Home Contests & Challenges Archives

BEAT-EM-UP! | [HP]

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
[HP] polycounter lvl 13
I decided to get out of my comfort zone too, (Getting tired of metal and sci-fi) and do a very uncharted-like scene, with a lot of vegetation, rocks, and natural look.

eldt07.jpg

The strip in the bottom of the moodboard is from The King of Dragons. The first level fits perfectly what I'm trying to achieve here.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=649RoxjCv9A[/ame]

I'm going to be using CryEngine2 as the engine to showcase this scene.

See you guys in the finish line, I'll post work as regularly as I can.

Cheers

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    There's a lot of threads here, but this is one I'll be looking at for sure!
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Sure this is ambitious, I'll keep an eye on this one particularly!

Good luck.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Nice! will follow this one up for sure..
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    go go helder~~
  • Kaneth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice moodboard, looks like CryEngine would suit your piece really well
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks guys, glad you like the theme! :)

So, here's an update, if you can call it that. Yesterday, and today I spent researching references and blocking out the scene in Cryengine. (I'm just using some temporary geometry to start having a sense of scale) I can't paint concept art for shit, so I always need to go through this initial stage of blocking out.

Nothing special to see in the engine yet, so here's a few references and a more explicit look at what I'm aiming at.
    I'm aiming at something that I like to call stylized realism, something in the lines of uncharted, very vivid and volumetric. With saturated colors, vegetation and crystal water with ruins and a coral under the water.

The first section will have only a few trees and bushes, second section water with a waterfal and coral and the third section a lot more confined and misty with a temple in the background.

The first area is going to be pretty simple, it open with just some trees on it. (So the level feels like it ramps up as it progresses)

125qb7p.jpg

Second area opens up a lot more, the player will walk through a river with water by his knees. On the blue crystal water, you will be able to see some corals and if I have time I might model a fish and animate it around with the flocking system, quick and easy and adds a nice touch.

2njv75y.jpg

90rdp1.jpg

Then the it scrolls into the third area, a more claustrophobic and dark area, almost dark and mist with a temple in the background. (Last area, supposedly where a boss would take place)

10fb6li.jpg

nlobxh.jpg

For this scene, I will try and concentrate more into the big picture and the composition of the scene as a whole, instead of beautifying each pixel of every single prop, lol.

That's it, tomorrow I'll bring the block out geometry into max and start modeling hopefully.

cheers
  • arun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool... looking forward
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like your idea H
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    cant wait to start seeing assets!
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lookin good so far :D show us some blockouts!
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    This is going to be ace. Good luck buddy :)
  • ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    So, my progress so far has been kinda slow.. I'm always slow when I start something new, hopefully it will ramp up.
    It's also taking a while cos I (obviously) don't want to use anything from crysis stock stuff, so had to make a normal map for the water, clouds texture, etc.

Anyway, I've spent some time tweaking materials like watter, time of day and setting up some terrain textures as well. I will iterate with them a bit better later on but these will do as base for now.
    I really want to try and get away from the typical crysis look too, but that will come near the end when it comes to tweak the ToD.

Water material + underwater sand texture
    de1iex.jpg

Terrain textures:
    15mmq79.jpg

I also got started modeling some tree trunks too, and the block out geometry of some of the geometry like the waterfall rocks and temple. I'll post some screens when at least the base geometry is more or less finalized and in the engine.

cheers
  • 3DK.P.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DK.P. polycounter lvl 10
    Oh man, that water is looking pretty damn awesome!
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Hey mate nice start!

You should try useing mix maps on thoses vertex paints and use the height map of the tiles to blend it more naturaly :)

Also is their maybe a way to make the water becaume darker and more opaque as you get futher away, Im certan that some nifftly shading would work ^^

Looking sweet tho, good luck !
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Kharn, I would but terrain layers in CE2 don't support that kind of blending. CE3 supports it, but even that only on assets. So what I'll do is hide these transitions with vegetation, pebbles or what I have on my disposal.

Thanks guys
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Oh right ,fair enought. Well if this was UDK you could probably export the height map for your terrain then displace a mesh in max. That way you could use blending and optimise your tri count. But Ive not really worked with CE2 maybe something similar is possible. Anyways you look like you know CE well ^^.
  • PlatinumGold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PlatinumGold polycounter lvl 7
    Nicccce :)

Im really looking forward for the next step, the block mesh. GL mate! :poly121:

You could export the height map... but I think the relative positions and scale between the meshes and terrain is screwed in max then.
  • TheBat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheBat polycounter lvl 10
    Your last picture (the boss area) reminds of "the cathedral", which supposedly everyone over at polycount has seen, in case you haven't it might be some sort of inspiration.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GAfTGbvhME[/ame]