Home Contests & Challenges Archives

BEAT-EM-UP! | Nilix

OH YEAH. A challenger has arrived.
---
I'll be using UDK which is walking through familiar territory for me, although there are things in it that I haven't really bothered with, so there's still something to learn. So, this is going to challenge me in ways that I've been trying to avoid having to do.
  • Using Kismet and Matinee in UDK to bring life and movement to the scene.
  • Stick to a modular design to fit within the triangle and texture limit
  • Update at least once a week.
  • Use hand painted textures to achieve a cohesive style (hyperrealistic would be a real challenge
  • Push something strong enough to possibly be a demo reel asset.
  • Complete a personal project that I have decided to do myself.
  • Successfully balance this project with Full Sail's Final Game Project classes.
Those last two things are something I really have a personal problem with. I'm terrible at finishing what I start. I can't remember the last time I said "I'm gonna do THIS! Wouldn't that be awesome?" and then actually finishing it.
I'm not that great at multitasking/organization either. Make no mistake, graduation does precede completing this challenge but I want to prove to myself that with all that extra time I used to spend goofing off doing nothing, I can be honing my skills and becoming a better, more efficient artist. And I DO need a third asset for my demo reel month in March, so this can very well be it! :)
---
Ideas:
I just finished an Urban like scene in UDK this month for a class, so I'd really like to stay away from that. Couple of things that are popping into mind right now.

MtG Scene: I always wanted to take a setting from the world of Magic and turn it 3D. Shards of Alara or Ravnica would be one of the places I'd try to recreate. Would work for fantasy. Generally organic with a couple of buildings for the Hard Surface stuff. Ravnica would probably be easier to fit in texture limit since it's a city.

Digital Scene: Take the internet or the PC and make it a physical location. Almost like Battle Network but re-envisioned. There are two ideas I have with this, if I choose to go this way, I'll branch with one of them.

Fighting Manifest Destiny: Native Americans getting their land taken? Not if you have anything to say about it! Be a bad enough dude to keep the United States in the East side of the country. Lots of brown in this idea. It'll probably feel a bit like Red Dead but handpainted.
---

That's it for now! I'll see you guys at the finish line, I suppose.

Replies