Home Technical Talk

Zbrush to Max

hey guys, im learning how to do highpoly detail in zbrush then back to max. I create a support pillar for an environment in max, brought into zbrush, used decimation master exported back out. When I import back to max, everything is fine, but the smoothing groups make it look all messed up. Am i forgetting to do something? Or is this how it is suppose to look before i unwrap then project hp to lp

PillarHP.jpg
Pillar.jpg

Replies

• Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Have you tried clearing the smoothing on the decimated mesh? Are you using the decimated mesh as your low-poly mesh or a hi-poly mesh in which to bake from?
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea i cleared the smoothing groups then it looks all tessilated. Im using the decimated mesh and my Low Poly, and i straight export the HP. I plan to use xnormal to bake but i needed to setup uv's on the low mesh first.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Using the decimated mesh as your low-poly is kinda sloppy, you'd get better results and optimisation by retopologising. You'll probably have to use smoothing groups on your low-poly to get rid of the smoothing errors.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark wrote: »
    Using the decimated mesh as your low-poly is kinda sloppy, you'd get better results and optimisation by retopologising. You'll probably have to use smoothing groups on your low-poly to get rid of the smoothing errors.
    Thanks

You know of any good tuts? The Eat3d one is only on mudbox and i dont have that :-(
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    The Eat3D one should transfer easily over to Zbrush if you know your tools.

For something as simple as you have there, just create a box around your hi-poly and cut the indentions out where you sculpted the wear/erosion.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark wrote: »
    The Eat3D one should transfer easily over to Zbrush if you know your tools.

For something as simple as you have there, just create a box around your hi-poly and cut the indentions out where you sculpted the wear/erosion.

rgr that. Thanks