Home Contests & Challenges Archives

BEAT-EM-UP | Metta

Alright, I'm in.

Environment: Wonderland Beat-em-Up

After drinking from the mysterious bottle, Alice finds herself no bigger than a dormouse and must brawl her way through the woods of Wonderland towards the Red Queen's Castle. Expect giant teapots, mushrooms and a whole lot of color.

We all know Wonderland has been done, but the subject matter is engaging to me and so I'm more likely to finish, as bad as that sounds. The environment will be slightly stylized. All textures will be hand-painted. Overall, I want the environment to feel vibrant, whimsical and playable.

Challenges:
- Haven't worked with UDK for several years and so this will be a refresher course for me.
- I want the environment to feel ALIVE. I want a moving element or two in the level. Butterflies flapping their wings, clouds scrolling, etc. I have no idea how to animate anything in the UDK editor, so that will be another challenge for me.
- Not sure if I'll be doing a sky box or some sort of stylized matte painting for the background. It seems to me that a matte painting would be really texture-space heavy, but I'd have to test it.
- Create solid concept art to show concept-to-completion process.
- Finishing with a solid portfolio piece that will demonstrate my concepting abilities and hand-painted texture skills.

To Do:
* Create style map
* Concept individual pieces; decide what pieces will be modular
* Research how to create moving meshes in UDK
* Model/UV/Texture (Rig, if necessary)
* Set up scene in UDK
* Light, particles, set up camera, record scrolling video.

Wish me luck, I'ma need it. >_<

Replies