Home Contests & Challenges Archives

BEAT-EM-UP! | Kharn

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Kharn polycounter lvl 8
Right lets do this!

Ill be using UDK to create a Dwarf mine envrionment, but Im going to try and keep away from the typical stone tunnel.
I want to try and use the lighting to give the environment life and ambiance.
Im working on designs right now but as I cant draw my way out of a paper bag Ill be working in max.

Challenges:
-Keeping within the texture limit and still have an interesting environment.
-Useing modular elements without it being obvious.
-Acctually finishing an environment with post-processing etc.
-Making and interesting design that is coherent.

good luck to everyone :)

Replies

• Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Alright Ive started "concepting" ,but as I said I cant draw to save my life, dosnt stop me trying though heh.
    So Iplaned to make a two part level with a corridor like entrance to start with followed by the lava cave but that might be a little ambitious with the limitations, texture wise.

This is a max render with some fingerpainting on top.
    Im also looking to add a blue colour in their somewere to contrast the huge amount of red/orange. Maybe some crystals on the side of the brige that would be like lights and have a light blue colour.

The grey part at the top would be carved stone with decorations (if I can fit them in the textures) and the bottom is rough rock.

I was also considering having the heads in the background have water rather than lava again to balance the colour but thats a hole new texture just for one element. Plus most the lava in the pit wont be visible from the players point of view.

Good luck to all who enter, looking forwards to seeing all the awsome ideas that come up.

envconcept.jpg
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool concept, but it seems that just forwarding on a bridge might get a bit dull visually.
    Do you plan to involve more elements on said bridge, or perhaps expanding the area before the bridge?
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Hey their Simski Yeah im planning on having 3 parts to the level.
    The first will be a snowy foggy mountain top, followed by an entrance hall then the lava pit will be the final objective.
    Im just worried about texture space at this point and Im not shure how to keep the entrance hall relevant comparied to the stong blue outside and the strong orange lava.
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Ok so Ive got the concept for the outside steps leading up to the mountain "shrine",
    Ive made this part alot wider as a contrast with the fairly compact inside. The red strip will probably be painted stone rather than fabric (would get to muddy anywayz :p).
    Im going to try and keep a running theme of copper/brass and stone though out the level and also keep the statues that represent the ancestors of the dwarfs.

I have a cunning plan to reduce texture space, Im going to sculpt and bake the statues as one "character" rig him then pose lots of them that way I can have a normal map and AO but lots of diffrent poses.

envconcept3.jpg
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys
    Ive started working on some of the shaders, this is a test of the stone, copper, tiles and snow.
    I would be intrested in any recomendations for a lava shader.
    tomorrow Ill work on the statutes and stairs and generally start putting together the first part.
    EDIT: Thanks Shiv mate :thumbup:
    materialsi.jpg
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    i see no pics in your last post.
    did you add them?
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Right Bit of a slow day today, made the new version of the statut that Ill use, Im going to rig and pose it soonish.
    I also added custom normals and AO for the hard surfaces under the snow.

The last picture was too small, so these are too big
    dwarfshaderstatut.jpgdwarfshaderstatut2.jpg
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Not had too much time, the walls are not done yet and the moutains are missing in the background (that one is just a stone from Epic to test the fog.)
    And that will be the outside bit done for now. I need to block out the inside part to see how my trig count will hold up.
    Their are two set of stairs and three flat parts.
    dwarfenv.jpg
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your snow shader is holding up well...looks great. I think it would look really cool to have a few thin layers of snow going over the middle of the path (like how it does in the bottom left corner) to make it look like wind is blowing it around a bit...like how snow drifts on roads.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    You're pretty much making the Warhammer Online Dwarf start area. It's free to play if you haven't before, so you can make a new dwarf character and check that out for reference.
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Hey their,
    Gsokol : Yeah Ill give that a go tomorrow, should be easy enought

Cholden : yep I found some dwarf concept on WarhammerOnline.com , its awsome^^ but what gave me the idea for the stairs is the new trailer for Dragon Age2. (btw awsome job on War I honestly think it should have beaten WoW)
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Hey, havent updated in a while. Im trying to get this first part done so that I can add it to my portfolio for the London Game Expo on the 1st of October. But Iv not got all that much time left, so any crits would be lovely ^^
    At this point I think the lighting needs an overhaul, its way to bright for a night scene and probably a bit to saturated but Id rather stay away from a too monotone next gen look.
    Plus the lights are hardly making the contrast I wanted . Still have a few textures to add on the door, steam machines(that will open the door).
    stairs1y.jpgstairs2b.jpgstairs3q.jpg
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think if you want a night time look then you might need to darken the ground a bit so that it's darker than your sky, see here for more info.

Also give those lanterns a larger/brighter light radius, that should give you more color variation than the monotone blue that you are trying to break away from.

Other than that this scene is coming along nicely, I also dig the snow. Keep it up :)
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    you really need to fix the UVs on those stairs. its totally throwing everything else off.

finish those steam machine thingies, add smoke particles, maybe some billowing foggy clouds in the background, make a proper background to tie it all together and everything else can be just bonus.
    looking good!
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Hey their,

luke: Yeah Im thinking about adding mesh for the snow, I ve been useing the alpha chanel of the vertex color to paint WorldPositionOffset but that really only works on the flat bit.

Ben :Thanks for the link, thats bit about the sky and ground seems pretty logical but Id not though about it xD.
    I took your advice on the lanterns and I think it looks much better now. Probably less realistic but more intresting.

Divi : yep just did the stairs , stuborn they were.
    Steam things pretty much done, smoke might be possible depending on the TriCount.
    As for the background Im not to sure what to do with it at this point.

Thanks for your answers guys!

BTW: the weird bit around the chimleys is a heat haze material on a cylindar....it looks good in motion :p

stairs5.jpgstairs4.jpgstairs6.jpg
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    You have some major scale issues you need to address now before it's too late. The game camera is set very far back. This will make your characters very tiny on screen. You have to either pull your camera in to match OR rescale your art to match.

If you don't want to change the camera, you've wasting tons of pixels on details tiling across a locked camera. Look at that floor tile for example, it's obviously tiling FIVE times across almost EXACTLY 256 pixels of screen space. There is absolutely NO reason this entire floor should be tiling. You have to screen detail for it to be completely custom, and you'll be forced to stare ad a major technical flaw should you leave it as is.
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Hey
    Thanks for your comment, I was going to have the camera quite a bit closer but just to show whats going on I made the screenshots backed out. It was just to save time and not have 20 screenshots for the entire level.
    Ill keep in mind the amount of detail compaired to screen space though, not really used to thinking about thoses things.

Thanks!
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Hi their.

Unfortunatly, I missed the deadline due to getting stuck in the strikes here in France :poly127:.
    So Ill post my screenshots anywayz, it can still go in my portfolio.
    Its about 145k tri. Ive not used up all the texture space, I basicly used the alpha slots of the other textures to add black and white "AO" maps to overlay on individual opjects.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MqRCqRavSw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MqRCqRavSw&ap=%2526fmt%3D22[/ame]

finalthumb1.jpgfinalthumb2.jpgfinalthumb3.jpgfinalthumb4.jpgfinalthumb5.jpgfinalthumb7.jpgfinalthumb8.jpgfinalthumb9.jpg
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty cool environment. The second area reminds me of one of the areas in Torchlight.