Home Contests & Challenges Archives

BEAT-EM-UP! | AtlusZMH

So this'll be the first challenge I've ever entered. For now this'll just be a placeholder. When i get some content/ideas i'll update :)

The challenges I'll be facing are pretty much everything. I'm a novice when it comes to game art, so i'll be learning a LOT from this hopefully :)

-I have done very little with UDK, so that'll be a big hurdle to overcome.

-I am thinking a high fantasy side-scroller with stylized and vibrant colors, but still using normal maps and next gen techniques to add detail and visual interest :)

-I want to -Attempt- to paint a matte painting type background, but that's lower on my list because my 2d skills are kinda lacking and not necessarily my main focus anyway

-Making a coherent and exciting scene thats interesting to look at everywhere!

-Refining my workflow to be more efficient and productive :P

Thats pretty much all i have so far.

Rawr

-Zach

Replies

• DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    !! didnt know that you can actually create a thread in this place to hold a place.

But fantasy feel to it..sounds interesting.

I think I should make one too...I thought only those who know that they are going to finish it..are to enter this challenge. <.<

But anyways.

Good luck :)
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One of the challenges for me is going to actually finish it >.<
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    AtlusZMH wrote: »
    One of the challenges for me is going to actually finish it >.<

Keep it short then, and don't be too over-ambitious! :) Just keep focused on the finish line. let it be short and sweet, rather than long and unfinished.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    oh I've planned on finishing it...I just dont know if I'll be able to do so...due to a crappy computer.
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres an update with my moodboard and a quick thumbnail i have in mind.

4935323073_d9949e4b76_b.jpg
    4935912740_82f1004339.jpg

Next i'll be blocking the scene out.

I Figure if i bust out the pieces im comfortable with first, i can spend more time on the iffy parts and have some breathing room to learn properly :)

Let me know what you think!
  • Metta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great, very lush idea! Tiny crit for the future background, maybe try making those mountains purplish like in the small pixel enviro you have there. May help to break up some of the green.

Keep going! =)
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I'll try that out. My only idea was to just make it a bit greener and a few shades darker than the sky :P
  • Kaneth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the moodboard lol

DIGGIN THIS FOREST YO!

If you aren't that acquainted with UDK why not look into cryengine, I think it would lend itself well to your idea.
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is cryengine free? I have seen some really sweet foliage from Cryengine, but i've never touched it at all :P
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The info might be a bit dated but see this post if you want to use Cryengine, I hope the links still work.

The forest moodboard looks interesting. I look forward to seeing what you do with your level.
  • Kaneth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CryEngine is 'free' for none commercial use, you just need to have either Crysis or Crysis Warhead (Which comes with Crysis Wars)

The thread Ben linked looks pretty concise.
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks :) Downloading it now, I still haven't decided which engine to use. Hopefully browsing around this one will help me decide!
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a quick blockout of the cottage/house that'll be at the start of my scene.
    4946963426_18472f6d23_z.jpg
    I think i'm going to bite the bullet and sculpt like 4 or 5 bricks, piece together the cottage with said bricks, and retopo them for the low poly. I think that'll help me practice the workflow as well as give me a lot more control over how my house ends up looking compared to just using a photoref brick texture with crazybump or similar :)

Now, if anyone knows how to model trees or knows of a tutorial, i would be eternally appreciative as i have never touched foliage beyond some simple grass..
    The best idea i've come up with is to make a basemesh in maya, bring it into zbrush, and retopo afterwards.

I'll post up some brick sculpts soon!

Rawr
  • Permanent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dude nice. Im pretty much in the same boat as you are. With this being my first challenge also. Like you said, the biggest challenge will be finishing it :)

I set a schedule and deadlines to make sure I finish it. They have always helped me in the past.
  • AtlusZMH
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So heres an update to let everyone know I'm still alive :P

4974952317_ca593e2f27_z.jpg
    4975562782_f6c69dbc0d_b.jpg

I had to wrestle to the ground and beat into submission the high poly for that damn cottage.. I made a mistake of having WAAAAYYYYY too many polys.. never gonna do that again.

The smaller props are mostly going to be pick-ups like a weapon and food for health and such.

Next on the agenda is to model out the window shutters, door, and straw roof for the cottage as well as some trees... After that i'll try my hand at terrain editing in UDK(Not looking forward to learning that x.x) and then make another list of props to mash out..

By that time, i'll be ready to texture everything and start setting everything up in UDK, which will most definitely take the most of my time as i'll have to learn my way through it!

As always, please let me know what you think!

