Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Royal Scribe

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
Hey everyone, this is a model i've been working on in my free time for a bit.

Concept http://cghub.com/images/view/5964/
From Joy Ang.

Getting close to done, I thought now would be a great time for crits.
low_scribe_wip_03.jpg

It's a fairly dense mesh at around 12k, but I wanted a smooth silhouette so i figured it was worth it.
scribe_wire.jpg

Replies

• PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    This is one of the coolest character concepts I have seen in a long time, and you're model does it great justice. You definitely nailed the smooth silhouette too. The only things that seem off are the legs. The legs seem unnaturally vertical, instead of sloping towards the crotch, but that's probably just your pose. Excellent job, overall. Can't wait to see this finished!
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    This model is a joy to look at, the angular sensation the curves give off is visually perplexing, and add a deep sense of style.

I am a fan of "remove until nothing else can be taken away", but The diffuse seems undervalued to me; particularly the white parts seem unfinished. Perhaps the slightest hint of brown, or a slight application of some detail to those regions would make it pop.

I really like this work, I hope you do more like this.
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    Aww he's so cute! At first glance I thought your avatar was going to eat him...
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, this is pure class..
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    pretty bad ass man, although I wish the scrolls were a different shade of white then the fabric, or maybe even visa-versa
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good man, I really like the soft gradient on the clothes
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome! the only minor crit I have is that the back of her head looks a bit untouched, maybe add a bit more hair texture on it, gradate the length from short in the middle towards long at the tip of her ears just like her face.

Besides that, its a pleasure to see it in 3d! you did an awesome job!

Have you managed to show it off to Joy Ang herself?
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    Excellent work! :)
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Great concept and great 3D model that does the concept justice.
    I remember seeing this concept and thinking how awesome it would be to see it in 3D.

The tail has a bit of a stone feeling to it. I'm not sure what's causing it. But it just doesn't seem quite right to me yet. On the concept the tail seems to get slightly darker brown near the tip, this might pull it away from the gray rock color a bit.

The eyes seem a bit to light. Rodents often have really dark brown/black (sorry, she's really pretty, but still a rodent ;) ) and at the moment the eyes look a bit milky. It's just a tiny detail, but I personally think she'd feel more alive that way.

Anyway, I think you really did an awesome job either way.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great stuff! love it man!

-Woog
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    oh one last thing, after checking with the concept, the eyes need to be darker as MeintevdS already pointed out, Plus her mouth is off, she doesn't have such lips in the concept her mouth is open
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    excellent work, you've really nailed the concept. Simple and elegant, really nice.
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The pelvic area is killer
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    OH MAN...this is great...just me i just wanna see it move..lol
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Just badass man!!!
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Looks great and matches the concept. Wires look good.

The textures looks slightly incomplete because it's a little too clean and perfect. Maybe a little yellowed and aged at the edges of the scrolled paper, some subtle worn-ness to the edges of the clothing, etc. Also, having the eye super reflective like that makes it more difficult to read from a distance than if it were more black with just a single hot point for the specular.

You're like 99% of the way there. Fantastic job in any case. :)
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    Hey everyone, thanks for all the nice comments and critiques :D
    Just got back from vacation so I haven't made any progress, but I gonna try and finish her up soon!

patrickl- thanks man. the legs might seem a bit unnaturally vertical because she has such wide set hips, hopefully once its all posed up it won't seem off.

peterk- thanks a lot man, im definitely planning on yellowing the white parts up a bit and putting some more work into the texture so things look a bit less plastic.

karmageddon - haha thanks :)

bbob- thanks!

konstruct - thanks, since the color looks about the same in the concept, ill probably stick to that. that being said, my model isn't quite matching the concept yet so hopefully once i finish up the textures itll look better.

blackulaDZ- thanks man!

evil- bah! i read the whole mouth area wrong :( it looked like closed pouty lips to me. so i asked a few friends what they saw and got mixed responses, until i finally just asked joy herself and she confirmed the open mouth :P at this point im honestly not sure if ill fix it or not. I had some issues with scaling earlier on in the project and itd be a bit of a mess to try and resculpt/bake the head at this point. Joy seemed to think the lips worked ok though, so if i cant get something better working, i might not make any major changes :poly142: thanks for the crits man :P

shadowforce - thanks :D

meintevds - thanks for the crits. the eyes right now are actually pure black, but the reflections in the shader are turned up way too high so that will be an easy fix :)

woogity - thanks :)

polyhertz - soon i hope haha ;)

chrisradsby - thanks man!

jgcount - haha thanks :P

jungsik - lol yeah me too, im no animator but id love to get her moving. if i can get a decent rig going i might try doing some simple idles or something

hazardous - thanks man! :D

haikai - hey thanks for all the crits man, your dead on with all of them. im gonna do my best to iron out all those issues :)