, it's just the base colors, decals, and some rudimentary specular. The yellow color is from the dawn sky that comes with the marmoset toolbag. It looks like 8 monkey labs just released a sky tool for the marmoset toolbag, so I'm going to be making some better skies for reflections. There's also a gross discontinuity in the AO from separate bakes that I'm going to fix in the space between the fuselage and the engines.
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    Badass! I am so looking forward to seeing this completed, one of my favorite projects so far!
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great. Those rivets read amazingly.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Really great work!
    I'm also very impressed about the rivets and panels. Especially as you added them more or less in PS than in ypur highpoly.

I would have expected serious issues when adding thing like pannels in 2d.

What texture resolution are we looking at? Must be quite high as the rivets and panels seem to be sharp as hell. Do you mind giving a little more detail on how you got the pannels and rivets on the texture without distortions?
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the compliments guys!

Medestruit, I'm glad to hear that they read so well. I found that including them in the normal was the best option, since they would perturb both lighting and specular.

Slave_zero: this is a 2048x2048 texture. As far as distortion goes, for the most part It's not an issue. I made very basic panel shapes by extracting geometry on the nose and the engines and RTT them for use in masks in photoshop so that I wouldn't have to deal with distortion, but for the rest of the model it was just drawing it by hand. I used a stroke layer effect on white objects set to multiply so that I could control all panels at once as a sort of global effect when making panels.

Got some work done on the aging and specular, and I did some tests to see how it would hold up under different lighting (very lazy tests, because they're all default skyboxes in marmoset)

ka50paintedshots2.jpg

ka50envtest1.jpg
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Added a cockpit + windows!

oh and Vikhr missiles and external fuel tanks as well.

ka50windows.jpg

Is there any way to do real transparency in marmoset? I ended up doing two screenshots and setting one to 50% opacity in photoshop. Also, if I do something like this in portfolio shots, will it be considered cheating? I figure it's such a common thing in games with vehicles to have transparent windscreens that it wouldn't be bad, but I don't want to commit a grave sin as far as portfolios go.
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    using an alpha map set to a grey would surely be the best option? but that means having glass on a seperate, smaller map so that the alpha map isn't huge, because otherwise you end up with yet another memory consuming 2048^2 map which isn't necessary. Then on the alpha you can add variation/scratches with black/white variation, but be subtle with it, maybe some darker areas around the edges where grime/dirt would get in.
  • RobertHammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work :)
    btw dont forget about rocket pods too :p

btw2 you will make also the cockpit from inside?
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    PatJS wrote: »
    Added a cockpit + windows!

Is there any way to do real transparency in marmoset? I ended up doing two screenshots and setting one to 50% opacity in photoshop. Also, if I do something like this in portfolio shots, will it be considered cheating? I figure it's such a common thing in games with vehicles to have transparent windscreens that it wouldn't be bad, but I don't want to commit a grave sin as far as portfolios go.

Yes there is a way to do real transparency in marmoset. You'll need to create an alpha channel for the cockpit with greyscale controlling your opacity, detach the canopy itself, and import both into marmoset. That way you have 2 models essentially in marmoset, your Helo and your Canopy. Create a separate material for the canopy, and set the Alpha Testing to "On" play with the global alpha sliders, and also set your material blend mode to "Alpha".

And for portfolio shots, it's fine to do some tweaks, but when it comes to things materials that translate in-game, its important to show off the knowledge of creating translucent materials, etc.

Textures are looking great btw!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks excellent, buddy. Just watch out with the FOV: some shots make it look like a toy model.
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    kaburan: thanks for the help! I didn't realize there was an alpha blend mode in marmoset; I thought it was all one-bit or nothing.

If I was to do this in another engine that supported scalar values (such as with source's vertexLitGeneric and the $alpha key or unreal3's opacity channel), my all-on-one-texture method would be valid, correct? It seems like it would be memory intensive to do this for all vehicles with transparent windscreens.

Xoliul: thanks! Can you tell me which ones look toyish to you? I've never really played around with FOV before and I was trying to get close shots without much distortion around the edges.

RobertHammer: I probably should make rocket pods. As for making the cockpit from the inside, if you mean with full detail with tens of thousands of polys, then no I'm not going to. It did strike me as a possible future project when I was making the cockpit for this guy, though, so who knows? maybe in the future.

edit: so I got the alpha channel working, but it doesn't treat the skybox properly. It draws the background color behind itself instead. It also becomes opaque looking, colored the same as the skybox from certain angles. Is there any way to fix this, or is it just the way the marmoset engine works?
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Well, I feel pretty done here, but I'm completely open to criticism so if you see something wrong let me know!
    finalka50shots.jpg
    finalka50other.jpg
    finalka50ordinance.jpg
    finalka50wireframe.jpg
    finalka50textures.jpg
  • Contrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice! Rivets stand out nicely... would you mind posting your normals?

And what was your general workflow? Did you build the base shape and then weld on pieces like the engines and pylons? Looking to build a helicopter of my own - going in the inspiration folder for sure :)
  • RobertHammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well Done - its looks so nice :)
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    Nice model and bake, but I feel the material needs a lot of work. Generally speaking military paint is very mat with a lower gloss than your average car. It could also do with a cubemap to really sell the reflections that you can see. The glass would be better because of this.

http://www.google.co.uk/images?q=military%20paint&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1680&bih=965
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    For my taste the specular and glossyness is a little over the top. Expecially in the areas with camouflage paint.

In your close-up shots the spec looks quite cool but in all those shots from a distance the surface seems quite glossy. Comparing your naterial to this foto I'd say try o tweak the glossy and spec mal a little more.

To me it looks like the black engine parts and the blueish bottom area are supposed to have more specular than all the camouflage areas. The camo areas don't seem to have much specular at all.

Ka50TopView1oClock.jpgKa50From11oClock_1.jpg
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    IchII3D, Slave_zero: you guys are totally right about the specular. I will definitely fix that! I think I will include a lower resolution gloss map, too, given the difference in gloss between the camouflage, engine dust protectors, and underbelly camo.

Thanks a bunch for the crits, I will update soon!

PS Contrails: I'll include the normal map when I post the fixed specular tomorrow.
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    I didn't end up using a gloss map; i just toned down the specular on the camouflage painted areas. I also added a little more dirt to places and made the windows slightly grimier.
    finalka50shotsbig.jpg
    finalka50other.jpg

Contrails, here's the normal map:
    normalmaph.jpg
    Sorry it's so compressed. I guess imageshack re-compresses everything.
    The rivets are kind of crap looking here, but all I did was make a two-pixel brush with wide spacing and drew it with the pencil tool for maximum clarity. The top pixel has a normal pointing somewhere between 45 and 60 degrees up, and the bottom is somewhere between 45 and 60 down.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very top-knotch. awesome. an inspiration to us all. looking for possibly different camo paint jobs ie black-white, russian blue camo, etc?
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    I've played around with other camo patterns. I'll probably do a marine blue pattern, some sort of black night pattern, and I'd like to do this really cool one too:
    http://www.enemyforces.net/helicopters/ka500.jpg