Rawr
  • Badan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the hut. How big is the map on it?

Anybody use id tech4? I'm studying udk too...
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right now its taking up about half of a 2048 map. The rest of that space is gonna be used for stuff like those props. Probably going to have another 2048 map for the foliage and organics and stuff. If that turns out to be a problem, i'll just move the house onto its own, smaller map.. but i figure most of the stuff going on the current map will all be displayed together anyway :)
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've run into a roadblock of sorts.. I have never really done much foliage at all and I'm having trouble getting the textures in particular to look decent. For some reason there is always a halo of white around my textures from the alpha not being 100% accurate.

What exactly is causing this? How do you get your alpha to only do black or white without the grey gradient along the edges?

Also, after looking through some of the Wiki about the foliage I am prolly gonna run through some of the Tuts, but i noticed there are some automatic tree generators. Does anyone have any experience with these? How do you allocate textures from them onto your already existing maps? I feel like using those may also be a sort of crutch as i may not have 100% control over the outcome.

Any words of wisdom? Any help or opinions of advice would be greatly appreciate. Even just a thumbs up or down towards a particular tutorial or generator to get me walking in the right direction :)
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the alpha problem you are having just make sure the leaf textures have "leaf" color surrounding the actual leaves, not white or black.

If you haven't already seen it the Tree making fast technique? thread has a lot of great info.

It looks like you are using Maya, you can make some great branch and possibly leaf textures with PaintFX, see this post for details.

I prefer to model my own foliage rather than tweaking various sliders and numbers... However if you are in a pinch for lot's of foliage then generators can definitely help get the job done within time constraints. Programs like Tree[d] can make pretty decent geometry if the values are tweaked just right.

As for assigning your own textures it's just like assigning them to any other model you bring into an engine. Speed Tree for UDK might be a different story I haven't really used it at all.

EDIT:

Here's another good one: Hedges and Topiary a quick tutorial by Vig
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a ton for the info Ben! I was lookin over those threads and programs, tested a few, and decided that because i have a lot of trees and foliage that i'd give SpeedTree a shot.

So i have been working on a few trees and bushes and now i have compiled them all together, imported em to UDK and set them all up and made a nice UDK package for them all so i dont have to re-link them over and over. But now i have ran into a problem. I am a bit of a UDK noob, so it may be an easy fix, but whenever i try to run the level with one of my trees in it, it says something like.. "Was unable to save package, linked to an external reference, blah blah blah"

Any advice? If needed i can reload the scene and post up the entire message.

Thanks in advance!

As soon as i figure out these shenanigans I am gonna be moving on to terrain and actually piecing together all my stuff so i can work on lighting and layout! :D
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Atlus, when you did that little house sculpt, did you sculpt every single brick in there or did you simply clone some ?

And in either case, how many triangles was the final house HP?

Was just curious seeing the unique unwrap for your house.
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I cloned about 5 or 6 bricks around in there. And I dont remember the exact poly count... too damn high -_-
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, heres some progress shots! Its been pretty slow going as i've had errors and issues pretty much every step of the way, but it feels like im learning while im at it :P

5032500106_40d9f9d17e_b.jpg
    5031880979_b7a87fd4e9_b.jpg
    5032499844_d91075f6c3_b.jpg

So far i have gotten everything into UDK and finally made my terrain.. gonna see if i can export it as a ref mesh to model some rock faces into it to hide/break up some of the boring-ness of the terrain. I feel pretty confident with getting meshes and such into UDK, minus collision... which i'll have to look into anyway..

Lighting is temporary, placement is temporary, just getting a feel for UDK placement, ect. Probably going to make a few more plant/tree variations and get some modular clutter like fences and stone piles in there before really hashing out the scene set-up. Finally i'll move onto cascade and kismet to get some nice floaty leaves and some fog.. still needa look into fading out the background into black so the forest looks deep and thick.

~Still Alive
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    - less saturation in the textures
    - more ambient lighting and colour in ambient...do this now...lighting effects your whole scene and authoring textures with unatural lighting can cause issues later...
    - get more appropriate BG in evenm if its just a quick gradient with correct ish colours... balancing these big elements early is the key to getting a good looking scene
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your reply! I am workin now to block out and light the whole scene :)

Any pointers on how to do a proper background? Should i just make a giant sphere and map it to that like the skydomes are?

Also I'm having a problem with the dynamic lighting with the trees on the terrain. I have everything set to display and accept dynamic lights, but they still seem to show up as blobs on the ground with no movement >.<

Thanks again!

-Rawr