Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Crit my portfolio

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
Millenia polycount sponsor
http://millenia3d.net/

I know it needs more content, but I'm more worried about the actual implementation/presentation. Is it any good?

Replies

• Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Bit slow for me, and Im not a fan of the garish background, but the design is solid. Something you might want to consider are some more obvious arrows to see more pictures, as its quite easy to miss them. The first time I viewed, I closed the window before i'd realised a button was there!!

Resume section is good......
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    A few things that hit me:
    The main thing that hit me when I open the site is how giant the font is at the top. That might just be me, but everything just seems huge. Not too sure about the blue background. Don't think it really fits with your work. I'm not a fan of lightbox (kinda slow for me too), but if you're going to use it, I'd have the one image pop up that has the texture flats, wires, etc (like the way you have the mac-11) as opposed to having to hit the next button to cycle through them. Not necessary to have your birthdate at the top of the page either.

That might just be me being nit-picky. Great work too.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Images and font might be a lil too big, and the gradient background is kind of distracting. Work looks good though.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I might go with the single image approach instead, I was just experimenting with lightbox. It'd also be good in the sense that it works for those who don't have Javascript enabled.
  • Grey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im going to agree with Drav and Mad. I actually closed your site, read their posts and realized that I missed seeing more pictures(the textures and wire frames) The, maybe if youre going to use the "next picture" function find a way to make it more noticeable, or just use Mad's suggestion and make each pic a separate link. Like the guns though bud.
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    First things first, stop outlining everything in Photoshop. It's a very novice thing to do and it doesn't improve how the font looks, especially when the outline color is white on black text or vise versa. If you want to outline text or background images, then learn that being subtle is sometimes the best way to go about it. Also I see tension and bad layout choices all over the place.

I agree with the other two replies about the background and the font size as well. I am running 1920x1200 resolution and about 3/4 of the page is full of content, yet you only have three pieces on there. What happens when you add 2 more? Anyone running anything smaller than me is only going to see one or two pieces right off the bat, max.

The work looks very good, although I would suggest getting a couple more pieces done. Basically I believe overall your design choice is holding your portfolio back from being better than it is.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    You have guns as your work, but your page looks so easter eggy. Macho it up or at least go with the theme and model rainbows and unicorns. Reduce thumb size. Lightbox does not work in this instance. How do I know you have other pieces of work when I click the thumb? Kinda hidden. Only guns? Anything else I can look at besides 3 pieces of work?
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips Mike, I'm revising the layout atm. Dunno about nixing the 1px borders, I kinda like them :p

Nixed lightbox, will update renders later on with complete specs in one sheet.

The borders actually made with CSS rather than Photoshop btw.

And whats_true, I mentioned in the first post that I know it's not enough content for a serious portfolio yet, but I wanted to have the layout done before the content. Thanks for the tips anyways :)

e:/ eh, I fucked the layout up, I'll fix it tomorrow :p
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump, fixed it now. I still gotta do new renders and fix the not enough content thing, but is the main layout fine now?
  • se7ered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usually i'd say stick to one or 2 fonts but that's not really bothering me as much as the outline on your font's...especially the one on the main page and even more especially the one on the remington...that just makes my brain cringe.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You mean the outline on the render? Yeah, as I said the renders are really old. I'll update them later.

Does anybody read what I say lol :poly142:
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
    dude...who reads?
  • se7ered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the font on the image with the remington renders...where is has your name, says weapon/hard surface artist, etc.....you know what....i'm just gonna give you the basic font speech. stick to 2 fonts over your entire site...3 if you really have to....and don't outline them for the love of whatever....just don't
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll probably do simpler, more professional looking renders with a unified theme soon, matching the front page layout.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    gibson543 wrote: »
    dude...who reads?
    Exactly, model rainbows and unicorns lol & se7ered for repeating yourself :).

I say remove that overlay to your name It hinders the reader I can't really tell what your name is unless I am staring at It for a few seconds. So one right off the bat It should be legible. Two you have to go to photoshop and go to save image for web, and figure out what is a good quality to use that doesn't ruin your image quality the format .png, jpg. ect is up to you.

Otherwise looks good.
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Your models are pretty awesome!

Your portfolio says you're a hardsurface modeler....that makes me think SubD/Poly modeling...but you don't have any of that in your portfolio. Personally I'd like to see some of those HP guns + wires in your portfolio.

I like the overall look of your portfolio, but I agree with se7ered...the font's are hard to read.

Personally, I would take the picture of you out of your portfolio...it's not necessary and it comes off as "I love my face"...which is not cool, lol...your pic as your avatar kinda supports my theory.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe, though most people suggest using a photo for CVs so I figured it states for portfolios too.

I removed it for now anyways, looks better I guess.

Thanks for the tips so far everybody, it's shaping up a lot better than it was :poly121:
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    1. Grunge is so 90s
    2. Grunge and outlines....seriously?
    3. Not bad!!! Is very simple and clean. I think it just needs a little more love.
    4. Tho, what im not seeing is wires, or high polys or texture sheets. No point of showing of your super awesome guns ( which i do think they look sweet by the way ) if your not showing the steps that it takes to get to them.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    take out alllllll of the place holders, it just reminds me you don't have any work.
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    where's the wires etc so we can see how u made them? how long it took you to make them, all these things matter
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://millenia3d.net/cont/p226/rend.jpg

Something like this? The construction shots are kinda tiny and I have to do this to other things too (and perhaps redo this one) but it's an idea.
  • Wombatinahat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    needs some wireframes too, content looks good
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    wire frames should be visible and preferably a dark color, you have wire frame twice in that render. I think you can get away with just doing one with all three, wire,normal map, lowpoly makes It more interesting to me anyways, that's what I did way back and I like It and will continue It, maybe someone else can refute the idea.
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    First impression: Why do you need the 2 links, Gallery and Resume? Make your Resume link download a .PDF or a .DOC and keep your page to one site. Perhaps use a lightbox so that the image pops up?
  • Buddy_DoQ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Images should open in a page (or pop-out), and be a link to the next image (or back to gallery). You went to the trouble of creating these models, so present them in a way that isn't so annoying. If you're low on finished content split up the beauty, wire, and texture sheets. You could easily make just those three models fill up your main page with more thumbs.

Failing any of that, at least keep your images consistent. Each work you have opens up in a totally different layout. Makes me wonder, "is this even by the same artist?" Of the current samples, the Mac 11 is my favorite layout.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Haveing a resume on another page if fine. I personaly hate downloading PDfs and like a quick click to see your resume. If I like it, then Ill download it. With that, you need a PDF and WORD version of your resume for peeps to download. How do you think im gona save it?

Your background is too dark on the shotgun and it would help if you kept all your renders the same format and size. I would go with the nutral grey you have for SIG gun.
  • Intermission
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like how you mentioned it was for a unnanounced UDK title, keep it that way Millenia :)