Home General Discussion

Building The Perfect Kill House With Video Games

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
We showed up on Kotaku.

http://kotaku.com/5625846/building-the-perfect-kill-house-with-video-games

They pretty much described it accurately, although those images and clip are pretty old now. Too bad they don't show some newer stuff. All the stuff that people mentioned as lacking in the comments is all there actually. Anyways, kinda neat.

Replies

• Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    and do the digital terrorists drop grenades when they die, or do they have other perks on?
    Funny.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    the description sounded cool. The video looked kinda eh. Sorry, paintball is about 1000x cooler than that.

I feel like I'm not seeing a huge difference between this and a large game of duck hunt.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    the description sounded cool. The video looked kinda eh. Sorry, paintball is about 1000x cooler than that.

I feel like I'm not seeing a huge difference between this and a large game of duck hunt.

The video was of a specific product where the special forces wanted the characters to always be six feet tall and adhere to the wall like that. Unfortunately, there are lots of times where the training they want outweighs the option to have cool stuff. Story of our lives here.

But there are plenty of scenarios and missions where the characters can run behind objects for cover, take or kill hostages, arm and detonate a suicide vest, patrol, etc. Its a shame that THAT is the video that ran with the story. The powers-that-be here have a special fondness for that video, and also we haven't done many promo vids for that software yet. The ballistics and ability to tailor the training to whatever they want is the important part (but those don't make exciting videos).
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    aesir wrote: »

Real bullets. The kind that kill you, actually. No turning off FF here...

TheMadArtist: I love this stuff. Sometimes I wish I was doing this kind of stuff instead of making mainstream games. There's so much richness and satisfaction with building something so physically large and tangible. I hope to see more videos of more modern stuff.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum wrote: »

TheMadArtist: I love this stuff. Sometimes I wish I was doing this kind of stuff instead of making mainstream games. There's so much richness and satisfaction with building something so physically large and tangible. I hope to see more videos of more modern stuff.

We might have some more impressive vids up soon. Sadly our website content is outdated too, but maybe I can find some to post sometime.

Its fun, but it's certainly different from mainstream games. Deadlines are ridiculous. We're a team of 2 artists and 2 programmers at the moment. On one hand, you get to do things like this or our helicopter sim, or the humvee sims, which are incredibly cool to see in action. The downside is having very rushed deadlines in an industry that doesn't understand the software side of the product per se.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Don't you get paid a lot for this sort of work? There is so much money going on in the defense industry, it'd be ridiculous not to adjust your prices to that?
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Don't you get paid a lot for this sort of work? There is so much money going on in the defense industry, it'd be ridiculous not to adjust your prices to that?

It's about on par with pay in the gaming industry, at least at my place.